MAC Cosmetics

Be The First To
Add Photos

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey

John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits(in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult(in 22 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored(in 18 reviews)

Great training, excellent opportunities. Expect to work hard

MAC Store Manager (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsOwned by Estee Lauder... a LARGE company with the benefits you would want. Competitive salary. Room for advancement.

ConsHardly any work/life balance for retail managers and higher positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more organized with standard forms. Create an online reporting system to allow managers to more efficiently report.

Makeup Artist

Retail Makeup Artist (Former Employee) Roseville, MN

ProsAbility to grow and expand artistic abilities. Lots of training to learn new tricks within trends. Constant growth and change taught with certification. This company will let you expand your title and position, sky is the limit.

ConsNights, weekends, holidays, a must.

Great Experience!

Makeup Artist (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsWorking for MAC is unlike any other job I've had. It's a company that accepted me as I am and allows me to thrive. My team is extremely cohesive and we have a very positive work environment. My manager has a wonderful management style and gives constructive feedback while making clear to acknowledge how appreciated we are. The training is wonderful and I enjoy getting together with the other artists in the area to learn new tips, techniques, and product knowledge that (in my opinion) is invaluable. I've been so impressed with my experience with this company so far.

ConsThe main con I have is that there seems to be a disorganization on a corporate level.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! This is a wonderful first experience!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MAC is a wonderful company that cares about their employees.

Retail Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMAC pays well and provides great benefits to all employees. They provide a lot of training and coaching as well as lots of free product and 60% off discount.

ConsA job with MAC is very demanding. The company expects even part-time employees to make MAC their priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to increase stuffing to lessen the pressure on current staff.

Great fun job, lots of learing, super cool

ProsLearning, Hard work, Great Retail experience

ConsTitle & Salary messed up

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a look on HR and carreer development plans

Great training and employee benefits

Retail Manager (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsGreat pay
    Free makeup
     Artistry training

ConsLimited product push
    Prom time
    Booking events

Advice to Senior ManagementMore positive feedback

It is a fast-paced, makeup/sales job where you can learn a lot and grow a lot.

Freelance Makeup Artist (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the best reasons are: lots of customers come straight to you and you can share your artistry with them. If you are an aspiring makeup artist then this is a place you can continue to grow and devleop your skills. You also work with a dynamic group of people from whom you can learn a great deal. Being a freelancer means you create your own schedule and book your own hours, so if you have other things that demand your time this is an excellent way to go. If you don't need benfits or a secure job, freelancing with this company is lots of fun. You work your butt off, but it's fun.

ConsAs a freelancer your hours are never guaranteed. They can book you and then drop you last minute. In fact, they do this often, even if you work harder and produce more than permanent artists. They are required to cut costs and freelancers are the first ones to be dropped when the call from higher-ups comes in. Don't take it personal, but know that comes with the package of being a freelancer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not allow pressure/goals to decompose you. Don't allow everyone else to determine how you will observe the challenges at hand. Lead by example. The weeks and months will pass regardless of your attitude. Be calm and carry on.

Fun, state of the art company

Freelance Makeup Artist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMeeting new artists and learning new technics in artistry.

Consno matter how long you freelance, they pay the same

Advice to Senior Managementgive people a chance who want to work for you

It's been an eye-opening experience into the Cosmetics world

Makeup Artist (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat pay and great discount

ConsSo much drama at every location

Advice to Senior ManagementBe neutral and a problem solver

Amazing company with serious shortcomings

Makeup Artist (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsVery creative, very diverse, very modern.

ConsThey don't reward sales results with promotions or raises and tend to promote people based on popularity. They don't always hire on talent or ability, but often hire based on a desire to have diversity, which can result in poor experiences for customers when there is not a standard of artistic ability.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time hiring people with talent as opposed to trying to hire people in an effort to appear diverse. Work to grow people who connect with customers as opposed to those who dress the best.

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!