M&T Bank
www.mtb.com Buffalo, NY 5000+ Employees

M&T Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
M&T Bank – US – “M&T Bank”

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers

Bob Wilmers

Pros:
  • "They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked"
    in 17 reviews
  • "If your goal is a stable job that will pay the bills, M&T will definitely cut it"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations"
    in 15 reviews
  • "There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

great company... poor management.

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

Proscompany focuses on lasting customers relationships by providing great customers service.

Conspoor management and small bonuses

Formerly a great bank now being run into the ground, at least retail division

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStrong financial performance
    High turnover in retail banking creates opportunities for advancement
    To be fair, I think the major issues are in retail banking and rest of bank is in good shape

ConsMicro management to an extreme degree. Management talks about the horrors of daily conference calls at competitors, but then creates similar useless tracking and reporting. My division, retail banking, is on a downsizing spree. Most good employees are trying to leave the division or the company for more stable and rewarding jobs. Constant push to make up fake appointment activity to prove you're busy, but at end of the year it's all about results.

I used to like developing my employees but since nobody stays more than a year it's not worth my time...instead I need to make this quarters goal or risk an action plan. Turnover kills my incentive and takes motivation away from many people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like adults. Are you really a VP with authority if scheduling, raises, sales activities, ratings, etc are all decided for you? You are limiting innovation and growth. You're in trouble when all ideas come from top down and people are afraid to give constructive feedback. You can only run the operation in a crisis mode for so long and will limit your ability to succeed and develop leaders.

Partnership across business lines is very poor but local senior retail leadership lack guys to address it. I'm tired of retail being pushed around all the time...no pride amongst our leaders.

Mediocre benefits and very low pay. But they will never fire you.

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat job security. We often joked about how long we could go without doing any work or showing up before they would fire us.

ConsThey don't like investing in their employees. They offer the absolute lowest salary in the industry, they provide the worst health benefits, and do very little to motivate employees. They rather see their employees quit then give them a raise over inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for those fresh out of college and/or new to banking, look elsewhere if you're experienced

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

Pros- Great employee discount website (travel, entertainment, restaurants, etc.)
    - Friendly co-workers

ConsOh where do I begin? For starters, this company has very poor training unless you're in the MDP or SDP program which is for those coming out of college. Those college folks are given the best opportunities in regards to training where they are flown and trained at HQ, given a monthly stipend in addition to a salary, and also given a corporate credit card. It's too bad half of them have Arts degrees and eventually leave the company but the logic that the best training offered is exclusive to this group as opposed to existing employees or experienced new to M&T people is head scratching. The technology here is also very outdated, and the banking products offered are not the greatest. The company has a very minimal presence in the DC / VA area which again makes no sense, why they are focused on buying a bank in in NY /NJ as opposed to growing in DC / VA where there is a lot of assets and still tremendous growth taking place is beyond me, the lack of locations is really hurting the company's business in this market because they cannot compete with the big boys. There is also a heavy lack of talent in the DMV and Baltimore area which probably has something to do with the fact that they pay less than competitors. Oh and one more thing, their health plans are horrble unless you like high deductable plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your best people not just those out of college, dramatically improve training programs and technology, grow in areas that can be profitable for the bank (think DC / VA) as opposed to economicly depressed areas like PA, Baltimore, and Buffalo.

It's a job, nothing more, nothing less

Loan Operations (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsReally nothing out of the ordinary. At least it's one bank that did not tank during the last recession.

ConsIf you don't work for an income producing cost center, management begrudges every dollar spent on you. We had to go up three levels of approval to get the ok to buy a sleeve of Styrofoam cups because they were not on our "approved list of office supplies". Raises for non-management are virtually non-existent. Bank more concerned with performing to meet Wall Street expectations than for their customers. Management doesn't care if employees are dissatisfied - if you quit, they will find someone to work your job for less money which then earns somebody a year end bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. The chasm between management and worker bee is larger than the Grand Canyon. It's very difficult to swallow the line about there not been any money in the budget for raises or better equipment when you get quarterly emails hailing just how well the bank is doing and how much greater the profit from the same period last year.

Great company to work for

Bank Teller (Former Employee)
    Parkton, MD

Prosgreat management, wonderful atmosphere, co-workers and bosses really care about you, lots of training available to help you get to your career goals

Conssometimes they can be slow to promote

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Solid, conservative bank but slow to change

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsGenerally good people to work with. Slackers don't stick around for long. small enough bank to get to interact with higher levels of management.

ConsBank does not do the best job of identifying and promoting high performing females. Very few in upper management levels. A bit of a good ol boy network at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview salaries of current employees to make sure you are paying market wages. Don't hire new people at salaries above current staff. Develop a program to proactively promote, train, advance, recognize high quality women.

M&T Bank is a Main Street bank focused on the community, not a Wall Street bank.

ProsM&T is an amazing company to work for, they truly care about their employees engagement in their careers and community.

ConsPurchased Wilmington Trust during financial crisis, and still dealing with substantial growing pains from that purchase. The merging of the two cultures has not gone well

Advice to Senior ManagementThe merger with Wilmington has not gone well. You may want to figure out how to fix it before all your good M&T employees leave.

Decent place i guess to work

N/A (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsThe benefits are pretty good

ConsWork hours are long and much is expected

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Given an opportunity by M&T after college.

ProsGood place to start a career.

ConsPay is not great. Not a lot of mobility

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M&T Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M&T Bank CEO Bob Wilmers. All 240 reviews posted anonymously by M&T Bank employees.