M&T Bank Reviews

332 reviews filtered by

1. M&T BANK CALL CENTER

Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Dagsboro, DE
    Former Employee - Telephone Sales Representative in Dagsboro, DE

I worked at M&T Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

M&T bank is a wonderful company to work for. They train new employees and they also care about all of their employees. The nice thing about working in a bank, especially one like M&T, is you can build your way up the ladder. Their starting pay-grade is pretty good and more than other big banks. They also have a variety of banking positions available. My specific supervisor was amazing, by the way.

Cons

I could not stand working at the call center. I had bank experience before working at M&T and I was a teller, so I was dealing with customers, face-to-face (which is more for me) The M&T Bank Call Center is for people that wants to be on the phone all day with customers, relating to banking, whether it is anything from customer service to inbound or outbound sales. Unfortunately, I was in outbound sales, calling customers trying to get them to apply for credit cards, loans and etc.. even being able to save them money, the call center and telephone banking sales was not my thing. I resigned on good terms.

When it comes to outbound sales at the call center, I recommend not calling customers after 5:30-6 pm.

2. Some sketchy stuff going on

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Getzville, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I can't think of something to write here, besides the fact that a few friends were there and that was cool, and they let you buy lunch

Cons

Horrible managers that would often do some very sketchy things, many associates are beligerent and disgusting and encouraged to be so, others were just rude and ignorant

change the whole atmosphere

3. Bad experience, uncomfortable environment.

Former Employee - Teller in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Teller in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at M&T Bank part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, major holidays off, benefits even for P/T workers.

Cons

Old machines, low pay even with past experience, favoritism among management

Treat everyone fairly.

Don't stay too long

Current Employee - MIS Manager
    Current Employee - MIS Manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company is "safe" financially for a bank, never lost money when economy turned, due to being a non-speculative cash flow based lender. Flexible work arrangements are becoming more and more accepted. As a general rule, most senior managers care about their employees and treat them as real people.

Cons

Raises are almost never dictated by performance. The longer you stay, the more your salary will be hurt compared to the market. External talent gets corporate title promotions faster then longer tenured employees attempting to rise up the ranks.

Actions should mimic message to employees. Internal messaging places high value on tenured employees and maintaining employee loyalty, however the company does not financially value high performing current employees, placing higher value on external talent. I have first hand experience of being forced to hire a high performing internal employee who has climbed from the bottom of the company at 30% less than an external hire, yet these are supposed to be peers under me doing the same role. That is insulting to the internal employee.

Acceptable

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good vacation and Sick time policy. Not as good as some other banks but better than other places. Good transferable skills. All bank holidays off.

Cons

Lots of politicking, hard to move up. Poor health insurance.

Promote more from within.

I, overall, liked the company. My biggest complaint was upper management.

Former Employee - Credit Counselor in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Credit Counselor in Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for overall.

Cons

Senior Management needs some definite improvement.

Take time to really and genuinely care for your employees. Don't make them just feel like "a number".

8. Great company

Current Employee - Business and Planning Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business and Planning Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

Great company to work for, job security, people/coworkers

Cons

healthcare, promotions, lower salary than most banks

9. OK

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid, stable bank. Offers good time off policies to employees, particularly when you are an officer.

Cons

Training is weak and there is little commitment to employee growth and development. Compensation must be had at time of hire or at promotion because it will not come otherwise. Work-life balance is weak.

Follow-through with the core values and the commitment we all pretend is there. Stop asking for more with less all the time without rewarding and compensating people fairly.

10. Not really sure how they make money

Current Employee - Business & Planning Analyst in Getzville, NY
    Current Employee - Business & Planning Analyst in Getzville, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It gave me a job, and I was able to cash my checks from them, not sure what else to say about them besides its a bank

Cons

Horrific management and some very questionable behavior. They have no benefits that could/should be compared to any other company.

Get some real world experience, work for a real company first and then come back to this company and try to make it better, There is nothing but opportunities for it to improve. A complete overhaul would still leave this lacking.

11. What a great community

Current Employee - Part-time Teller
    Current Employee - Part-time Teller

I have been working at M&T Bank part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love the 'hometown' bank feel. Love how everyone knows one another. Training was simple and easy.

Cons

Old technology. Old way of banking. I see M&T in 2015 is amping up their 'way of life' but all I have been noticing lately is 'sales, sales, sales.' I hate how they're starting to push tellers to RB1 and further.

Stop trying to push tellers to advance in their career if they're truly comfortable where they are.

M&T Bank Photos