www.mtb.com

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • Work-life balance can't be beat (generous vacation time and rarely work over time) (in 24 reviews)

• You get the work life balance and in certain cities a lot of people know about M&t (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 17 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits, hard to move up

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The time off policy is amazing. You can buy extra time each year and they don't make you feel guilty for taking it. Company utilitizes programs that are beneficial for the job.

Cons

Overtime - my department was on mandatory overtime with limits to what hours could be worked which made getting the hours in difficult. Managment is micro-managed and have a tendancy to breath down your neck. They also don't know the job and depend on the staff for helping others instead of learning to become capable on their own.

Teach the supervisors more about their job instead of making them focus on trainings that don't matter. Try to take into account that when the staff see's their boss in meetings all day and they are left on their own constantly that the staff are going to slack off.

Great stepping stone for your career.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to move up.

Cons

Sacrifice a little pay for the opportunity to grow quickly.

Great place to work!

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Very nice people, really enjoyed working there

Cons

Somewhat old-fashioned, but not bad

Keep on moving forward, you're doing great!

Mostly average folks doing good work.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job stability, low pressure most of the time.

Cons

The management has a preference to temporarily contract subject matter experts rather than invest in the growth of the technical staff.

Invest in the staff... training, challenges, salary. The best caliber talent is attracted to a company offering career growth potential. IMO, the current staffing model will continue the path of good, yet mostly mediocre staff.

ok

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

great to start with as a career

Cons

too much politics and low pay

Unhealthy working conditions

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

I wish I could think of a few nice things....

Cons

Inadequate training, lack of surveillance causes workplace dishonesty, medical benefits inadequate, schedule can change on a moments notice, continuously functions with an inadequate staff that causes a very stressful and dangerous workplace environment, total lack of concern for life-work balance.

Rework your training to include more in branch training and less computer training, change your security/surveillance to bring it up to date and cut down on employee dishonesty, provide better benefits or at least offer more than one choice, hire an adequate number of people to run your branches-your people can be more productive if they are less stressed, care about your employees the way you claim to.

Great place to work if you like your job

Former Employee - Collections and Recovery Specialist in Getzville, NY
    Former Employee - Collections and Recovery Specialist in Getzville, NY

I worked at M&T Bank as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

My manager was very easy to talk to and always willing to help. She provided excellent feedback and was ready to back you up when you were right. My teammates and other coworkers were friendly and always willing to answer questions. The atmosphere was very comfortable as my position did not require micromanaging.

Cons

I was under a 12-month contract. When a position opened on my team for a permanent position, I was told I would not be granted an interview because I was not a "true" employee of M&T and only internal employees would be considered. Internal employees included term and temp employees who worked directly for the bank. It turns out that other internal employees were also excluded because they knew how to do their jobs extremely well and were more than competent. The hiring manager obviously wanted only mediocre employees who would not be considered a threat.

Stop hiding behind ridiculous ad hoc rules and hire people who are best for the bank and for the customers, not those who are yesmen.

Involved in their community

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

Cares about their community and those who live in it

Cons

Ability for growth but pay scale increases are not what you would think that

Horrible Senior Management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Developed some good personal friendships.

Cons

Try to put everyone into a cookie cutter model regardless of your experience. Senior management out of touch with what actually goes on in the branch on a daily basis. Senior management threatened by anyone who has more aptitude, skills or knowledge than them, therefore limiting your chance for career advancement. Senior management shows favoritism. If you're a "yes man" and well liked you will move on. If you have your own ideas, are a progressive thinker or contradict senior management, you will not be considered for career advancement. Very strict lending structure making it very hard to compete in market. Outdated and inefficient computer systems. Pay scale far below where it should be.

Stop playing favorites and put good quality leadership in place to support employees.

M&T is a solid financial institution and a reasonably good place to work.

Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, including time off policies. Solid reputation in the market and discounts on products. Employee Stock ownership program is available

Cons

Lower wage scale than that of competition. Very strict lending policies creating an inability to compete effectively.

Take more risks.