M&T Bank Reviews

Reset

Don't stay too long

Current Employee - MIS Manager
    Current Employee - MIS Manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is "safe" financially for a bank, never lost money when economy turned, due to being a non-speculative cash flow based lender. Flexible work arrangements are becoming more and more accepted. As a general rule, most senior managers care about their employees and treat them as real people.

Cons

Raises are almost never dictated by performance. The longer you stay, the more your salary will be hurt compared to the market. External talent gets corporate title promotions faster then longer tenured employees attempting to rise up the ranks.

Advice to Management

Actions should mimic message to employees. Internal messaging places high value on tenured employees and maintaining employee loyalty, however the company does not financially value high performing current employees, placing higher value on external talent. I have first hand experience of being forced to hire a high performing internal employee who has climbed from the bottom of the company at 30% less than an external hire, yet these are supposed to be peers under me doing the same role. That is insulting to the internal employee.

Acceptable

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good vacation and Sick time policy. Not as good as some other banks but better than other places. Good transferable skills. All bank holidays off.

Cons

Lots of politicking, hard to move up. Poor health insurance.

Advice to Management

Promote more from within.

3. Great company

Current Employee - Business and Planning Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Business and Planning Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at M&T Bank

Pros

Great company to work for, job security, people/coworkers

Cons

healthcare, promotions, lower salary than most banks

5. OK

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid, stable bank. Offers good time off policies to employees, particularly when you are an officer.

Cons

Training is weak and there is little commitment to employee growth and development. Compensation must be had at time of hire or at promotion because it will not come otherwise. Work-life balance is weak.

Advice to Management

Follow-through with the core values and the commitment we all pretend is there. Stop asking for more with less all the time without rewarding and compensating people fairly.

6. Great Company, Excellent Benefits!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

M&T Bank is a great company to work for! The staff are always friendly and engaging. You never feel "left" out or unappreciated! It has such a "hometown" feeling- where everybody knows everybody! Excellent benefits, such as medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and more (even for PT employees)!

Cons

If you are part-time, then the hours can be somewhat unpredictable since you are scheduled based on business needs. Also, the pay could be better...

Advice to Management

Please know that those working at the Branch level are doing the best we can! Being the "face" of a company can be both demanding and rewarding.

7. What a great community

Current Employee - Part-time Teller
    Current Employee - Part-time Teller

I have been working at M&T Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the 'hometown' bank feel. Love how everyone knows one another. Training was simple and easy.

Cons

Old technology. Old way of banking. I see M&T in 2015 is amping up their 'way of life' but all I have been noticing lately is 'sales, sales, sales.' I hate how they're starting to push tellers to RB1 and further.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to push tellers to advance in their career if they're truly comfortable where they are.

8. At the Core they Teach you How Banking is Done!!

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great collegiate culture. Everyone wants to do right by the clients and the firm. Many lifers who love working there. There is a certain love for what the firm stands for. They treat employees with dignity and respect. They also teach you the basics of every single function so you truly can take tangible skills anywhere else.

Cons

Sometimes because of where it is located it can be deemed provincial in the way they approach diversity and other similar global issues.

Advice to Management

You need a more diverse bench for Senior Management. This is hard to acquire, but it is doable with the right professionals at the helm of HR and Diversity.

A good company to gain experience

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at M&T Bank

Pros

I had a great office experience. My co workers were very friendly and helpful. We worked together as a team and made it easy to come to work. They had good benefits along with paid time off.

Cons

The raises are scarce, and not many options to rise inside the company unless you want to relocate to Buffalo. Sometimes I felt that they were more worried about the fee income on the accounts than how the changes would effect the consumer. Upper management seemed to get the bulk of the bonuses and raises while the general population would not even get a cost of living raise.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more as they are the face of the bank on a daily basis. Spread the bonuses and raises across the board as having disgruntled employees talking to customers everyday is not a profitable way of doing business.

10. OK Experience

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at M&T Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable, easy, incredibly flexible (but I've designed my job to be this). Two things will survive the nuclear hollocaust: roaches and M&T Bank.

Cons

Systemic under-investment in IT, not enough support for your front-line sales, no proprietary access to databases or systems that help a salesman(women) in their job....basically one has to pay for these tools out of own pocket. M&T, you're sending us to a gun fight with a hand knife.

Advice to Management

Your crusade in under-investing in IT is no longer cute and adorable. Oh, and stop exporting the "Buffalo Advantage" (e.g. systemicly underpaying your Buffalo employee base) to your other markets. Employees do have a choice and will vote with their feet.

11. Good Bank, Frustrating Employer

Former Employee - Commercial Banking
    Former Employee - Commercial Banking

I worked at M&T Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some genuinely good people working here. The bank operates upon solid principles, and they are a far cry from the over-leveraged risk factories that submarined the economy in 2007-8. There are many managers within the company that genuinely care about the well-being of their employees, and overall the company is very loyal to their employees. It feels like a throwback company, to a time when employees worked at a single company their whole life. That’s a good thing and a bad thing.

Cons

The bank is conservative to a fault. It’s fine to be conservative in lending and in the type of risk you’re willing to take, but overall, everything at M&T just moves very slowly. Decisions are made slowly. Technology changes slowly. Everything is just slow.

They pay a lot of lip service to “thought leadership” and generating new ideas, but more often than not new ideas simply die on the vine, cut off by layer upon layer of executive approval and compliance review and committee nonsense. I’ve seen so many good ideas brought up again and again in meetings—often, managers and executives roundly agree that it’s a great idea and would help the bank—and then see it slowly disappear, because there aren’t any mechanisms in place to actually make it happen.

As many other reviewers have said, they also don’t pay terribly well. Raises and bonuses are tiny, unless you’re in a sales position and you’re exceeding your targets… this, combined with the bureaucratic mess I just described, makes it really easy to get discouraged—it’s hard to find motivation to go the extra mile when you know a) you efforts probably won’t amount to anything, because the company won’t change, and b) you probably won’t be rewarded for your efforts. (And if you are rewarded, it will more often be in the form of a promotion—bringing far more additional responsibilities than additional money.)

Not surprisingly, given all of the above, I watched many, many talented colleagues leave for competitors or leave banking altogether before I finally left. While there are many, many very good people still working at the bank, the loss of talent does leave the bank a little hollow—there’s a lot of mediocrity in the middle. (Lots of people who aren’t talented or motivated to realize they could be making more money elsewhere, along with the people who simply know they don’t have to do a great deal of work to remain employed at M&T, because they never fire anyone).

There’s also the technology issue. Anyone who’s ever been a customer of M&T can tell you they’re about a decade behind the curve in terms of technology, and it’s no better on the inside. Ancient machines, laughably outdated software, clunky proprietary systems…

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to just practice what you preach. You love to say that M&T wants to be the best place your employees have ever worked… so put some resources toward making that happen. You want your employees to take ownership and make this bank as great as it could (should) be? Reward them for their efforts. Give them leeway to take (calculated) risks. And for the love of God, give them the tools to compete. Windows XP was a lovely OS fifteen years ago… now it belongs in a museum, not corporate workstations. Otherwise, you’ll continue to watch great talent walk out the door.

RSS Feed </> Embed