MAC Cosmetics Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

3.6

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult (in 22 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail Manager

I worked at MAC Cosmetics for more than a year

Pros

Amazing training and creative work environment.

Cons

Difficult to have a healthy work/life balance

Overall good, but little room for growth past store manager.

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Good community of people, flexible schedule for freelance

Cons

little training for freelance artists, no discount for freelance, little room for growth past retail

freelance artists should get a discount not just a pro card, more training

Cool Company to Work for!

Former Employee - Makeup Artist  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Detroit, MI

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company culture is pretty cool, they encourage creativity and the makeup artist talent there is amazing

Cons

Management needs to consider raising the salaries

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

retail artist

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great way to start being an artist
    training
    stylish
    advanced artistry

Cons

over worked
    not a friendly environment

help the employees improve there attitude with clients and less competition more team work should be involved.

Mac family

Current Employee - Makeup Artist  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Makeup Artist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

I can truly say I love my job. If you enjoy helping people and have a passion for makeup Mac is the place for you. I started off freelancing and worked my way up to a permanent position in 6 months. Employee discount is amazing and there are great networking opportunities if your looking to find freelance work outside of Mac. It is really a family environment everyone cares about each other at my counter

Cons

When you freelance there is no employee discount and no gratis. Also if you want to move up fast in your company this is not the place for you. You basically have to wait till your coworkers die off for more hours or a better position.

No favoritism!!

Trying to move up in the company...

Current Employee - MAC Artist
    Current Employee - MAC Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

i LOVE my job..and i love transforming customers...movement is easy...no college needed...the benefits are great

Cons

the turnover rate is low so movement may be slow or not happen....quotas are stressful especially if your not a sales person type...you have to start from the very bottom and move up..

Much more work than you imagine

Current Employee - MAC Retail Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - MAC Retail Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Personal Development programs are great
    Very philanthropic
    Good pay
    Great benefits, 401k, lots of free product

Cons

Lots of pressure to hit goals in sales, AUS, appointments
    If you work with a Retailer be prepared for all their drama and hindering your ability to do your job

Ask your employees how they are liking their jobs, the product, and management anonymously

It's a resume job.

Former Employee - Retail Artist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The company celebrates diversity, creativity, and a rich history of going outside of the box. They are a strong force in the makeup community, are looked-up to by most people in the industry and have a flawless reputation of delivering quality products and branding. Working for them you will definitely be remembered and even admired for being part of such a rebellious company. You make people feel good on a regular basis and it's a fun work environment.

Cons

Sales goals. They are constantly pushing them to the point where your position is threatened, and you feel it competitively between artists. And heavy micro-managing. Work-life balance is mediocre because you're always working weekends, store events and sometimes outside special events.

Try not to micro manage your team.

Full time artist

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Extensive training on products and artistry, always in trend. Amazing discount and gratis benefits. As part of Estee Lauder companies the health and dental benefits are great and not too pricey. 2 week paid vacation for all employees.

Cons

VERY RARELY (LIKE NEVER) do you get a Saturday or weekend off unless its your vacation. Way too many politics going on with Management. Its all about how much you can sell and how much money you can make them not how well you can do makeup.

Value all the artists that work hard and stop hiring pre madonnas that have attitudes and don't want to do their job. Also figure out how to give all the employees a better work life balance

Commit to renaming yourself Mr. or Mrs. MAC Salesperson, and you will reach the stars.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent Education, Great People, Awesome Music, Opportunities To Learn Something New Everyday, Every Client Is A Potential Freelance Opportunity, An Excuse To Be Beautiful Everyday, Great Hourly Pay, Amazing Discount, Free Products

Cons

Management Guilts You Into Participating In Volunteer Work, Unfair Advantages Given To "Friends" Of Managers, Hours Can Be Cut At A Moments Notice, The Brand Has Become ALL Sales And Minimal Artistry, Management Has No Idea How To Lead And At Times Must Be Guided By Sales Associates, People Who Have No Experience In Makeup Are Hired Just Because They Have "The Look" or Because They Can Sell, Sales Associates Are Asked To Stay Past Their Scheduled Shift And Shunned If They Say No, No Work Life Balance, Tons Of Gossiping And Backstabbing, Terrible Customer Service

Really Take A Look At Yourself And Ask: "Am I Really A Leader? Do I Really Want To Help People Advance In Their Careers? Do I Genuinely Care About People? Do I Really Want To Be A Member Of The MAC Cosmetics Team?" If The Answers To Any Of These Questions Are No, You Are NOT A Good Fit For The Company, And You Need To Do More Soul-searching And Truly Find Your Calling. Because If You Don't Really Want To Be There, Your Team WILL Feel It, And Your Store WILL Suffer, And Your Turnover Rate Will Keep Getting Higher And Higher. Also, For The Love Of God, Don't Hire ANY MORE PEOPLE That Have No Interest In Makeup Artistry. Those People Are The Reason The Brand Has Lost It's Integrity. MAC Has Now Become Laughable Because You've Hired People Just Because They Have Cool Piercings And Tattoos, But Have No Clue What They're Talking About. "Be The Expert." What A Joke. "

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!