M&T Bank Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked (in 19 reviews)

• I have never worked at a company where there wasn't atleast one pro until I worked at M&T Bank (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 15 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

No Wilmington Trust

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

interesting subject matter, good people

Cons

Hard to find your footing, number of bodies is indirectly proportionate to amount of work.

Central technology is great

Current Employee - Business & Planning Analyst IV  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business & Planning Analyst IV in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

Lots of growth potential as CT is expanding
    Recognition of a job well done by many levels of management
    Interesting work to be done
    Almost every co worker is friendly and genuinely cares about others.
    I like what I do and management seems to care that you like your job.
    They attempt to comp time when lots of overtime hours have to be put in
    There are plenty of people willing to jump in and help where they can.

Cons

Management staff should spend more time helping grow young, talented, and ambitious individuals instead of programs like mdp that are almost all reserved for external candidates.

Pay a more competitive wage. There is a wide variance in pay practices in different areas. You should not promote people into the lowest $ in the range for that job grade. It is a slap in the face.

Within the next 10 years, a lot of the bench strength in CT will be retiring. Please be more interested in developing those who want to fill those positions. Mdp program should be more than a feel-good and should be half internal candidates. Take a little less notice of people's titles when considering opinions.

Great If It Fits You

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

M&T is conservative. While that is not a bad thing, it is one of the few companies where all the employees recognize that the bank is conservative and the culture is built around that. Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to lend a hand or mentor. The work-life balance is also perfect. That, however, does not work for everyone and can drive particularly ambitious people away.

Cons

People are always asking for feedback before things are pushed through. It is great that the bank cares about its employees' opinions, but it also means change takes a long time to occur.

I like where the bank is going and where it stands. It has maintain a solid foundation and continues to do so, but it might also be okay to allow a little ambition to seep through so that there's faster progress.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent industry bank

Former Employee - Head Teller  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Head Teller in Wayne, PA

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours for the bank were decent during the week. Only had to work 1 Saturday a month which was awesome.

Cons

The overcall pay was low for the work that a head teller had to perform

Great Company, High Turnover

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Company to work for. They pay you great, work hours are wonderful and my co workers were also good people.

Cons

High turnover rate due to issues with money such as overages or shortages, fraudulent checks or cash. Very sales driven.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at M&T Bank as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hours are 9-5 and they won't play any overtime. The work is easy enough once you get the hang of it. My co workers are friendly and have been very helpful.

Cons

The work is inconsistent, some days I am really busy and then I will go days without doing more than an hour of work. The computers are extremely old and they need to update their software.

Built a large commercial loan portfolio at M&T

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Salisbury, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Progressive, but conservative bank that is very fair with lending and personnel-wages, bonus, stock options etc.

Cons

Local management was lacking and aloof.

Work more with local management to ensure the vision of the company is being passed and supported in the local areas.

It's a job.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people generally. They pay you.

Cons

Little to no recognition for work done if it's not sales. Constantly changing goals and focus... literally every 6 weeks. Low wages, non competitive and minuscule increases.

Loved the people, hated the politics

Former Employee - Branch Manager  in  Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Frederick, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can help customers, autonomy, career opportunities

Cons

Politics can cause you to not get promotions.

Politics are not the way to run a business, keep in mind those that are interested in being promoted.

The worst employment decision ever made!!!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The time off was nice but that's about it.

Cons

Beware to anyone considering working here...especially if you're outside the organization and have never been in a "Bank" environment. The culture is horrible...especially in the building I was in. The majority of people were non-social and made you feel uncomfortable by their unfriendliness and they distanced themselves from you. There's no fraternization, no camaraderie with other coworkers....just a constant "CYA" atmosphere where everyone is afraid to offend the next person and if you do, beware! If you don't fit in or conform...watch out!

The work environment's most common statement is, "The Bank" says do this or "The Bank" says do that and it's very similar to the Wizard of Oz whereby everyone has to listen without any voice or opinion!! You'll never have your ideas or suggestions heard as "The Bank" has their own way of doing things and if you don't like it, either keep your mouth shut or find another job.

The management I was subjected to was awful and never provided any guidance as a new employee to get acclimated to "The Bank" ways and the unwritten rules of how to work with the numerous departments that we had to deal with. Speaking of....it's insane how many people are involved with the simplest things all because of the CYA environment that exists there. The waste of time, energy and effort is unbelievable all because of "The Bank's" culture.

The management (which are all VP's) only cares to "look" good in their supervisors eyes and could care less about anything else...especially the people that work under them. They will fabricate and exaggerate reports all to satisfy the folks in Buffalo. During a week long stay in the hospital, my supervisor never called or visited to see how I was doing and never asked how I was once I returned. She only had one thing on her mind...get projects done so SHE could look good. That spoke volumes about her character and that is when I knew I made a mistake going to M&T.

I will say that at the Branch level the people there were more friendly and outgoing and perhaps it's because they have more "people skills" unlike the "institutionalized zombies" in the corporate offices.

To anyone considering employment at M&T....just be careful for what "think" what you're getting into. It's NOT AT ALL what they tell you it will be. – less

No comment !!

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!