M&T Bank
www.mandtbank.com Buffalo, NY 5000+ Employees

M&T Bank Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014
M&T Bank – US – “M&T Bank”

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers

Bob Wilmers

Pros:
  • "They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked"
    in 14 reviews
  • "If your goal is a stable job that will pay the bills, M&T will definitely cut it"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations"
    in 15 reviews
  • "There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very beneficial and enjoyable experience

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThey make it easy for a contractor to come right in and start work immediately. The internal staff were very helpful in helping me come up to speed. The processes and procedures were well defined.

ConsI did not find any negatives with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing to help contractors settle into the environment.

Conservative, Solid Bank

Management Development Program Trainee (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for less than a year

ProsStability, Integrity. Predictability. Work-life balance.

ConsSalaries cannot compete with other commercial banks. Takes a long time to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to change with the times.

Regional Sales Manager

Retail Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Binghamton, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe culture of people first is evident throughout the organization. M&T Bank values its customers and employees, they demonstrate this with every decision made at the senior management level. It's not by luck that it stock price is amongst the highest in the industry, and has remained at that level for the past 10 years.

ConsIt is a very fast paced organization. If you are not willing to work hard, focus and be a leader; this is not the organization for you.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what you have been doing.

New rules are not really working for the employees

Senior Teller (Current Employee)
Lutherville Timonium, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat hours, flexible schedule for work-life balance

ConsManagement is getting worst by the day. The company puts too much emphasis on sales.
They are reducing the budget by cutting hours, cutting the supplies budget to the penny. Meanwhile all of those are still needed to provide good customer service and function throughout the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be good to actually work on your employees' development plan instead of just leaving it as a written sentence in the book. An employee in a position he/she is not suited for is not happy and will never deliver his/her best performance.

Eight years for nothing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAs long as you don't abuse time off requests and sick days the company is accommodating.

ConsThe focus has changed too much and is too generalized, needs to have variance for each branch (some branches do not have a lot of new customers, and others have a steady influx; you can't expect customers who have been coming to a branch for 30 years and get every new service to get more services they don't need). Too much focus is now put on sales and self-service at the teller line, and the two cancel one another out. How can you talk customers into more products and services while in the same breath basically telling them to use the ATM, web and text banking, and call customer service with questions? Then they don't come in as much or request new services online instead of in the branch. Difficult to advance-they will readily cross-train you, then instead of allowing you to transition to another position they'll want you to do both your job and the other one you trained for, in the same amount of hours and for the same pay as one position. Most branches I had the opportunity to visit, the staff was like an oppressed, frazzled family, always waiting for the other shoe to drop. If you want to work the desk side and not the teller side, this bank will not be a good fit-they now only have one or two tellers per branch, and expect platform employees, assistant managers, and managers to run a drawer on the teller line to make up for the lack of tellers. All while meeting your quarterly sales quotas. It used to be a really great place to work; people who left frequently would come back because they liked it so much. These changes have been too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet tellers focus on cash handling and account maintenance, and let platform go back to focusing on sales and more complex service issues. Let the tellers go back to referring customers to the platform for further discussion on trying new products.

Manager 2

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Suffern, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFair company, decent benefits, good hours, management took personal interest in my personal life. Safe company and very stable work environment.

ConsLow pay for banks, too focused on sales. Maybe a focus on personal professional development would have increased sales without the "push."

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Great people, not so great pay

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time

ProsGood work life balance always. not overworked.

ConsPoor technology, poor pay. takes a long time to get a promotion. outdated processes and too many meeting, far too many meetings. not an exciting culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in young talent

Be prepared to work

Project Analyst (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis is a good company to learn the ropes of banking quickly. You will be encouraged to work hard and long and you can gain some great experience.

ConsIt would be difficult to make a career at this bank. The salary will not match the level of effort that will be expected. It is too difficult to advance unless you are willing to move to Buffalo. The technology infrastructure is lacking and changes/updates happen too slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore investment is needed in technology to keep up with the competition.

Had an excellent experience, learned so much and forged many connections

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at M&T Bank as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people genuinely care about the work they do there. Employees also show a kind regard for those around them and try to create, develop and maintain meaningful relationships. The people who work for the company are loyal, hard working, intelligent and usually very friendly.

ConsThe workplace environment in terms of office design is a bit outdated. Conservative describes it best. Also, promotions from within at entry level positions often take far too long and those who are most valuable in lower level positions are sometimes left hanging in the same position. Also, there seems to be teams that are understaffed where it creates an enormous workload for too few workers and creates great stress on the underlings as well as the superiors sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward lower level individuals with slightly more competitive pay which will in turn justify the long hours and hard work / stress that is part of the job at a low level. Possibly undertake a hiring initiative and create more promotions / opportunities for training etc

Great company depending on what department you work in.

Operations Associate III (Former Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked in the headquarters so my review is bias.

Full-Time employees get medical, dental, and vision benefits and there is an optional retirement plan as well. First year employees get 2 weeks of paid vacation. Management is very flexible with sick days and sporadic time off. The lending departments give monthly bonuses based on how well the sales people of the department do.

ConsSome departments hire management based on who they know instead of their experience or education. You often are treated like another unit member instead of an individual. Managers tend to treat the other employees like children. There is a lot of gossip in the workplace and uneven distribution of tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect. Don't get so consumed in your work that you forget your employees are still people and your title doesn't make you better than them. Show appreciation for the people who do the hard work that management prefers not to do. Allow more than 15 minutes a month for the entire department to have lunches, group activities, or informative meetings.

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at M&T Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for M&T Bank CEO Bob Wilmers. All 214 reviews posted anonymously by M&T Bank employees.