MAC Cosmetics

Be The First To
Add Photos

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey

John Demsey

Pros:
  • "Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Great job when you're young, tons of free makeup perks, great training"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Sales goals, many over the top personalities can become tiring"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not without perks, but understand this is a lifestyle

Assistant Retail Manager (Current Employee)

ProsProfessinal/artistic development. I've been sent to other states to attend roundtable discussions and attended master classes. Your trainer will probably have worked fashion week somewhere in the world

Discount/gratis

Tuition reimbursement

Pay/salary really great considering it's basically a mall job

Prestige of job (althought that's on the decline)

Benefits/401k are excellent

Potential for growth is amazing... If you're good at politics

ConsThe work/life balance is non existent. You will eat, sleep, dream, think and live Mac 24/7. You are expected to make the impossible possible. If traffic is slow at counter, what are you going to do? You better have a plan! Are you going to reach out to outside groups and invite them in? Create a mini event along with the other 98 events Mac stresses you out with? What are you going to do because unlocking the doors and hoping for the best just isnt enough....direct quote.

Understand that your personal relationships will suffer greatly. Many Mac employees are divorced and single because mac is #1 in your life before family, friends, spouse, etc. This includes hobbies and education. Kiss both of those goodbye.

You will be expected to relocate time and time again so I hope you don't have dreams of owning a home one day. The motto is, "If ya wanna grow, ya gotta go."

You will be doing work on breaks and at home unpaid.

Numbers truly are everything. Most people who come to this brand for artistry leave or get fired. Any Mac manager will tell you makeup artistry is last priority to everything else. It can get cut throat due to this fact.

Mac pays well but this is because you honestly do yourself what 3 employees should be responsible for. This is why Mac has a terrible customer service reputation. It's called multitasking but really it's making one person be responsible for helping 3 or more customers at a time while stocking, cleaning, booking for events, completing paperwork, schematicing, maintaining your aus, ipt, viva glam goal, adding people to the clientele database (2 per shift minimum), calling clients to harass them to come in and spend money, and making your sales goal. This is what a slow day looks like during the slower months. Ever get a rude mac artist help you? Do you often feel rushed when shopping at Mac? This is why. The artist needs you to buy and leave so s/he can get to the other 500 tasks at hand. One client I had told me a story about an employee doing paperwork during their entire interaction not even making eye contact.

Another thing to consider is outside expenses. You will have updates and meetings constantly and the expectation is that you have new, trendy clothes for all. This gets expensive. Trust, I spend at least $150 a month on grooming alone.

It is very cliquey and favoritism runs rampant. You gotta be good at saying a lotta words with little meaning but sound good. I know firsthand because I've had a lot if growth in a short amount of time. This however leads to people who are not effective or prepared being in management positions. They are terrible leaders but could talk a good game to the right person at the right time.

Regardless of the all ages, races, sexes creedo, the preference is young, pretty and Caucasian. What they mean is they want money from all ages, all races and all sexes. It's simply a marketing strategy to display some level of diversity at counter so it appeals to each demographic.

Being constantly surrounded by bitter, disgruntled employees who only stick around for a decent check is another downside.

Customers can be a pain, but that's any retail gig honestly.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet a job be a job. Understand that just because you a take a retail Job and make it a LITTLE more exciting doesn't mean we owe you our entire lives. This is why you're losing employees at the rate you are. Mac's turnover rate needs to be looked at and analyzed critically and objectively.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Place to be creative yet KEEP PERSPECTIVE..It is Retail after all

ProsMany benefits for PT & FT, always new products, trainings every 3 months to update trends for every season. Endless free makeup supplies. Good hourly wages! The term "starving artist" does not apply here. Its a place to be creative and be compensated well for it. Where else can you express a creative outlet and be compensated for it?!

