MAC Cosmetics Reviews

Reset
3.5
MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is non existent (in 26 reviews)

• Sales goals, many over the top personalities can become tiring (in 19 reviews)

Great company overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

We receive free products and training.

Cons

There is no set, consistent schedule.

2. MAC

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Meet different people everyday. Fast paced environment. Fashion forward and #1 cosmetic company in the world. Constant training and inspiration.

Cons

Sales and Customer Service are the most important. Makeup Artistry is not your #1 goal.

Advice to Management

Commission!

3. MAC makeup artist at the MAC counter in Nordstrom

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Roseville, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Amazing products
    You get to be creative and be yourself
    Fun people to work with/ great teamwork
    Play with makeup all day

Cons

Hard to get weekends off
    VERY VERY sales drive
    Competitive
    Super fast paced

Advice to Management

Not really any advice to management. My managers are spectacular and want to watch you grow and be the best you can be.

Good for short term

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Great environment to grow as an artist, lots to learn, you make great friends, and get lots of referrals.

Cons

It's hard to get out of freelancing, a lot of times you get overlooked and someone who has no experience with the company gets the job. Permanent artist sometimes belittle the freelancers. Freelancers work harder and literally has to beg for hours.

Advice to Management

Make your hiring process just!!!!

6. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity to be creative and learn within the company. You also develop a family within your coworkers. Discount and gratis ain't bad either.

Cons

It's customer service and sales related, so if that's not your thing you won't like it. Dealing with customers can be rough, it's the nature of the beast.

7. Blood, sweat and tears

I worked at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Pay
    training
    experience
    freelance opportunities
    great friends
    discount
    artistry
    freedom of expression

Cons

No work life balance at all. To move up, you have to suck up. Its pretty much dog eat dog in that business. Its rare to find that educated manager that goes by the book. Most of the time your just stuck with that manager who only got the position because hes/shes "seasoned" or he/she snitched on peoole to get where he/she was. Ive seen managers get promoted even when they clearly stole gratis and travel reimbursement money. They invested money in people who didnt see it as a career. They didnt take time to get to know all their employees needs and growth and developement. There was a lot of nepotism and favoritism. If they didnt like you expect job retaliation. As much as I loved this company i gave blood sweat and tears... i never loved working for a company soo much.. they took that passion and respect when they overlooked me time and time again. After 4 years it was time.

Advice to Management

Invest and get to know your teams individual goals. If its long term, Groom and develop them to be the best in their career. Be a positive role model.

Alright

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get free product! Interaction with customers, exposing tattoos & piercings, makeup can be wild and bold.

Cons

I just want to say... Management SUCKS!!! They don't listen to nothing. Within my 9 months at being at MAC I hate the sales goals, if you're part time you have a 4 hour shift , your goal is $900 �� meanwhile you have a beauty appointment for 1 hour, so technically you only have 3 hours on a steady but not busy but steady! Saturday to make your money... Like cmon! It's ridiculous, I love the company but yall seriously need to clean house! I worked with a lot of "immature" women that were not even wanting to work there, and they would always get recognition, but the people that work hard and want to be there do not get noticed! It's sad, I had high hopes for MAC being my dream career, and within 9 months not even a year I can't believe I look so down on this company. It's rather sad than irritating! How can you have such a great brand BUT very non responsive to there employees needs.

Advice to Management

Step your game UP, listen to your employee... Give realistic HELPFUL feed back. Understand that people love your company & and are willing to bust their butt to be there! Those are the people worth keeping in the long run, not girls that just want to claim they work for MAC but don't want to do any work.

9. great place to work

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Get to interact with people great music playing while working fun place to work you can be creative and show your skills always room for advancement

Cons

You have to wear all black everyday that's basically the only con I like to express myself through my clothing with bright fun colors and you aren't able to do that while working here

10. The most fun I had at a job ever!

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Makeup Artist in San Jose, CA

I worked at MAC Cosmetics (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team loved the company !!! learned a lot about the art of makeup. The team I worked with personally was great but I have heard how other people would get into it with their coworkers and how "drama" would be everywhere. I never saw that though personally

Cons

The politics bothered me a bit. If you know how to play the game and become peoples favorite you can feel more comfortable especially if you want to move up. A lot of the reason why I wanted to be a part of the whole MAC craze was to feel like I was an artist. After so many years of being there I noticed that the art was secondary to sales. I know this is normal for companies to want to sell but I think I did my best in selling when I really learned and loved the product!

Advice to Management

make it more about the art of makeup and the selling part will come! People pushed numbers around so much that the company changed from when I first started there

Mac Pro Artist

Current Employee - Product Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Management in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced industry. The opportunity to expand and grow within a multi-million dollar corporation. The MAC Brand is a well known, fashion forward, commercialized company. Employees of MAC and MAC Pro obtain the ability to work in a versatile network.

Cons

Bonuses and Raises are often not given when deserved. The company hires mainly within and does not make employment an option for just anyone.

Advice to Management

I believe that the hiring of new artists should be based upon the willingness of the artist to learn, grow, and represent the company name and brand while still becoming a self reliant, well versed, enthusiastic visionary.

RSS Feed </> Embed