MAC Cosmetics

Updated November 20, 2014
3.5

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult (in 24 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Doesn't even feel like a job

Current Employee - MAC Artist in McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in McAllen, TX

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never felt like it was a real job working at MAC. I've never dreaded going to work.

Cons

The hours are, of course, retail hours. You typically work every weekend and most holidays.

Great company to work for

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity, great benefits. Free makeup. Training opportunity
    Trainer the trainer is awesome!

Cons

Lots of responsibility,lots of work.always something to do
    It never stops....

Recognize hard work, don't just go by what you hear

Ok

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in New York, NY

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is reasonable compared to other companies

Cons

Your stuck at whatever they give u

Positive and constructive

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for if you are interesting in getting "counter" experience. I got hired as a freelance artist and the whole process was really great.

Cons

If you get hired as a freelance artist, you have to work to get your hours. Don't assume you will get them easily.

Give freelancers some kind of training.

love the job customers but customers are demanding

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics (more than 5 years)

Pros

good to do what you love to do great benefits great learning experiences

Cons

no weekends off customers are demanding lots is asked from you administrative was plus still having to maintain your selling goal

Fun and creative

Current Employee - Makeup Artist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Makeup Artist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training is in-depth and fun. There is a lot of room to express creativity.

Cons

Huge amount of pressure on sales can be difficult when doing complimentary makeup most of the time.

Put less pressure on Artists as salespeople.

A job for someone who can fully commit their lives 100% to the business

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-lots of experience that allowed me to refine my artistry
    -networking with people to get more connections in the makeup world
    -met a few coworkers that I consider to be lifelong friends
    -the pay rate

Cons

-very poor work/life balance. if you have family forget about ever seeing them again (i was told when I started by my manager "here's to signing your life away!" I thought she was kidding. She wasn't.")
    -no weekends off EVER. And if you do need one off it has to be approved by the DM with 5,000 reasons as to why you need that day off.
    -inconsistency of the integrity of people being hired. (I have witnessed internal theft, drug use, bullying, etc...from the people who were allowed to work at my counter until they were fired of course.)
    -never enough people to help you. Constantly working alone. Even with immense amounts of patience and multitasking we lost many sales because we cannot physically help 20 people at one time by ourselves.
    -part time employees are required to work 4 days a week (even for a 14 hour position)
    -no more gratis. Rarely ever gets distributed anymore.
    -favoritism and managers get away with murder while artists have to clean up the mess left behind. More knowledgable than third keys and management. Damage control constantly.

I would suggest allowing your employees to have lives outside of work. If we are happy then we will be happy to come to work. We are human beings and deserve to be treated that way. Especially since artistry is what Mac is focused around. Take away that and you're in trouble.

Not what is used to be..

Current Employee - Full Time Artist
    Current Employee - Full Time Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Artistry
    Great pay for retail
    Leading cosmetics line in prestige makeup
    Viva Glam

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of management
    No compassion for artists
    Very little work/life balance
    Incompetent Retail Mgrs who have no idea about leadership and succession planning
    No adequate support from MRO
    Upper management only communicates with the RM, which does not give an adequate view of the business regarding morale, professionalism, integrity of management
    RM's not leading by example (tardiness, cleanliness at counter, adjusting goals to make personal productivity, making excuses to team to justify not making numbers but still coaching and documenting artists, never on the floor, always finding reasons to be in the office, gossiping with other team members about others managers, inappropriate relationships with artists)
    RM's taking credit for others successes, ideas
    MRO receives no positive feedback regarding how hard ARM and 3rd Key work for and with the team, nor are they aware of the fact that the supporting managers do more than they should for the RM
    No feedback solicited from ARM, 3rd Key, or artists regarding actual daily ops
    Employee incentives not the same as before
    Less Gratis
    EMS takes forever
    Early release of products online hurt the store business including sell through
    Too many events
    More feedback on numbers than developments as artists
    Not fun anymore

Upper management should communicate with the team more. If they are just listening to the RM, they have no idea what is really going on at counter. Management (RM's and SRMs) should not have sales goals which will allow them to be available for the team. How can they focus on the operations of the counter and constant coaching and redirection if they are stuck in position doing makeup because they have to make goals too? Not saying they should not do makeup at all, but definitely not as much as the artists. Managers should rotate sales among artists just as they would if a freelancer or trainer was in store assisting customers. It's no different than any other business where the manager is Accountible for the overall performance of the business but not held to personal productivity. There is not always a manager available or running the floor. There should be. It is not fair for a manager to be "off the floor" an excessive amount of time and then come back to the floor and try to "shark" to make their goals. Not only that, they will send artists to things off the floor such as stock in order for them to get all the sales. Communication is imperative. Period. There is so much that goes on at counter that upper management is unaware. 70% turnover in a short amount of times me should be s red flag. However, if upper management were concerned they would pay attention to things like this. This company is losing great people because the perception is as long as things look good on paper, the RM is successful which means the counter is successful and every team member is just a happy, perky, replaceable artist.

Sales

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Great people, hard working on many levels

Cons

There are transitional changes but nothing we have not overcome before

Listen and coach your teams. Nothing is more important

Mac Free lance makeup Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Great work environment. Learning experience

Cons

No gratis for freelance artist