M&T Bank
www.mandtbank.com Buffalo, NY 5000+ Employees

M&T Bank Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
M&T Bank – US – “M&T Bank”

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers

Bob Wilmers

Pros:
  • "They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked"
    in 14 reviews
  • "If your goal is a stable job that will pay the bills, M&T will definitely cut it"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations"
    in 15 reviews
  • "There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Had an excellent experience, learned so much and forged many connections

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M&T Bank as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people genuinely care about the work they do there. Employees also show a kind regard for those around them and try to create, develop and maintain meaningful relationships. The people who work for the company are loyal, hard working, intelligent and usually very friendly.

ConsThe workplace environment in terms of office design is a bit outdated. Conservative describes it best. Also, promotions from within at entry level positions often take far too long and those who are most valuable in lower level positions are sometimes left hanging in the same position. Also, there seems to be teams that are understaffed where it creates an enormous workload for too few workers and creates great stress on the underlings as well as the superiors sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward lower level individuals with slightly more competitive pay which will in turn justify the long hours and hard work / stress that is part of the job at a low level. Possibly undertake a hiring initiative and create more promotions / opportunities for training etc

New rules are not really working for the employees

Senior Teller (Current Employee)
Lutherville Timonium, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat hours, flexible schedule for work-life balance

ConsManagement is getting worst by the day. The company puts too much emphasis on sales.
They are reducing the budget by cutting hours, cutting the supplies budget to the penny. Meanwhile all of those are still needed to provide good customer service and function throughout the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to actually work on your employees' development plan instead of just leaving it as a written sentence in the book. An employee in a position he/she is not suited for is not happy and will never deliver his/her best performance.

Manager 2

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Suffern, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFair company, decent benefits, good hours, management took personal interest in my personal life. Safe company and very stable work environment.

ConsLow pay for banks, too focused on sales. Maybe a focus on personal professional development would have increased sales without the "push."

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, not so great pay

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

ProsGood work life balance always. not overworked.

ConsPoor technology, poor pay. takes a long time to get a promotion. outdated processes and too many meeting, far too many meetings. not an exciting culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in young talent

Be prepared to work

Project Analyst (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis is a good company to learn the ropes of banking quickly. You will be encouraged to work hard and long and you can gain some great experience.

ConsIt would be difficult to make a career at this bank. The salary will not match the level of effort that will be expected. It is too difficult to advance unless you are willing to move to Buffalo. The technology infrastructure is lacking and changes/updates happen too slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore investment is needed in technology to keep up with the competition.

Great company depending on what department you work in.

Operations Associate III (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked in the headquarters so my review is bias.

Full-Time employees get medical, dental, and vision benefits and there is an optional retirement plan as well. First year employees get 2 weeks of paid vacation. Management is very flexible with sick days and sporadic time off. The lending departments give monthly bonuses based on how well the sales people of the department do.

ConsSome departments hire management based on who they know instead of their experience or education. You often are treated like another unit member instead of an individual. Managers tend to treat the other employees like children. There is a lot of gossip in the workplace and uneven distribution of tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Don't get so consumed in your work that you forget your employees are still people and your title doesn't make you better than them. Show appreciation for the people who do the hard work that management prefers not to do. Allow more than 15 minutes a month for the entire department to have lunches, group activities, or informative meetings.

Relationship manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

ProsSolid and conservative culture

ConsToo lean, so work load is difficult to manage

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people to avoid people leaving because of burn out

M&T is always short staffed, over worked, and under paid

RB1 (Current Employee)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI love customer service. It's what I was meant to do. And they give you a lot of room to grow and learn.

ConsIn my role, I work sales and the teller line. I am the glue to the branch. But being short staffed for over a year now, this glue has worn thin and is ready to break!! I am pulled every way possible, and I feel I can never say no. I work in a branch where we have a remote drive up, and I am constantly working Saturdays. I may have had off 5 Saturdays in the past 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive Relationship Banker 1 more credit!! Especially when they are working in a short staffed branch and have to work almost every Saturday. I feel I am very overworked and under appreciated.

Good until the end; beware if you are a departing contractor!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M&T Bank

ProsMy experience was positive overall, my team highly professional and a pleasure to work with.

ConsI was a contractor - when I submitted a 2-week notice upon securing other work, my supervisor escorted me from the building immediately and refused payment for those remaining two weeks.

The common courtesy of a 2-week notice cost me a full paycheck. If you are a contractor at this firm, beware of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more straightforward and consistent regarding employees or contractors separation from the company. If I were contracting at this firm again I would give no notice of my departure, which would pose a burden to my colleagues.

poor pay, low people skills from senior staff

RB1 (Current Employee)
Binghamton, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Prosbenefits, enjoy the people I work with and get to meet, I like working close to home

Conspay is so low, goals set high , thankless company

Advice to Senior Managementretrain, say thank you , don't pass the buck ( LOL) learn your job, stop cutting corners in the branches

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M&T Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M&T Bank CEO Bob Wilmers. All 210 reviews posted anonymously by M&T Bank employees.