M&T Bank

www.mtb.com

M&T Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
M&T Bank – US – “M&T Bank”

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers

Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked(in 18 reviews)

• If your goal is a stable job that will pay the bills, M&T will definitely cut it(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations(in 15 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo(in 6 reviews)

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSteady line of promotion capability

ConsDefinite line between upper management and those below.

Great Company

Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat team members, compensation and benefits competitive

ConsOld bank systems. Yo have to look into 6 different tools/ systems for a single item. They could Invest some money into latest technology

Advice to Senior ManagementOld bank systems. Yo have to look into 6 different tools/ systems for a single item. They could Invest some money into latest technology

Secure

ProsJob security is quite high

ConsInternal job postings favor seniority over more qualified people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company... poor management.

Personal Banker (Current Employee)

Proscompany focuses on lasting customers relationships by providing great customers service.

Conspoor management and small bonuses

Formerly a great bank now being run into the ground, at least retail division

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsStrong financial performance
    High turnover in retail banking creates opportunities for advancement
    To be fair, I think the major issues are in retail banking and rest of bank is in good shape

ConsMicro management to an extreme degree. Management talks about the horrors of daily conference calls at competitors, but then creates similar useless tracking and reporting. My division, retail banking, is on a downsizing spree. Most good employees are trying to leave the division or the company for more stable and rewarding jobs. Constant push to make up fake appointment activity to prove you're busy, but at end of the year it's all about results.

I used to like developing my employees but since nobody stays more than a year it's not worth my time...instead I need to make this quarters goal or risk an action plan. Turnover kills my incentive and takes motivation away from many people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like adults. Are you really a VP with authority if scheduling, raises, sales activities, ratings, etc are all decided for you? You are limiting innovation and growth. You're in trouble when all ideas come from top down and people are afraid to give constructive feedback. You can only run the operation in a crisis mode for so long and will limit your ability to succeed and develop leaders.

Partnership across business lines is very poor but local senior retail leadership lack guys to address it. I'm tired of retail being pushed around all the time...no pride amongst our leaders.

Mediocre benefits and very low pay. But they will never fire you.

Analyst (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat job security. We often joked about how long we could go without doing any work or showing up before they would fire us.

ConsThey don't like investing in their employees. They offer the absolute lowest salary in the industry, they provide the worst health benefits, and do very little to motivate employees. They rather see their employees quit then give them a raise over inflation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees.

Accounting & Finance Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back, great communication with managers, work-life balance.

ConsLittle room for advancement, increase salary base.

Great company to work for

Bank Teller (Former Employee) Parkton, MD

Prosgreat management, wonderful atmosphere, co-workers and bosses really care about you, lots of training available to help you get to your career goals

Conssometimes they can be slow to promote

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Solid, conservative bank but slow to change

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsGenerally good people to work with. Slackers don't stick around for long. small enough bank to get to interact with higher levels of management.

ConsBank does not do the best job of identifying and promoting high performing females. Very few in upper management levels. A bit of a good ol boy network at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview salaries of current employees to make sure you are paying market wages. Don't hire new people at salaries above current staff. Develop a program to proactively promote, train, advance, recognize high quality women.

Great Company, the IT department is not a great place to work.

Advance Programmer (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsGreat company. Stable, Growth, and will always use this company.

ConsWill never work there, is not a company that is pro worker.

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!