M&T Bank Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
338 reviews filtered by

Kindest people you'll ever meet

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

The people who work here are funny, kind, considerate and truly one of the best groups of people you'll ever meet. They care about doing what's right and they care about the community.

Cons

They started as a small bank that's starting to really grow in size and complexity

Advice to Management

Don't lose the heart of who you are. You are great at community and understanding the needs of your employees and the communities that you operate in. Trust your employees - let them help drive the strategies that will take you forward in to the future.

2. Worst company to ever work for...will never bank or do business with anyone associated with M&T Bank.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Reisterstown, MD
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Reisterstown, MD

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They make it seem like there are a lot of supportive roles and people that will support you throughout your career. Which was not true.

Cons

Lack of training and mentoring. Was hired for a Personal Banker 1 position and was told Employee satisfaction was #1 but the way they treated you when you made a small mistake was like when you're back in high school and instead of positive reinforcement they will fire you. Personally had an experience where I negotiated a check for a customer that was deemed fraudulent a month later and I followed policies and procedures and the check seemed to be "good" yet was terminated due to the customer claiming they didn't write a check for $500 and deemed the check fraudulent.

Advice to Management

Don't low ball people on their salaries. I was told on the original interview the salary was $38k-40k and when I was offered the position they paid me more than $8k less than what they originally quoted me. Don't fire someone based on one small mistake and have some back bone and stand up for your employees.

3. Great Company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at M&T Bank as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great company, everyone helpful, so much to learn.

Cons

Not too much training in the beginning just a fend for yourself and who you need to figure it out

5. Great Company

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

The job stability is good

Cons

The Salaries are lower than average for the area

6. Tons of middle management. low salary if you are loyal. But great job security and banking benefits

Current Employee - Project Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discounts on mortgage rates and banking products. Some great employees and managers that will try to push you to succeed. Tons of middle management so there is room to move up.

Cons

Health benefits aren't great, but ok. Tons of middle management- some good and some bad. Good employees are taken at will from departments to assist with the BSA initiatives leaving the old department to cover that work with no additional employees. Salary is below peers and competitors in the area, causing employees to start here and go to another bank for larger pay for a few years then come back at significantly higher pay.

Advice to Management

Reviews of Managers should be given more frequently and allow for specifics. Loyalty should be rewarded in merit increases.

Middle of the road large bank.

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Good steady work but nothing exciting.

Cons

Pay increases are minimal. Work is not particularly challenging.

8. M&T BANK CALL CENTER

Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Dagsboro, DE
    Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Dagsboro, DE

I worked at M&T Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

M&T bank is a wonderful company to work for. They train new employees and they also care about all of their employees. The nice thing about working in a bank, especially one like M&T, is you can build your way up the ladder. Their starting pay-grade is pretty good and more than other big banks. They also have a variety of banking positions available. My specific supervisor was amazing, by the way.

Cons

I could not stand working at the call center. I had bank experience before working at M&T and I was a teller, so I was dealing with customers, face-to-face (which is more for me) The M&T Bank Call Center is for people that wants to be on the phone all day with customers, relating to banking, whether it is anything from customer service to inbound or outbound sales. Unfortunately, I was in outbound sales, calling customers trying to get them to apply for credit cards, loans and etc.. even being able to save them money, the call center and telephone banking sales was not my thing. I resigned on good terms.

Advice to Management

When it comes to outbound sales at the call center, I recommend not calling customers after 5:30-6 pm.

9. Some sketchy stuff going on

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Getzville, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of something to write here, besides the fact that a few friends were there and that was cool, and they let you buy lunch

Cons

Horrible managers that would often do some very sketchy things, many associates are beligerent and disgusting and encouraged to be so, others were just rude and ignorant

Advice to Management

change the whole atmosphere

10. Bad experience, uncomfortable environment.

Former Employee - Teller in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Teller in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at M&T Bank part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, major holidays off, benefits even for P/T workers.

Cons

Old machines, low pay even with past experience, favoritism among management

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly.

Don't stay too long

Current Employee - MIS Manager
    Current Employee - MIS Manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company is "safe" financially for a bank, never lost money when economy turned, due to being a non-speculative cash flow based lender. Flexible work arrangements are becoming more and more accepted. As a general rule, most senior managers care about their employees and treat them as real people.

Cons

Raises are almost never dictated by performance. The longer you stay, the more your salary will be hurt compared to the market. External talent gets corporate title promotions faster then longer tenured employees attempting to rise up the ranks.

Advice to Management

Actions should mimic message to employees. Internal messaging places high value on tenured employees and maintaining employee loyalty, however the company does not financially value high performing current employees, placing higher value on external talent. I have first hand experience of being forced to hire a high performing internal employee who has climbed from the bottom of the company at 30% less than an external hire, yet these are supposed to be peers under me doing the same role. That is insulting to the internal employee.

M&T Bank Photos