M&T Bank Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked (in 19 reviews)

• I have never worked at a company where there wasn't atleast one pro until I worked at M&T Bank (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 15 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

Team environment...MTB stress individual training and tailor your career growth/training

Cons

better be ready to work hard

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Regular hours that are up to your own discretion.
    Great coworkers and compassionate management.
    Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Office culture can be a bit conservative for some. Sometimes the work would not be challenging.

none

M&T is a great place to work with lot's of opportunities for growth and advancement.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

M&T has given me some amazing opportunities for growth, training, and advancement. I have only been with the company a short period of time and the resources they have spent to help me advance in my career has been truly amazing. This bank believes in slow steady growth and acquisition and really focuses on the relationship between its employees and its customers.

Cons

Sometimes there is a disconnect between the expectations of the corporate office and the regional branch network. I have found that the expectations at the local level are often quite different due to unexpected or unplanned staffing shortages.

I have noticed that the HR Department is often very slow in its hiring process and that there is a continuous shortage in personnel often at the expense of the very thing as a bank that is prized most ... Customer Service.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good and nice working environment

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Dedicated Workforce, understanding working environment

Cons

High level vendor dependency, Big projects always outsourced

More internal effort required for Prjcts

Constant drama but plenty of work to get done.

Former Employee - Support  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced growing position in commercial real estate loan administration. Good team to be apart of at the bank.

Cons

Poor Management in place at the time. Needed supervisory training in order to effectively coach staff. More training would have been beneficial. Appreciation and Recognition would have been appreciated.

Communication is key with your employees. Positive feedback is better received then constant negative feedback.

Was a great company to work for until it became ok to be harassed by fellow co-workers.

Former Employee - Relationship Banker I
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker I

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Above average pay in the industry. Benefit are ok not the best. Paid holidays. Company discounts.

Cons

No room to advance. Typically hire outside the company for promotions. Try to make you push products and not give customers the full details. Call nights calling on the same people over and over.

Listen to your employees. Their your ticket to hit goals. If someone comes to you with ethical issues do something don't bush it off.

Not much chance of advancement...

Current Employee - Teller  in  Oakland, MD
    Current Employee - Teller in Oakland, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

They are flexible with scheduling and willing to work around my college schedule with my part-time schedule. They are also usually able to give me more hours if I ask for them.

Cons

Large company and outside of your branch you don't really feel like you matter. The management sucks. My region is more focused on the larger banks than the small town one that I work in so the managers are free to come and go as they please and basically do nothing. Work is passed down to the tellers when the platform officers should be doing it. Pay isn't great considering its a large corporation.
    Been part-time for 2 years and there is really no chance to advance up.

Be more involved in the day to day running of the business.

No Wilmington Trust

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

interesting subject matter, good people

Cons

Hard to find your footing, number of bodies is indirectly proportionate to amount of work.

Central technology is great

Current Employee - Business & Planning Analyst IV  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business & Planning Analyst IV in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

Lots of growth potential as CT is expanding
    Recognition of a job well done by many levels of management
    Interesting work to be done
    Almost every co worker is friendly and genuinely cares about others.
    I like what I do and management seems to care that you like your job.
    They attempt to comp time when lots of overtime hours have to be put in
    There are plenty of people willing to jump in and help where they can.

Cons

Management staff should spend more time helping grow young, talented, and ambitious individuals instead of programs like mdp that are almost all reserved for external candidates.

Pay a more competitive wage. There is a wide variance in pay practices in different areas. You should not promote people into the lowest $ in the range for that job grade. It is a slap in the face.

Within the next 10 years, a lot of the bench strength in CT will be retiring. Please be more interested in developing those who want to fill those positions. Mdp program should be more than a feel-good and should be half internal candidates. Take a little less notice of people's titles when considering opinions.

Great If It Fits You

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

M&T is conservative. While that is not a bad thing, it is one of the few companies where all the employees recognize that the bank is conservative and the culture is built around that. Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to lend a hand or mentor. The work-life balance is also perfect. That, however, does not work for everyone and can drive particularly ambitious people away.

Cons

People are always asking for feedback before things are pushed through. It is great that the bank cares about its employees' opinions, but it also means change takes a long time to occur.

I like where the bank is going and where it stands. It has maintain a solid foundation and continues to do so, but it might also be okay to allow a little ambition to seep through so that there's faster progress.

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!