MAC Cosmetics

Updated January 27, 2015
3.5

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult (in 26 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid, substantial, creative company to work for.

Current Employee - Manager, Artist, Key Holder in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager, Artist, Key Holder in Denver, CO

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

* This company, despite what other large corporations do when growing more successful, keeps asking how they can improve as a company, and how we can change what we are doing as a whole to meet the changing needs of our customers.

* A very creative place to work in sales, highly in demand, and always changing.

* Great benefits and perks for full time.

* Great learning opportunities and training classes. Involved trainers, the best of the best, who for the most part, do care about their employees and customers needs.

* Decent pay for the industry, or the "degree free."

Cons

* Vacation time is required to be split up, and cannot be taken over a lump sum of seven days in a row at a time, even if you accrue over two weeks or more with tenure. You also must wait to purchase plane tix etc. until your vacation is approved, which is unfortunately not always at the top of the priority list of most senior retail managers. This can cause many employees frustration and dissatisfaction.

*Tough to get a weekend off, retail schedule requirements are very demanding for employees with children. Be prepared to have open avability, a positive attitude or resilience from time requests being denied.

* Long days on your feet, and some will suffer from burnout if you don't pace yourself or if you don't have the energy required.

* Demanding events when you may do over six makeup appointments. It is crucial that you have above par skills at not only applying makeup, but in a timely manner using minimal products so that you are not drained and exhausted, but also so that your customers are not overwhelmed and confused.

Come up with strategies to serve not only your customers, but also the employees more quickly and efficiently. Keep asking questions. The more demands that you make of the staff, the more questions you should be asking. Be more creative and inquisitive about the staff that works for you. Lead with curiosity.

Great experience

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

potential to grow , with constant knowledge updates and support from upper management

Cons

none I can think of

Great place to work

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Miami, FL

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great, fun team to work with, easy to grow

Cons

None that I can think of

job interview

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

interviewing is a challenge so many non qualified candidates do not move forward

Cons

job is based on different criteria including looks

be honest if the product is something you like

Sell sell sell

Current Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great friendly people to work with. 401k for full times only.

Cons

Lots to mention mac makeup artist are the hardest working artist I have ever known all for no extra credit or commission , holliday hours are crazy , weekends off forget about it unless you are on Vacation. Family quality time is rare due to the schedule that is made a month in advance

Upper MRO and SRM need to work and feel the pressure they put on there staff and managers they are so disconnected from the real deal .

Great, for a little while.

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Fun work environment, ability to be creative, fast-paced, exclusive

Cons

Serious infighting, limited growth potential. This company tends to consume your life.

Give retail employees opportunities to advance to corporate positions.

Great place to learn about the industry.

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

MAC is the best at what they do so working here, you really get to see the best of the best.

Cons

It can be a high pressure environment.

People who have been with Estée Lauder for more than 10 years aren't going anywhere, but there are some that should.

Great Opportunity to Climb Ladder

Former Employee - MAC Artist in Birmingham, KY
    Former Employee - MAC Artist in Birmingham, KY

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Diverse paths you can take to earn promotions toward. Artistically and corporate positions

Cons

If you work in a department store, the hours are not convenient. You will have to work Holidays

none

Great job if you are will to be dedicated to retail hours and make MAC your life.

Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Tampa, FL

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

I loved that MAC is a community,a lifestyle,and they give good makeup benefits..gratis (Free makeup) every new collection,2x a year (200-400$) of whatever products you want and over 50% discount.

Cons

MAC is your life.Hard to get time off,especially weekends,long hours on your feet,back to back appointments,daily goals/weekly/monthly/pre-sell goals,appointment + event goals can be somewhat attainable.It is an artistry job,but mostly a SALES job.

Listen and appreciate your top sellers,offer incentives for exceeding goals.Allow more of a work/life balance.

Turning Too Corporate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Gratis- Free products when a new collection comes out, with exception of holiday collections.

EMS- Depending on if you're a part-time or full-time employee, you get an allowance once a year to order products. I think it's $200 for part-timers and $300 for full-time, it may be $400, sorry I'm not sure. You also get a welcome package of some basics when you get hired. You get to choose between three sets for different skin tones.

Practice- The fact that you see so many customers and that MAC requires you to do a full makeup in 30 min. (some artists tend to go above this time) makes you a better artist. For someone that has basic full face knowledge and some artistry skills, all of the practice and tips from other artists you receive is very useful.

Update- Every four months you are scheduled for a one day training of the new season coming up. You learn and tests the new products and collections that will be coming out. They can be fun, but sometimes they get tedious because you're there all day. They feed you though.

Cons

Say good-bye to your Saturday's, and in part, your weekends and no vacation during the holidays allowed. I think its between all of November and December. That sucked because my birthday is in November...

If you have a bad manager, you're stuck like chuck. You can complain all you want to the higher ups and HR, but they don't do anything. That's the main reason I left and so many followed. I got a new manager and she was the worst! Incredibly unprofessional and a bad team leader in general. Typical examples would be: she would insult/mock the employees at the top of her lungs in the middle of the store as customers stared like she was crazy. She would be so rude to customers, especially ones with rowdy children. And she would steal sales from employees. Granted, we don't get commission, but we did have sales quotas to meet otherwise you get written up.

Other cons include: implementation of Myclient system for all Macy's employees. Not sure if anything like this is in place for other dept. stores, but if you don't sign everyone up you get written up.

Over the years they get stingier and stingier. They used to buy food for the employees with a company credit card for things like inventory where we had to stay through the night. They stopped the credit card thing. They also used to give more gratis from the collections. They give less and less every few years.

Overall, MAC used to be a great company to work for because it was about the artistry and not about the sales. Now you have to meet all kinds of quotas and do makeup crazy fast in order to sell more otherwise you get written up. Three write ups in a certain time-frame and you're out!

Don't put bad people in management positions! Listen to your employees better. Just because someone made it to management, does not mean he or she can do no wrong and employees under them are not to be taken seriously. Have more employee appreciation if you are going to keep taking perks away and making it harder for them to sell by adding more to their job description. I no longer work for MAC, but I hear a lot of negative remarks from friends that have recently quit or are soon quitting. And btw, when that new manager came in and flipped the store upside down (for the worse), I'm not exaggerating when I say 5 other employees quit right after me (they didn't get fired). I stayed with her for one month and realized no one cared what I said. Various customers called and sent in complaints about her and nothing has happened til this day. She's been there almost a year now.

MAC Cosmetics Photos