MAC Cosmetics Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

3.6

MAC Cosmetics CEO John Demsey
John Demsey

Pros
  • Amazing discount and gratis benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Great Pay,Great Discount, Supportive Environment; Freelance Artist work at any Mac in your State (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Leadership is inconsistent and work-life balance is really difficult (in 22 reviews)

• Very high sales goals and requests for time off or personal days are hardly ever honored (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Parttime MUA

Current Employee - Part Time 15 Hour
    Current Employee - Part Time 15 Hour

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

No fulltime positions unless you are 3rd key

Great experience!

Former Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist  in  Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Freelance Makeup Artist in Columbia, SC

I worked at MAC Cosmetics as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was really friendly; freelancers can get a lot of hours; fun work environment; excellent pay

Cons

Freelancers don't really get an opportunity to learn or take classes; if they call you for a shift and you can't make it they won't call you again; Freelancers don't get gratis.

It would be nice if more managers advocated for the freelancers and allowed them to go to training as well, especially since they are able to travel to all of the locations in their area. It is almost like freelancers just get thrown to the wolves.

It Was great

Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

loved the artistry, the training, the makeup and the pay

Cons

no life, long hours, crazy high goals

very political

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful growth and training, but a lot of politics

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time

Pros

They pride themselves on constantly training their artists, which is great. I felt like I was constantly growing and learning. The atmosphere was fun and lively and you're able to have a lot of creative freedom in your work. They give back to the community and stand for equality and open mindedness. Fantastic products! Company is very generous to their artists.

Cons

Getting a weekend off was difficult and you would feel guilty taking vacation time. Hard to have a work life balance. More politics than I cared to engage in, if you were kissing up to your boss you seemed to get away with more rather than produce numbers and work hard. There was a lot of cattiness in the area I worked in. We should have been more of a team than competition.

It's work, not a sorority or high school, people should act as such. Allowing staff members to have a weekend off on a rotation basis would make them feel like they have somewhat of a work/life balance.

Horrible

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time

Pros

Discount gratis and exposure to creativity

Cons

Pay catty worst company of all time. It's just retail

Get educations

Goal for a goal for a goal

Current Employee - Product Specialist/Makeup Artist
    Current Employee - Product Specialist/Makeup Artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best thing about working for MAC is the intensive training you receive once you become a permanent artist. With a basic training lasting one week, and a follow up training every 3-4 months to keep you up to date on current trends, you are always the leading in the industry.
    MAC looks great on a resume, and you learn so much valuable information that you can use elsewhere...
    As MAC artists we are CONSTANTLY juggling customers, so we will be able to work on every canvas imaginable and become comfortable doing any type of makeup/look.
    Full time artists are offered benefits, sick time, paid holidays, time and a half for holidays worked, paid vacation....

Cons

Okay. Let me explain. I have been with MAC since I have legally been able to work and I have been here for over three years as a permanent artist now. MAC was my dream and ultimate goal. For the first year and a half I enjoyed my job and used it as a learning experience...Now as I become one of the more experienced and senior artists in my region, I realize all of the manipulation the company uses to get us to give our lives to them.
    I have no life. As a full time artist at MAC, I work five days a week, sometimes more, and I work every single Saturday and Sunday. I get two Saturdays a year off- those are included in my two weeks of vacation I'm given.
    If I call out from being sick, I'm still responsible for making my goal up, which will almost certainly be impossible. The goals are too high. They are unrealistic. They will push us to our limits to meet them. Most counters are not staffed with enough freelancers to assist in helping us make these goals, so we are left struggling to juggle customers, over multi-task, and cut customers short of the visits they deserve.
    The turn over rate in my region is ridiculous. We have lost over 40 permanent artists this year alone.....People get burnt out, so they stop performing well, and then they are denied access to stepping down to freelance because their numbers aren't where they should be. This is counter productive. The company should be trying to figure out why all of these employees are wanting to leave in the first place.
    This means they bring in artists that don't know what they're doing. The quality of the artists hired really doesn't matter to MAC anymore as long as they can sell. This means that the MAC image has dramatically fallen off the map. What image?
    We are pushed and required to take certifications that take tons of practice and preparation...Once we pass these certifications, we don't get a raise specifically for it.
    I took on the position as "Product Specialist." This position is a joke. Do not recommend. Basically you're a mini-trainer at the counter and have twice as much work on top of your already overflowing work load. In charge of creating theme days, artist training, sell-thru of products, sales increases...The locations sell-thru is basically in your hands. When a launch doesn't sell out like it should, because your clientele doesn't like it, or the other artists don't like selling it- you will be the one that hears it from your bosses. Did I mention that this position doesn't grant you a raise or office hours?

Literally 95% of the artists I know that have been with the company for more than a year and know what its like being a full time artist here are completely miserable. Give us a break.

Could be amazing, but...

Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Generous discount.
    -Gratis (free cosmetics).
    -Great Benefits for FT employees.
    -Growth Opportunities in larger regions. (Sadly, due to high turn over rate, etc).

Cons

-Artistry? what is artistry? SALES! All the sales. That is number one priority, period. No matter who's customer you have to steal. It is not a team effort.
    -If you do not make your goal, consider your job at risk.
    -A lot of pressure to sell, book for what seems like constant events, assist multiple customers, demo makeup, full applications of makeup, working the cash register, answering the telephone, stocking your area and others, etc... All at the same time.
    -High turnover rate... Great employees just get burnt out quickly after the initial excitement wears off. It is such a bummer. Was a fantastic company before Estée Lauder took over.

Go back to the basics. Greed is ugly, and it could be something so beautiful.

DON'T PLAN ON HAVING A LONG TERM CAREER HERE!

Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist  in  Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Warwick, RI

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great employee discount at 60% off retail. But the quality of the products has become so inferior, most of us never even bothered to use it.

Cons

Unless you are a PRO at playing "politics", don't plan on staying here. Unless your manager, district Manager, trainer ALL like you (and these people change frequently), you will eventually be forced out. After 13 years with MAC, I was deemed "too old" to continue. Although they never came right out and said it, the writing was on the wall. Also, it is extremely cultish and cliquish. Get your experience here, then MOVE ON!

Management needs to lead by example, not "entitlement". Mine NEVER worked nights, holidays or Sundays and ALWAYS had the days off she wanted, yet I was refused a request to attend a relative's wedding on a Friday night. Unless you are ready to give up your personal life, don't even consider working for this company.

Great for networking Horrible if you want to move up in the company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Washington, DC

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount on products, excellent pay even if you don't have experience, awesome networking opportunities, great gratis and also gratis for new collections, get to wear cute clothing, have piercings and tattoos the makeup artistry skills you'll learn are impeccable it will take you places!

Cons

No growth potential even if you're top seller, manager etc. Management is as far as you go but you have to be there at least 3-5 years to possibly get a manager position. Hardly time for yourself.

Make more growth opportunities available, stop promoting people just for their look but because of their work ethic.

Management needs to come correct

Current Employee - Artist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendship, makeup is good for the most part, meeting nice customers and building clientele, pay is decent.

Cons

Uneducated managers, idiot managers, managers who don't communicate effectively, rude managers, managers who treat employees with no respect and act in a condescending manner to employees, incompetent managers.

Get educated, learn how to do your job, come correct or go home.

Worked for MAC Cosmetics? Contribute to the Community!