MAC Cosmetics

Be The First To
Add Photos

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey

John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult (in 22 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Mac family

Makeup Artist (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI can truly say I love my job. If you enjoy helping people and have a passion for makeup Mac is the place for you. I started off freelancing and worked my way up to a permanent position in 6 months. Employee discount is amazing and there are great networking opportunities if your looking to find freelance work outside of Mac. It is really a family environment everyone cares about each other at my counter

ConsWhen you freelance there is no employee discount and no gratis. Also if you want to move up fast in your company this is not the place for you. You basically have to wait till your coworkers die off for more hours or a better position.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo favoritism!!

Much more work than you imagine

MAC Retail Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPersonal Development programs are great
    Very philanthropic
    Good pay
    Great benefits, 401k, lots of free product

ConsLots of pressure to hit goals in sales, AUS, appointments
    If you work with a Retailer be prepared for all their drama and hindering your ability to do your job

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your employees how they are liking their jobs, the product, and management anonymously

It's a resume job.

Retail Artist (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe company celebrates diversity, creativity, and a rich history of going outside of the box. They are a strong force in the makeup community, are looked-up to by most people in the industry and have a flawless reputation of delivering quality products and branding. Working for them you will definitely be remembered and even admired for being part of such a rebellious company. You make people feel good on a regular basis and it's a fun work environment.

ConsSales goals. They are constantly pushing them to the point where your position is threatened, and you feel it competitively between artists. And heavy micro-managing. Work-life balance is mediocre because you're always working weekends, store events and sometimes outside special events.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to micro manage your team.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Full time artist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExtensive training on products and artistry, always in trend. Amazing discount and gratis benefits. As part of Estee Lauder companies the health and dental benefits are great and not too pricey. 2 week paid vacation for all employees.

ConsVERY RARELY (LIKE NEVER) do you get a Saturday or weekend off unless its your vacation. Way too many politics going on with Management. Its all about how much you can sell and how much money you can make them not how well you can do makeup.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue all the artists that work hard and stop hiring pre madonnas that have attitudes and don't want to do their job. Also figure out how to give all the employees a better work life balance

Trying to move up in the company...

MAC Artist (Current Employee)

Prosi LOVE my job..and i love transforming customers...movement is easy...no college needed...the benefits are great

Consthe turnover rate is low so movement may be slow or not happen....quotas are stressful especially if your not a sales person type...you have to start from the very bottom and move up..

mac cosmetic artist

Prospay is 13-17 an hour, good hours, can move into diff locations. Positions at water tower offered.

ConsAsked questions that not sure how anyone can ask such as "what would you do if a guy came in wearing makeup?" also "what does male grooming mean".

Advice to Senior ManagementGive someone who is willing to learn the industry a chance, instead of just hiring professionals. How can anyone make it in the comsetic industry if they keep doors slammed.

Commit to renaming yourself Mr. or Mrs. MAC Salesperson, and you will reach the stars.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent Education, Great People, Awesome Music, Opportunities To Learn Something New Everyday, Every Client Is A Potential Freelance Opportunity, An Excuse To Be Beautiful Everyday, Great Hourly Pay, Amazing Discount, Free Products

ConsManagement Guilts You Into Participating In Volunteer Work, Unfair Advantages Given To "Friends" Of Managers, Hours Can Be Cut At A Moments Notice, The Brand Has Become ALL Sales And Minimal Artistry, Management Has No Idea How To Lead And At Times Must Be Guided By Sales Associates, People Who Have No Experience In Makeup Are Hired Just Because They Have "The Look" or Because They Can Sell, Sales Associates Are Asked To Stay Past Their Scheduled Shift And Shunned If They Say No, No Work Life Balance, Tons Of Gossiping And Backstabbing, Terrible Customer Service

Advice to Senior ManagementReally Take A Look At Yourself And Ask: "Am I Really A Leader? Do I Really Want To Help People Advance In Their Careers? Do I Genuinely Care About People? Do I Really Want To Be A Member Of The MAC Cosmetics Team?" If The Answers To Any Of These Questions Are No, You Are NOT A Good Fit For The Company, And You Need To Do More Soul-searching And Truly Find Your Calling. Because If You Don't Really Want To Be There, Your Team WILL Feel It, And Your Store WILL Suffer, And Your Turnover Rate Will Keep Getting Higher And Higher. Also, For The Love Of God, Don't Hire ANY MORE PEOPLE That Have No Interest In Makeup Artistry. Those People Are The Reason The Brand Has Lost It's Integrity. MAC Has Now Become Laughable Because You've Hired People Just Because They Have Cool Piercings And Tattoos, But Have No Clue What They're Talking About. "Be The Expert." What A Joke. "

No work life balance ....

Retail Manager (Former Employee) Huntington, WV

ProsAmazing discount
    Great people to work with
    Great training
    Good atmosphere
    Gratis is one of the best in the industry

ConsWork/life balance does not exist
    You are MAC and cannot take credit for your own work
    Promotions, ha! They do not exist beyond your counter
    Lack of organization in upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementI do not know where to begin, listen to your employees when they are telling you they need help. Remote locations are just as important as your bigger ones and are always overlooked. Let your employees have some credit and creativity, why is it always about MAC with everything they do

The In Crowd.

Freelance Makeup Artist (Former Employee) Monroe, LA

Prosworking with the customers, doing what you love everyday, contributing to AIDS research, the friendships with coworkers and clients, being able to say your a "MAC Girl/Boy", the makeup events and the great work life balance, MAC black is the only uniform requirement (which is awesome), a very fun work environment, the fact people hate you cause you have they job they dream about lol

Consshort term jobs, majority of workers are freelance, very rare to be offered full time position, very few part time positions, no discounts for being a freelance artist, hard to advance in the company, ruthless competition among coworkers to advance in company, and it can take months to actually start working.

Advice to Senior Managementmake room for more pt/ ft positions instead of having thousands of freelancers.

Great on resume

Retail Manager (Current Employee) East Detroit, MI

ProsTheir education is great. The basis of the company is positive, fish based. Free make up, huge discounts, you're never bored. The benefits are awesome.

ConsWork life balance? None. District managers? Not positive unless their bosses are involved. Generally hypocritical. No matter how well you do you're constantly pushed many times at completely unrealistic goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach to managers. Fun? Never. Always 'feedback' rarely rarely positive if ever.

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!