MAACO Reviews

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014
2.6

David Lapps

Good company, good service for consumers

I worked at MAACO full-time

Pros

No national competition means upside potential for company.

Cons

New management team lacks automotive industry experience.

Try to maintain family feeling with franchisees.

Great company but a huge headache

Former Employee - Estimator/Appraiser Auto Damage
    Former Employee - Estimator/Appraiser Auto Damage

I worked at MAACO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working for private owner.
    Paid vacation (5 days) after a year which can roll over unused days to the next year.
    Good experience for a beginner.

Cons

No organization. Difficult to run production smoothly when you deal with retail all over paint jobs, collision & insurance jobs, fleet vehicles, taxi's, car dealers. Everybody is looking for a discount just bc it's MAACO. No supervision, no consequences for mistakes made. Employees have little to no work ethic. No protocols or procedures for anything. Just whatever the owner feels like at that moment. It's hard to pull quality work out of a shop when so few people even care, including the owner. The wrath of an angry customer always falls on the estimator, which had little control over how/when the car was repaired once it was dropped off. It's like pulling teeth to try to pull a customers car through the "production line". The problem is the paint line staff. The owner can't hire good quality staff that will do quality work for less than quality pay.

Increase salaries/hourly rates and attract more qualified individuals. Develop a new management system that will include electronic parts invoices and accurate position of vehicle repair status. Better scheduling for commercial/fleet vehicles. Taxi's should not take priority over customer pay or insurance jobs. A new game plan is needed to provide a better experience for the customers and employees.

Whittier, CA Franchise - horrible shop management skills!

Former Employee - Estimator/Appraiser Auto Damage in Whittier, CA
    Former Employee - Estimator/Appraiser Auto Damage in Whittier, CA

I worked at MAACO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good entry level experience, close to home, cheaply priced service which is easy to sell.

Cons

Depending on franchise, pay is base + 3% of PRODUCTION. If shop is not managed well, like in my case, then no matter how hard you work in the office, you will still only get paid what the shop produces. I brought in 25k in sales one week, but was only paid based off 4k of production. =/

Need to hire separate shop managers to manage shop.

Good place to work, stable owner who believes in educating his employees in their field.

Former Employee - Estimator/Appraiser in Pawtucket, RI
    Former Employee - Estimator/Appraiser in Pawtucket, RI

I worked at MAACO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Maaco has been around a long time, and they have tried and proven procedures that provide positive results with the right personnel.

Cons

The right personnel was not always in place.

Thank you for the opportunity to help bring your franchise to the next level, while helping me retain the knowledge and believes I walked in the door with.......

Great experience in my sales career.

Current Employee - Estimator in Layton, UT
    Current Employee - Estimator in Layton, UT

I have been working at MAACO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Took the time to train on estimation of cars. Was able to learn skills about the body and paint industry that I was looking to gain. Gave me the opportunity to spend more time with my family which was a great benefit I was looking for at the time.

Cons

Not much room for position advancement. Which is the nature of the industry.

Great job if you're just out of high school or trying to make ends meet temporarily.

Current Employee - Taper in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Taper in Tampa, FL

I have been working at MAACO

Pros

The schedule. It's 7-5 Mon-Fri. Hard to find a schedule like that. They do pay for holidays. It's not hard.

Cons

Poor management. No future. Some of the work subjects you to dangerous chemicals...and dust...dust...dust. Absolutely no benefits. Your coworkers are usually kind of dumb.

Hire less people in your stores and pay them more. My shop is over staffed and no one is really making a decent wage.

They promise the world, but do not teach you what you really need to know.

Current Employee - Franchise Owner
    Current Employee - Franchise Owner

I have been working at MAACO

Pros

Name brand , being your own boss, access to products and supplies at discount prices. nice office setup, tiered pricing boards help with sales.

Cons

Over the years, Ive seen a lot of franchisee's fail, most times its been due to lack of support from corporate.

Maaco really should rethink its support system, meaning, its infield support at the franchise location level. There is virtually no sales support, there are some good tech support guys to teach
    you how to run the back of your shop, ( the production side ) but in the front, learning how to contact & acquire fleet, dealer, corporate, city, state, goverment accounts there is basically no support.

Negative

Former Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist
    Former Employee - Dispute Resolution Specialist

I worked at MAACO

Pros

Large national company and the pay was pretty good

Cons

Weak management and generally poor working conditions.