ConsBe prepared to work most Saturdays, it sucks, but its part of Retail. Can be difficult to be promoted with the company for many factors. If you work in an area where there are low volume doors, there are not many positions available to be promoted to. You HAVE to relocate. So, if you want to make a career out of MAC, work in a store/region that is higher volume, or relocate. This IS a business, we have to generate money to constitute staffing needs. Many creative people do not "buy in" to this concept. Keep perspective. Managers are not consistent across the co. in terms of ability to lead people & manage a business, and its NOT the mgrs fault. ELC needs better training. After all, we are a company of make-up artists. NOT business degree holders or HR degree holders! Also, SRM, MRO, FEDS can choose to promote based on personal views alone, and that is discouraging. Ive seen one persons opinion control the destiny of a career. Can be very subjective vs objective.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you visit locations for a "Market Tour" get down to whats really happening! Let the teams be transparent and have a voice. Each location has different needs. Remember we are a diverse brand in many ways. Re-locate people who have held a position in the same area for to long, its stunts growth.

Leadership is emotionally charged and lacking in positive employee guidance

Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBest pro: I don't work there anymore.

ConsA number of Vice Presidents (and even Senior Vice Presidents) are overly emotional, self-based and lack the proper tools/skills to lead a team. Most are reactionary or deflect responsibility to SVPs, who are mostly not interested in hearing thoughts of staff, and only interested in what the competition is doing.

I'm not kidding when I say that a VP walked into a meeting, kicked his feet onto the table and whined, "Why am I here?" to a meeting he called.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to value you team you have as they are rapidly leaving and moving on to work for your competitors.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack Luster Experience

Washington, DC

ProsGreat pay
    Great Job growth (if you want to wait forever)

ConsGreat if you have no kids or social life
    Only concerned about goals and money

An interesting place to make a career, better be good a brown nosing if you want to get ahead.

Retail Manager (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsCreativity, freedom at work. Pay for relative experience levels and compared to similar jobs at department stores the pay is better.

ConsMAC is your life .. 1st priority over family friends etc ...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe regional managers often break rules/play favorites/ and sometimes break employment laws .. but if you try to complain to corporate you will get black balled .. as the HR people are buddies with the executive managers

Great company lost to Estee Lauder

Third Key Holder (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

Prospay, gratis, training, opportunity, networking.

Consscheduling, attitude, politics, consistancy of policy use

Mac artist

New York, NY

ProsGreat training
    Genorous discount
    Great company to start with if you wanna bacome a make up professional

ConsUneducated management
    Very clichish
    HR is not helpful when you have issues in management
    Race can affect your placement in the company (in my experience)
    Its not what you know its who you know
    Very sales driven, artistry has gone out the window over the years
    Work to life balance is a joke to this company , unless you are in upper managment

High school all over again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay
    You can be an individual
    Piercings tattoos are accepted
    All black everyday is nice
    Learn about product
    Learn new techniques and artistry

ConsPolitical
    Rude managers that talk down to you
    Gossiping at the counter
    Backstabbing
    Freelancers will start with good hours then drop to none at all.. For a long time. Like 3 months
    If you are pretty they will be jealous and rude to you
    Takes up your life
    All they care about is selling no customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementYou aren't in a position to talk down to others, or tell people they are inferior. MAC itself is going downhill and you aren't helping at all.

Money over artistry

Columbia, MD

ProsGreat discount, free makeup. Anything else I'm typing is just to fill the 20 word minimum for this section. Not sure what else to put here because there weren't any more pros regarding my experience.

ConsNo understanding for work life balance, moving up has everything to do with your sales numbers and not artistic ability. No sense of team. Your coworkers will do whatever it takes to steal your sale because not making numbers is the only thing you are really measured by.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize your employees are not just a number. Be more approachable. Don't drive the managers who understand this out.

Passion to career....

ProsPeople, education, opportunity, experiences, discount, benefits. Salary. Dress code, relationships, it's definitely a company with high expectations that pushes and strives to bring out the best in people. I went from a 24 hr part time artist to upper management. I have worked overseas. Have done fashion week and celebrities. It's been everything and more for me. I do give it my all everyday. Somedays I get back 50% and some days 200 %. I keep a balanced life so when things aren't 100% I don't beat myself up about it. I have always been genuine and lead by example. And my favorite thing is being surrounded by the immense creativity on a daily basis.

ConsRetail schedule. There are not many cons for me. I know others would disagree but I believe that this is the richest environment to learn how to deal with many different personalities. Some days I hate it but when I have positive experiences because of what I have been through on my journey I am happy.

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MAC Cosmetics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey. All 211 reviews posted anonymously by MAC Cosmetics employees.