M&T Bank Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
341 reviews filtered by

1. At the Core they Teach you How Banking is Done!!

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great collegiate culture. Everyone wants to do right by the clients and the firm. Many lifers who love working there. There is a certain love for what the firm stands for. They treat employees with dignity and respect. They also teach you the basics of every single function so you truly can take tangible skills anywhere else.

Cons

Sometimes because of where it is located it can be deemed provincial in the way they approach diversity and other similar global issues.

Advice to Management

You need a more diverse bench for Senior Management. This is hard to acquire, but it is doable with the right professionals at the helm of HR and Diversity.

A good company to gain experience

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

I had a great office experience. My co workers were very friendly and helpful. We worked together as a team and made it easy to come to work. They had good benefits along with paid time off.

Cons

The raises are scarce, and not many options to rise inside the company unless you want to relocate to Buffalo. Sometimes I felt that they were more worried about the fee income on the accounts than how the changes would effect the consumer. Upper management seemed to get the bulk of the bonuses and raises while the general population would not even get a cost of living raise.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more as they are the face of the bank on a daily basis. Spread the bonuses and raises across the board as having disgruntled employees talking to customers everyday is not a profitable way of doing business.

3. OK Experience

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, easy, incredibly flexible (but I've designed my job to be this). Two things will survive the nuclear hollocaust: roaches and M&T Bank.

Cons

Systemic under-investment in IT, not enough support for your front-line sales, no proprietary access to databases or systems that help a salesman(women) in their job....basically one has to pay for these tools out of own pocket. M&T, you're sending us to a gun fight with a hand knife.

Advice to Management

Your crusade in under-investing in IT is no longer cute and adorable. Oh, and stop exporting the "Buffalo Advantage" (e.g. systemicly underpaying your Buffalo employee base) to your other markets. Employees do have a choice and will vote with their feet.

5. Good Bank, Frustrating Employer

Former Employee - Commercial Banking
    Former Employee - Commercial Banking

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some genuinely good people working here. The bank operates upon solid principles, and they are a far cry from the over-leveraged risk factories that submarined the economy in 2007-8. There are many managers within the company that genuinely care about the well-being of their employees, and overall the company is very loyal to their employees. It feels like a throwback company, to a time when employees worked at a single company their whole life. That’s a good thing and a bad thing.

Cons

The bank is conservative to a fault. It’s fine to be conservative in lending and in the type of risk you’re willing to take, but overall, everything at M&T just moves very slowly. Decisions are made slowly. Technology changes slowly. Everything is just slow.

They pay a lot of lip service to “thought leadership” and generating new ideas, but more often than not new ideas simply die on the vine, cut off by layer upon layer of executive approval and compliance review and committee nonsense. I’ve seen so many good ideas brought up again and again in meetings—often, managers and executives roundly agree that it’s a great idea and would help the bank—and then see it slowly disappear, because there aren’t any mechanisms in place to actually make it happen.

As many other reviewers have said, they also don’t pay terribly well. Raises and bonuses are tiny, unless you’re in a sales position and you’re exceeding your targets… this, combined with the bureaucratic mess I just described, makes it really easy to get discouraged—it’s hard to find motivation to go the extra mile when you know a) you efforts probably won’t amount to anything, because the company won’t change, and b) you probably won’t be rewarded for your efforts. (And if you are rewarded, it will more often be in the form of a promotion—bringing far more additional responsibilities than additional money.)

Not surprisingly, given all of the above, I watched many, many talented colleagues leave for competitors or leave banking altogether before I finally left. While there are many, many very good people still working at the bank, the loss of talent does leave the bank a little hollow—there’s a lot of mediocrity in the middle. (Lots of people who aren’t talented or motivated to realize they could be making more money elsewhere, along with the people who simply know they don’t have to do a great deal of work to remain employed at M&T, because they never fire anyone).

There’s also the technology issue. Anyone who’s ever been a customer of M&T can tell you they’re about a decade behind the curve in terms of technology, and it’s no better on the inside. Ancient machines, laughably outdated software, clunky proprietary systems…

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to just practice what you preach. You love to say that M&T wants to be the best place your employees have ever worked… so put some resources toward making that happen. You want your employees to take ownership and make this bank as great as it could (should) be? Reward them for their efforts. Give them leeway to take (calculated) risks. And for the love of God, give them the tools to compete. Windows XP was a lovely OS fifteen years ago… now it belongs in a museum, not corporate workstations. Otherwise, you’ll continue to watch great talent walk out the door.

6. Exellent Training

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong investment in their employees with training for security licenses to management principals and everything in between.

Cons

Hours can be long and if something goes wrong at the branch you cannot leave until it is resolved.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employee welfare and improve the software.

7. Do not recommend.

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

Good work experience, learned a lot as an intern.

Cons

No diversity. Horrible office culture. Everyone was very traditional and conservative-- M&T prides itself on that. No sense of progress or moves to improve anything, because what they're doing "works" for them.

8. Challenging

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Reading, PA

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

amazing bank with amazing employees

Cons

Upper management, most (not all) like to micro Management. They do not understand what happens at the branch level nor do they care.

Advice to Management

Realize what your staff brings to the table. Listen to the front lines. They're the ones that make this bank successful. Over communication is key

9. Relationship Banker

Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker I in Fairfax, VA

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

• Duties include serving as a contact between the teller line and the platform, ensuring customer driven lobby management is maintained while optimizing both the customer experience and lobby sales/referrals.
    • Performing accurate and timely processing of teller transactions, resolving service issues, assisting customers with accounts (including account opening).
    • Profile customers to identify financial needs (including the referring of investments to the platform as opportunities are identified).
    • Manages a small customer/retention portfolio and supervises and coaches staff.
    • Adheres to the requirements of federal registration under the SAFE Act.
    • Responsible for overall branch operations in the Branch Manager's absence.

Cons

We have to stay on top of our Goals and take proper steps to achieve it at all times

Advice to Management

I like dealing with the public in the process deep the relationship at all times so they stay committed to our bank at all times and I was able to achieve it very successfully.

Intern

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Getzville, NY
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Getzville, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really friendly, the work area is nice, work life balance is perfect, flexible schedule, lots of parking spots, good cafeteria food

Cons

The work there becomes monotonous and it can get quite boring. There isn't a lot of opportunities and the work you do doesn't seem to be paid attention to

11. Depends on your branch

Current Employee - Teller in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Teller in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits for part time employees
    Bi-weekly pay
    Paid vacation
    Federal Holidays off
    Short training period

Cons

Some managers are unprofessional
    Teller manager makes it clear who she does and does not like
    Certain people get special treatment while others are treated like dogs

Advice to Management

Make sure EVERYTHING is presented to potential employees BEFORE they accept the job offer. Managers don't always do a good job of that.

M&T Bank Photos