M&T Bank
www.mtb.com Buffalo, NY 5000+ Employees

M&T Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
M&T Bank – US – “M&T Bank”

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers

Bob Wilmers

Pros:
  • "They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked"
    in 17 reviews
  • "If your goal is a stable job that will pay the bills, M&T will definitely cut it"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations"
    in 15 reviews
  • "There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

New rules are not really working for the employees

Senior Teller (Current Employee)
    Lutherville Timonium, MD

ProsGreat hours, flexible schedule for work-life balance

ConsManagement is getting worst by the day. The company puts too much emphasis on sales.
    They are reducing the budget by cutting hours, cutting the supplies budget to the penny. Meanwhile all of those are still needed to provide good customer service and function throughout the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to actually work on your employees' development plan instead of just leaving it as a written sentence in the book. An employee in a position he/she is not suited for is not happy and will never deliver his/her best performance.

Manager 2

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
    Suffern, NY

ProsFair company, decent benefits, good hours, management took personal interest in my personal life. Safe company and very stable work environment.

ConsLow pay for banks, too focused on sales. Maybe a focus on personal professional development would have increased sales without the "push."

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Great people, not so great pay

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood work life balance always. not overworked.

ConsPoor technology, poor pay. takes a long time to get a promotion. outdated processes and too many meeting, far too many meetings. not an exciting culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in young talent

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to work

Project Analyst (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsThis is a good company to learn the ropes of banking quickly. You will be encouraged to work hard and long and you can gain some great experience.

ConsIt would be difficult to make a career at this bank. The salary will not match the level of effort that will be expected. It is too difficult to advance unless you are willing to move to Buffalo. The technology infrastructure is lacking and changes/updates happen too slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore investment is needed in technology to keep up with the competition.

M&T is always short staffed, over worked, and under paid

RB1 (Current Employee)

ProsI love customer service. It's what I was meant to do. And they give you a lot of room to grow and learn.

ConsIn my role, I work sales and the teller line. I am the glue to the branch. But being short staffed for over a year now, this glue has worn thin and is ready to break!! I am pulled every way possible, and I feel I can never say no. I work in a branch where we have a remote drive up, and I am constantly working Saturdays. I may have had off 5 Saturdays in the past 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive Relationship Banker 1 more credit!! Especially when they are working in a short staffed branch and have to work almost every Saturday. I feel I am very overworked and under appreciated.

Relationship manager

ProsSolid and conservative culture

ConsToo lean, so work load is difficult to manage

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people to avoid people leaving because of burn out

Good until the end; beware if you are a departing contractor!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy experience was positive overall, my team highly professional and a pleasure to work with.

ConsI was a contractor - when I submitted a 2-week notice upon securing other work, my supervisor escorted me from the building immediately and refused payment for those remaining two weeks.

The common courtesy of a 2-week notice cost me a full paycheck. If you are a contractor at this firm, beware of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more straightforward and consistent regarding employees or contractors separation from the company. If I were contracting at this firm again I would give no notice of my departure, which would pose a burden to my colleagues.

Great company depending on what department you work in.

Operations Associate III (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsI worked in the headquarters so my review is bias.

Full-Time employees get medical, dental, and vision benefits and there is an optional retirement plan as well. First year employees get 2 weeks of paid vacation. Management is very flexible with sick days and sporadic time off. The lending departments give monthly bonuses based on how well the sales people of the department do.

ConsSome departments hire management based on who they know instead of their experience or education. You often are treated like another unit member instead of an individual. Managers tend to treat the other employees like children. There is a lot of gossip in the workplace and uneven distribution of tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Don't get so consumed in your work that you forget your employees are still people and your title doesn't make you better than them. Show appreciation for the people who do the hard work that management prefers not to do. Allow more than 15 minutes a month for the entire department to have lunches, group activities, or informative meetings.

Great company to work for.

ProsReally have a network willing to help employees

ConsThe pay is fairly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more

Great work environment, great people

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

Pros- Wonderful work atmosphere
    - Great employee benefits
    - Outstanding leadership, outstanding people to work with
    - Very rewarding work
    - All the coffee you can drink

Cons- Parking is somewhat of a disappointment, and a bit pricey
    - Lots of information to take in and absorb, slower learning curve than normal but manageable with practice.

Advice to Senior ManagementA keurig would be awesome

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M&T Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M&T Bank CEO Bob Wilmers. All 240 reviews posted anonymously by M&T Bank employees.