M&T Bank Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014

M&T Bank Chairman and CEO, M&T Bank Corporation and M&T Bank Bob Wilmers
Bob Wilmers

Pros
  • They have great respect for work-life balance, more than anyplace I've ever worked (in 19 reviews)

• I have never worked at a company where there wasn't atleast one pro until I worked at M&T Bank (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • HR ignores grievances of labor law violations in addition to M&T Bank policy violations (in 15 reviews)

• There isn't much room for advancement unless you want to move to Buffalo (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, High Turnover

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Company to work for. They pay you great, work hours are wonderful and my co workers were also good people.

Cons

High turnover rate due to issues with money such as overages or shortages, fraudulent checks or cash. Very sales driven.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at M&T Bank as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hours are 9-5 and they won't play any overtime. The work is easy enough once you get the hang of it. My co workers are friendly and have been very helpful.

Cons

The work is inconsistent, some days I am really busy and then I will go days without doing more than an hour of work. The computers are extremely old and they need to update their software.

Built a large commercial loan portfolio at M&T

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Vice President in Salisbury, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Progressive, but conservative bank that is very fair with lending and personnel-wages, bonus, stock options etc.

Cons

Local management was lacking and aloof.

Work more with local management to ensure the vision of the company is being passed and supported in the local areas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing Bank Program

Former Employee - District Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - District Manager in New York, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people that work in the branch and the systems are good.

Cons

Bank Staff is overloaded with sales goals. Main focus is to sell sell sell regardless if the products are fit for the customer

Your losing good people with your unobtainable goals

Decent industry bank

Former Employee - Head Teller  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Head Teller in Wayne, PA

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours for the bank were decent during the week. Only had to work 1 Saturday a month which was awesome.

Cons

The overcall pay was low for the work that a head teller had to perform

Relationship Banker

I have been working at M&T Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

bankers hours, flexible scheduling, transparency and security with job since the bank is only growing, and many rooms to move into different jobs with so many branches/central offices

Cons

Staffing shortages almost all of the time, poor training practices and high sales pressure, sales requirements same across all markets regardless of size

Not bad

I worked at M&T Bank full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and mostly good people. Overall a pretty good place to work.

Cons

Employee growth was pretty much a myth. Job opportunities far too often went to outside hires even when qualified applicants where in house. Far too often good people left the company because promotions could only be found outside the company.

Need to better engage employees.

Continuous Improvement in M&T

I worked at M&T Bank as an intern

Pros

It was fun working with the team. All were kind and helpful.

Cons

Departmental gaps are too large

have regular meetings with the heads of all the departments so that all are updated

The worst employment decision ever made!!!

Former Employee - Manager  in  Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The time off was nice but that's about it.

Cons

Beware to anyone considering working here...especially if you're outside the organization and have never been in a "Bank" environment. The culture is horrible...especially in the building I was in. The majority of people were non-social and made you feel uncomfortable by their unfriendliness and they distanced themselves from you. There's no fraternization, no camaraderie with other coworkers....just a constant "CYA" atmosphere where everyone is afraid to offend the next person and if you do, beware! If you don't fit in or conform...watch out!

The work environment's most common statement is, "The Bank" says do this or "The Bank" says do that and it's very similar to the Wizard of Oz whereby everyone has to listen without any voice or opinion!! You'll never have your ideas or suggestions heard as "The Bank" has their own way of doing things and if you don't like it, either keep your mouth shut or find another job.

The management I was subjected to was awful and never provided any guidance as a new employee to get acclimated to "The Bank" ways and the unwritten rules of how to work with the numerous departments that we had to deal with. Speaking of....it's insane how many people are involved with the simplest things all because of the CYA environment that exists there. The waste of time, energy and effort is unbelievable all because of "The Bank's" culture.

The management (which are all VP's) only cares to "look" good in their supervisors eyes and could care less about anything else...especially the people that work under them. They will fabricate and exaggerate reports all to satisfy the folks in Buffalo. During a week long stay in the hospital, my supervisor never called or visited to see how I was doing and never asked how I was once I returned. She only had one thing on her mind...get projects done so SHE could look good. That spoke volumes about her character and that is when I knew I made a mistake going to M&T.

I will say that at the Branch level the people there were more friendly and outgoing and perhaps it's because they have more "people skills" unlike the "institutionalized zombies" in the corporate offices.

To anyone considering employment at M&T....just be careful for what "think" what you're getting into. It's NOT AT ALL what they tell you it will be. – less

No comment !!

It's a job.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people generally. They pay you.

Cons

Little to no recognition for work done if it's not sales. Constantly changing goals and focus... literally every 6 weeks. Low wages, non competitive and minuscule increases.

Worked for M&T Bank? Contribute to the Community!