MAC Cosmetics Reviews

333 reviews filtered by
3.5
MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult (in 26 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored (in 19 reviews)

1. Life changing career!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time

Pros

Strong bonds, great benefits, ability to grow, exceptional development and training.

Cons

Extremely rude customers and retail hours

Advice to Management

Your work life will spill over into your personal life, but you must become an expert at time management.

2. You must be persistent if this is a job you want

Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Experience, Benefits, Pay, Try new products

Cons

I can't think of any. Maybe standing up all day

Fun and fast paced,

Current Employee - Freelance Artist in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Freelance Artist in Brea, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Great team work, fun, educational

Cons

not much room for growth, not many career opportunities, short staffed, won't hire more staff

Advice to Management

Check in with employed more often, we have great ideas on how to better the stores and counters for revenue

5. You either hate it or love it and that changes from one day to the next.

Current Employee - Retail Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Manager

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with talented people and recieve more artistry training than any company I've worked for. The pay is amazing. Your customers look up to you and sometimes you have the gratifying experience of changing people's lives through their makeup.

Cons

VERY stressful as a salaried manager. Lots of eccentric personalities to manage. No time off so no social life.

Advice to Management

Don't take anything personal because this company will always do what's best for the company. Force time for your personal life.

6. 3rd key

Current Employee - Third Key in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Third Key in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is decent , fun place to work, ems

Cons

Very stressful , not enough employees ,

Advice to Management

Need to hire more people

ALL about sales. DO NOT CARE about artisrty anymore.

Former Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Detroit, MI

I worked at MAC Cosmetics (Less than a year)

Pros

You do what you love daily - apply makeup, make people feel beautiful.

Cons

So sales focused. Too much stress.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like HITLER.

Makeup Artist

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time

Pros

Great company to grow as a makeup artist.

Cons

Sales goals can be a bit outrageous for the average price of products.

Great pay but the constant high stress takes a toll on your quality of life

Current Intern - Third Key Manager
    Current Intern - Third Key Manager

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics as an intern (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great pay.
    -Weekly paycheck.
    -Great benefits for full time employees.
    -The MAC Aids fund is an amazing program & I am proud to be a part of it.
    -Even part timers get paid vacations. 60% off employee discount.
    -$200-$400 worth of free makeup every 6 months, depending on your postion.

Cons

-In their eyes, you are disposeable. I have witnessed many many seasoned, far above average quality employees loose their jobs for things that could have been handled with a single discussion. I have seen them promise job security to tenured artists leaving established counters to move to support newly opened counters, they are anxious to staff these new counters with folks who have been successful with the company for a while, and when these newly opened counters are closed after only 8 months to a year of being open (barely enough time for people to learn about the location & become regular customers) these people loose their jobs with literally about 2-3 days notice. Sometimes (not always) these people are offered jobs at a location that may be anywhere from 3-10 hours drive away from here, but usually it is for a postion that is much less profitable than the prior postion & when someone just uprooted their life only 8 months before, signing leases and dragging spouses along, making another signifigant move for a job that pays less and/or offers less hours, it is a very poor offer to be given. I have seen this happen to three seperate locations.
    -Upper management is extremely negative and condecending. I have been here 6 years, & at least 4 out of the 6 years I have held the #1 sales spot at my counter, and NEVER has anyone from upper management told me that I am doing a good job, or even said one positive thing about me, they only ever give negative feedback.
    -Pretty much all locations are short staffed, I know my location DESPERATELY needs more staff members.
    -MAC is getting more and more sales driven by the minute, the artistry that the company was founded on is all but gone, I was actually told that we take too many appointments and we need to focus more on selling. If they were really smart they would offer a salon style service of makeup application at every single location. From my understanding they offer this service at MAC Stores, but since those only make up about 20% of their retail locations, these are very limited. I work at a department store location in a small to medium sized city. We are the only MAC location in the city. We get A LOT of appointment requests for weddings, proms, parties, costumes, stage-work of all varieties, makeup lessons, just tons of appointments every single day. If we could book these people for one hour appointments with a single artist dedicated to them for a flat fee, they would make so much money without spending money to make a single product. I absolutely do not understand why this service cannot be offered at every location.
    -It seems that as a whole their products are slowly becoming lower quality.
    -They expect you to be able to do makeup on demand for walk ups and appointments but require no minimum purchase, but they also expect you to meet a sales goal that is anywhere from $150-$200 per hour. I do not understand this method of thinking, you are just asking for people to abuse this privledge.
    -They want you to "step away" from appointments to help walk up customers & not keep these walk up customers waiting, but also somehow not upset the appointment, they expect you to put the brush in the customer's hand and say "now you try this technique", which never works, customers come for our expertise, if they wanted to do their own makeup they would stay at home .
    -They basically want you to be doing 20 things at once at any given time.
    -If you work here you will never EVER have a Saturday off unless you are on vacation.
    -While you do get paid vacations it is almost impossible to actually use the vacations during the time you need to because of heavy restrictions of scheduling.
    -They expect you to post on social media relating to your job on your own time, something that I do not want to do in general, especially on my own time, work and social media should be seperate enteties, never intertwined, also when you are not paying me, I am off the clock, do not expect me to devote the few hours I have off per day to MAC, that is my time.

Advice to Management

HIRE MORE STAFF. Staff your counters appropriately & you might actually have a chance of meeting these high sales goals. PEOPLE WALK OFF UPSET ALL THE TIME BECAUSE WE ARE SPREAD SO THIN, YOU JUST CAN'T BE 15 PLACES AT ONCE, THIS IS WHY MAC STAFF HAS A REPUTATION FOR IGNORING CLIENTS, THEY DON'T ACTUALLY IGNORE THEM THEY ARE JUST SO SWAMPED WITH CUSTOMERS THAT THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT. Don't put so much preassure on your staff to push certain products, let customers buy what they want to buy, or what your employees have been trained to suggest according to the needs of the customer, don't turn in to one of those lines that teaches their staff to push products that customer's don't need or want, they sense what is happening & do not come back. And as far as products go, get back to your roots, shadows are getting more and more sheer by the minute, people who shop at MAC want PIGMENT, they do not want lustre eyeshadows and lustre lipsticks that you have to apply 20 layers of to see the color.. this is not clinique. Also maybe don't come out with 50 collections of crappy product every month, if you could trim it down to 1 or 2 quality collections per month, they would sell out without even having to try and force it. And finally, do not talk down to your staff as if they were children, it does NOT motivate them to do better, it motivates them to find another job where they are treated with respect.

Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Great makeup and discount and co workers. Great place to learn. But no growth

Cons

Bad management, not consistent. No quality behind their words

Advice to Management

Lead by example

Fun people, not exactly professional

Current Freelancer - Freelance Makeup Artist in Clifton, NJ
    Current Freelancer - Freelance Makeup Artist in Clifton, NJ

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics

Pros

Enjoying my day with my coworkers, make your own schedule

Cons

Not hiring based on experience, management is unorganized, some inexperienced employees

Advice to Management

Please learn to hire based on experience and not who knows who or who is your friend. Your overall sales will increase and you will see a vast improvement within.

MAC Cosmetics Photos