M&T Bank Reviews

330 reviews filtered by

1. Great company!!

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

M&T is a very conservative financial institution. They care deeply about employee engagement and believe that their employees are their most valuable asset. The opportunities for advancement within M&T are excellent because they have positioned themselves well to acquire other banks in the coming years. The upper management is very involved in the branch network and you will often see an executive level vice president conducting a town hall meeting with tellers to gain their insight on solving new problems as the banking industry evolves.

Cons

Nothing major really. Starting salaries for some positions may be a bit low, in line with the banks conservative culture. Hard work and a great attitude does not go unnoticed, however, and these individuals see promotions and incentive pay very quickly.

Keep up the great work!!!

Good starting place for some

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Great manager who went to bat for her staff and who made me feel like a valuable employee. Company benefits could have been better but could also have been far worse.

Cons

Bank begrudges every dollar spent on or for a non-income producing cost centers. Management is not interested in employee feed back unless it is full of glowing praise for the bank. Unless you are one of the "chosen ones", it is impossible to move up the ladder.

Be willing to listen to all employee feedback and not write off the negative as just disgruntled individuals.

3. One of the worst companies I've ever worked for.

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Haven't got any. They bought my employer Wilmington trust and stole our vacation time. Wouldn't recommend them to an enemy.

Cons

Most of their IT support is outsourced to Synergy, and Synergy runs their Field Engineers to the ground every day, night, and weekend. They'll even tell you to your face, "We operate with a very thin staff."

Get a clue.

5. It was a good experience working for them. However, advancement was always difficult to move forward within the company

Former Employee - Relationship Liaison in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Relationship Liaison in Arlington, VA

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Military benefits, employee discounts, co-workers very friendly and willin to always help. Tuition reimbursement. Training was beneficial.

Cons

Movin up within the organization. Advancing in positions whether it was level 1 or level 3

I've worked for M&T Bank for 5 yrs following a bank merger .

Current Employee - Personal Banker IV in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Personal Banker IV in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

M&T is great at promoting within. If you do your job and you can sell there is plenty of room for advancement.

Cons

The systems are very out of date, this results in time consuming maintenance. There is a huge focus on the number of appointments made instead of the quality. M&T also loves to micromanage....there is a report for every report!! This is frustrating for employees who do there job.

Employees need more of an incentive to sell. The compensation does not seem worth the effort.

CCAR jobs

Former Employee - CCAR Modeler in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - CCAR Modeler in Buffalo, NY

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Access to hot jobs in the market. Connect with recruiters and move on!!! I am glad I left M&T more than a year ago.

Cons

Long hours, hostile environment, advancements and bonuses not based on your efforts or work quality. Inappropriate jokes and comments, favoritism.

Executives of the banks should pay attention to concentration of "bullies" in the department, high employee turnover and employee complaints.

8. Relationship banking

Former Employee - Relationship Banker I
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker I

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

nothing really bad I can say

management is fantastic

9. Great stepping stone for your career.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager II in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager II in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to move up.

Cons

Sacrifice a little pay for the opportunity to grow quickly.

10. Summer MDP

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Good jobs for those wishing to stay in Buffalo

Cons

Low salaries, don't fire anyone

Great benefits, hard to move up

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The time off policy is amazing. You can buy extra time each year and they don't make you feel guilty for taking it. Company utilitizes programs that are beneficial for the job.

Cons

Overtime - my department was on mandatory overtime with limits to what hours could be worked which made getting the hours in difficult. Managment is micro-managed and have a tendancy to breath down your neck. They also don't know the job and depend on the staff for helping others instead of learning to become capable on their own.

Teach the supervisors more about their job instead of making them focus on trainings that don't matter. Try to take into account that when the staff see's their boss in meetings all day and they are left on their own constantly that the staff are going to slack off.

M&T Bank Photos