M&T Bank Reviews

330 reviews filtered by
3.1
M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • Work-life balance can't be beat (generous vacation time and rarely work over time) (in 24 reviews)

• You get the work life balance and in certain cities a lot of people know about M&t (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 17 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 7 reviews)

1. Great, fun, awesome, motivating, lucrative

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

Awesome, fun, great atmosphere, lucrative

Cons

None that I really know of

None

Very good atmosphere, truly care about their employees.

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Amherst, NY

I worked at M&T Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong presence in both Buffalo and Baltimore. They care about the community, the benefits are good and for the most part their employees are happy.

Cons

They try to recruit top talent from elsewhere instead of developing that talent in the city they are located, often leads to high turnover. Undercut a lot of the other banks on starting salary, must come to M&T with experience to move up faster.

Cannot speak to Baltimore, but should focus more on recruiting top talent within Buffalo. We have plenty of intelligent people here in Buffalo that would be a lot less likely to leave your company after a couple years than these "top-tier" programs you recruit from.

3. Loan Officer. Originate loans, collect conditions and help throughout the process.

Former Employee - Loan Officer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Great team work and partners on the branch level

Cons

Little support on the mortgage side. Made you feel like they didn't want to be in mortgage buisness.

Work with their team and not against their team.

5. Employee Friendly

Former Employee - Clerical Intern in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Clerical Intern in Albany, NY

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Good Atmosphere. Managers show great support

Cons

Pay, lack of growth and movement.

None.

Kindest people you'll ever meet

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

The people who work here are funny, kind, considerate and truly one of the best groups of people you'll ever meet. They care about doing what's right and they care about the community.

Cons

They started as a small bank that's starting to really grow in size and complexity

Don't lose the heart of who you are. You are great at community and understanding the needs of your employees and the communities that you operate in. Trust your employees - let them help drive the strategies that will take you forward in to the future.

7. Great Company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at M&T Bank as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, everyone helpful, so much to learn.

Cons

Not too much training in the beginning just a fend for yourself and who you need to figure it out

8. Great Company

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

The job stability is good

Cons

The Salaries are lower than average for the area

9. Tons of middle management. low salary if you are loyal. But great job security and banking benefits

Current Employee - Project Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts on mortgage rates and banking products. Some great employees and managers that will try to push you to succeed. Tons of middle management so there is room to move up.

Cons

Health benefits aren't great, but ok. Tons of middle management- some good and some bad. Good employees are taken at will from departments to assist with the BSA initiatives leaving the old department to cover that work with no additional employees. Salary is below peers and competitors in the area, causing employees to start here and go to another bank for larger pay for a few years then come back at significantly higher pay.

Reviews of Managers should be given more frequently and allow for specifics. Loyalty should be rewarded in merit increases.

10. Middle of the road large bank.

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Good steady work but nothing exciting.

Cons

Pay increases are minimal. Work is not particularly challenging.

11. M&T BANK CALL CENTER

Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Dagsboro, DE
    Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Dagsboro, DE

I worked at M&T Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

M&T bank is a wonderful company to work for. They train new employees and they also care about all of their employees. The nice thing about working in a bank, especially one like M&T, is you can build your way up the ladder. Their starting pay-grade is pretty good and more than other big banks. They also have a variety of banking positions available. My specific supervisor was amazing, by the way.

Cons

I could not stand working at the call center. I had bank experience before working at M&T and I was a teller, so I was dealing with customers, face-to-face (which is more for me) The M&T Bank Call Center is for people that wants to be on the phone all day with customers, relating to banking, whether it is anything from customer service to inbound or outbound sales. Unfortunately, I was in outbound sales, calling customers trying to get them to apply for credit cards, loans and etc.. even being able to save them money, the call center and telephone banking sales was not my thing. I resigned on good terms.

When it comes to outbound sales at the call center, I recommend not calling customers after 5:30-6 pm.

M&T Bank Photos