M&T Bank Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked (in 20 reviews)

• I have never worked at a company where there wasn't atleast one pro until I worked at M&T Bank (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 16 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good job, but people are set in their ways

Current Employee - Project Analyst IV  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Project Analyst IV in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good bank, knowledgeable employees, they stick by their policies. Lots of community groups. IT is a little behind, but a large push from above is catching the bank up with its competitors.

Cons

Old culture, most employees have been with the bank for over 20 years. My pay is half of those i work with/above. IT is behind it's competitors. Bank could provide better benefits to it's customers (they have too many fees)

Strong bank with solid foundation and growth prospects

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

The bank is growing and on a recent acquisition binge which doesn't show signs if letting up in the near future. That means there's is room for growth and expansion depending on the department you're in, but likely most of them. Pay is higher than average for comparable jobs, at least in the Western New York area. This is a bank that cares about it's bottom line, obviously, but it also cares about the communities it operates in and it's employees, in as much as you would expect from a bank.

Cons

Benefits could be better but are roughly on par with most regional and large banks. The 401(k) match could be more generous.

None at this time. Opportunity is plentiful.

Great place to work

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

Team environment...MTB stress individual training and tailor your career growth/training

Cons

better be ready to work hard

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Regular hours that are up to your own discretion.
    Great coworkers and compassionate management.
    Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Office culture can be a bit conservative for some. Sometimes the work would not be challenging.

none

No Communication

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company values helping the client.

Cons

Was not warned that my salaried status was changing to hourly pay until a month after it happened. IT system is from the stone age and creates customer frustration when employees cannot access information in a timely manner. Consesus-based decision making creates for a long waiting period for anything to change.

Used to be a good place to work.

Current Employee - Bank Teller
    Current Employee - Bank Teller

I have been working at M&T Bank for more than 5 years

Pros

My coworkers. Benefits package. Paid holidays.

Cons

Over worked. No recognition for success. Too many changes without communication. Under paid.

Constant drama but plenty of work to get done.

Former Employee - Support  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Support in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced growing position in commercial real estate loan administration. Good team to be apart of at the bank.

Cons

Poor Management in place at the time. Needed supervisory training in order to effectively coach staff. More training would have been beneficial. Appreciation and Recognition would have been appreciated.

Communication is key with your employees. Positive feedback is better received then constant negative feedback.

M&T is a great place to work with lot's of opportunities for growth and advancement.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

M&T has given me some amazing opportunities for growth, training, and advancement. I have only been with the company a short period of time and the resources they have spent to help me advance in my career has been truly amazing. This bank believes in slow steady growth and acquisition and really focuses on the relationship between its employees and its customers.

Cons

Sometimes there is a disconnect between the expectations of the corporate office and the regional branch network. I have found that the expectations at the local level are often quite different due to unexpected or unplanned staffing shortages.

I have noticed that the HR Department is often very slow in its hiring process and that there is a continuous shortage in personnel often at the expense of the very thing as a bank that is prized most ... Customer Service.

good and nice working environment

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Dedicated Workforce, understanding working environment

Cons

High level vendor dependency, Big projects always outsourced

More internal effort required for Prjcts

Great If It Fits You

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

M&T is conservative. While that is not a bad thing, it is one of the few companies where all the employees recognize that the bank is conservative and the culture is built around that. Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to lend a hand or mentor. The work-life balance is also perfect. That, however, does not work for everyone and can drive particularly ambitious people away.

Cons

People are always asking for feedback before things are pushed through. It is great that the bank cares about its employees' opinions, but it also means change takes a long time to occur.

I like where the bank is going and where it stands. It has maintain a solid foundation and continues to do so, but it might also be okay to allow a little ambition to seep through so that there's faster progress.

M&T Bank Photos

M&T Bank

+ Add Photo

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!