MAC Cosmetics

Updated September 17, 2014
3.6

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult (in 22 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job ever!

Current Employee - Makeup Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Makeup Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High paid and awesome cow workers... pay plus lots of free gift during holidays collections. Manager are super nice and you don't have to worry about traffic stopping which is the best.

Cons

There's really nothing bad accpet being a freelence you have to travel to many place for covering but the pays is great and you get to meat a lot of nice artist along with experience from places to place.

A pretty good company to work for

Current Employee - Third Key Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Third Key Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay is good, the company is good to you.

Cons

Some of the people you work with are horrible. It depends on location. It's more about sales now than it is about artistry.

Be more professional.

Retail Manager

I worked at MAC Cosmetics for more than a year

Pros

Amazing training and creative work environment.

Cons

Difficult to have a healthy work/life balance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good, but little room for growth past store manager.

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Good community of people, flexible schedule for freelance

Cons

little training for freelance artists, no discount for freelance, little room for growth past retail

freelance artists should get a discount not just a pro card, more training

You may get lucky enough to work in a region with decent and professional people.

Former Employee - Third Key Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Third Key Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free makeup with every collection, 60% off all makeup, EMS, doing what you enjoy, expressing your creativity, they promote from within

Cons

At the end of the day it's ALL retail and ALL they care about is that you make the sales goals they expect. It's understandable a business wants to profit but when people start to lose their jobs because the counter is not producing that's just not right. I can go on and on about how shady all of this can get. Just avoid the Miami area at all costs.

Stop the favoritism and work on your professionalism. P.s. stop targeting certain individuals.

Great segue to the professional industry and a leading force in cosmetics

Current Employee - Third Key Manager
    Current Employee - Third Key Manager

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Industry relevent marketability, health benefits, company culture at trainings and corporate has a great environment, counter level are subpar in terms of management experience.

Cons

Micromanagement, not very lenient with polices, outdating timekeeping systems, lacks of management knowledge and expertise, not all information openly shared with employees (HR polices, procedures, documentation descriptions and employee rights) counter level are subpar in terms of management experience. Limited time off possibilities (black out dates are every event week, holidays, etc)

Lead by example, accept responsibility for own business. More in store visits from upper management (full day and deep analysis of troubled doors) More sense of urgency when staff morale is low, instead of blaming staff, more support and constructive/non judgmental direction would be appreciate. The level of documentation is confusing, contradictory, and

This company has taken a nose-dive.

Current Employee - MAC Artist  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I was hired in 2006 it was a dream job. They trained you to be elite for a reason, and that reason was integrity. Our job was clear: to make the customer's life better. Employees received lots of gratis, and the focus was on artistry, trends, music, and fun. Personal style/expression was highly encouraged, growth within the company was encouraged. HR fought for the employee.

Cons

Don't even think about moving up in this company with your talents or skills. It's BS only. You must be able to BS better than whoever you're up against. After seven faithful, and highly-praised years, I went from making $14.50/hr to $15.75/hr. No weekends off, no holidays with my family. They started writing people up for EVERYTHING. Loyal, amazing artists got passed up for promotions for YEARS. 12-year artists being passed over for training positions in favor of new and inexperienced BSers. Every great artist I have known has finally left. It's become all about setting us up for failure over and over and over. It's very sad for all of us to watch this company be mismanaged into the ground. All of that early integrity has been replaced with the bottom line.

Um, take a management class? Watch a TED talk on management? Ask a random neighbor if your tactics sound good? They'll say no.

misleading company to work for

Current Employee - Retail Makeup Artist
    Current Employee - Retail Makeup Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

very good discount on product, additional artistry training, free product sometimes. at trainings they provide you with meals for the day. and you get reimbursed for any travels you have to do for the company

Cons

never allowed to have time off practically. very "clique-y" company to work for. your progress as an employee depends on how much the higher up management likes you, you better brown nose a lot. no room for growth. company is just too over saturated with a ton of employees that all want the same thing (to progress with the company) and not enough jobs to let anyone do it. i just can not say enough bad things about all the terrible choices this company makes and forces upon its employees

Be patient

Current Employee - MAC Artist  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company my counter is a very friendly one, teamwork is great

Cons

I started as freelance 6mths ago and I'm now a par time artist so yes everything with this company takes time . It took about a month for me to even get called into work for my first day. As freelance you get nothing lol there are even weeks or months that you don't have hours but be patient ladies if they like your work no matter how many freelancers they have they will call you first

Give freelancers some type if benefit

Cool Company to Work for!

Former Employee - Makeup Artist  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Detroit, MI

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company culture is pretty cool, they encourage creativity and the makeup artist talent there is amazing

Cons

Management needs to consider raising the salaries

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!