www.mtb.com

Updated March 3, 2015
3.1

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • Work-life balance can't be beat (generous vacation time and rarely work over time) (in 24 reviews)

• You get the work life balance and in certain cities a lot of people know about M&t (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 17 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at M&T Bank as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, everyone helpful, so much to learn.

Cons

Not too much training in the beginning just a fend for yourself and who you need to figure it out

Great Company

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

The job stability is good

Cons

The Salaries are lower than average for the area

Great company

Current Employee - Business and Planning Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business and Planning Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

Great company to work for, job security, people/coworkers

Cons

healthcare, promotions, lower salary than most banks

Acceptable

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good vacation and Sick time policy. Not as good as some other banks but better than other places. Good transferable skills. All bank holidays off.

Cons

Lots of politicking, hard to move up. Poor health insurance.

Promote more from within.

Don't stay too long

Current Employee - MIS Manager
    Current Employee - MIS Manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company is "safe" financially for a bank, never lost money when economy turned, due to being a non-speculative cash flow based lender. Flexible work arrangements are becoming more and more accepted. As a general rule, most senior managers care about their employees and treat them as real people.

Cons

Raises are almost never dictated by performance. The longer you stay, the more your salary will be hurt compared to the market. External talent gets corporate title promotions faster then longer tenured employees attempting to rise up the ranks.

Actions should mimic message to employees. Internal messaging places high value on tenured employees and maintaining employee loyalty, however the company does not financially value high performing current employees, placing higher value on external talent. I have first hand experience of being forced to hire a high performing internal employee who has climbed from the bottom of the company at 30% less than an external hire, yet these are supposed to be peers under me doing the same role. That is insulting to the internal employee.

I, overall, liked the company. My biggest complaint was upper management.

Former Employee - Credit Counselor in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Credit Counselor in Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for overall.

Cons

Senior Management needs some definite improvement.

Take time to really and genuinely care for your employees. Don't make them just feel like "a number".

What a great community

Current Employee - Part-time Teller
    Current Employee - Part-time Teller

I have been working at M&T Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love the 'hometown' bank feel. Love how everyone knows one another. Training was simple and easy.

Cons

Old technology. Old way of banking. I see M&T in 2015 is amping up their 'way of life' but all I have been noticing lately is 'sales, sales, sales.' I hate how they're starting to push tellers to RB1 and further.

Stop trying to push tellers to advance in their career if they're truly comfortable where they are.

Great Company, Excellent Benefits!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

M&T Bank is a great company to work for! The staff are always friendly and engaging. You never feel "left" out or unappreciated! It has such a "hometown" feeling- where everybody knows everybody! Excellent benefits, such as medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and more (even for PT employees)!

Cons

If you are part-time, then the hours can be somewhat unpredictable since you are scheduled based on business needs. Also, the pay could be better...

Please know that those working at the Branch level are doing the best we can! Being the "face" of a company can be both demanding and rewarding.

OK

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid, stable bank. Offers good time off policies to employees, particularly when you are an officer.

Cons

Training is weak and there is little commitment to employee growth and development. Compensation must be had at time of hire or at promotion because it will not come otherwise. Work-life balance is weak.

Follow-through with the core values and the commitment we all pretend is there. Stop asking for more with less all the time without rewarding and compensating people fairly.

OK Experience

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, easy, incredibly flexible (but I've designed my job to be this). Two things will survive the nuclear hollocaust: roaches and M&T Bank.

Cons

Systemic under-investment in IT, not enough support for your front-line sales, no proprietary access to databases or systems that help a salesman(women) in their job....basically one has to pay for these tools out of own pocket. M&T, you're sending us to a gun fight with a hand knife.

Your crusade in under-investing in IT is no longer cute and adorable. Oh, and stop exporting the "Buffalo Advantage" (e.g. systemicly underpaying your Buffalo employee base) to your other markets. Employees do have a choice and will vote with their feet.

M&T Bank Photos