MAC Cosmetics Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

makeup artist

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics part-time

Pros

Gratis(if you get it all) makeup experience, learning, artistry.

Cons

Your a sales person, they're quick to replace you, meeting sales goals, all about playing favorites the favorites usually get promoted.

Advice to Management

I feel that MAC should be about what it is really seen as. It's about makeup, artistry, teaching, making a statement. Employees should not be so pressured into making a goal and shouldn't get written up or not promoted because it's not made. We all work hard and most of us are artists not sales people. I feel seniority needs to be 100% in effect. Managers and srms pick and choose they're favorites and promote them. Give them opportunities that all of us have been working so hard for years for. I feel mac don't support they're employees they dissapoint our mac dream by making it so hard for us to grow in the company.

2. MAC

Pros

Meet different people everyday. Fast paced environment. Fashion forward and #1 cosmetic company in the world. Constant training and inspiration.

Cons

Sales and Customer Service are the most important. Makeup Artistry is not your #1 goal.

Advice to Management

Commission!

ehh

Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked 8 1/2 years in MAC Cosmetics. The benefits that you receive with the company are great. You get 60% on products The artists and the creativity you are able to use while working are like none other

Cons

Upper Managerment is extremely unprofessional They only care for the associates to make their goal and write them discussions and warnings for every single dollar that he or she misses The schedule is horrible, because you have to work every weekend and the hours are long They will not give you a day off even if you request it in advance

Advice to Management

I believe that MAC Corporate needs to put people that are more educated and better dealing with their associates. I was assistant manager but didn't really receive any assistance from higher management like MRO or SRM.

Good for short term

Pros

Great environment to grow as an artist, lots to learn, you make great friends, and get lots of referrals.

Cons

It's hard to get out of freelancing, a lot of times you get overlooked and someone who has no experience with the company gets the job. Permanent artist sometimes belittle the freelancers. Freelancers work harder and literally has to beg for hours.

Advice to Management

Make your hiring process just!!!!

6. MAC makeup artist at the MAC counter in Nordstrom

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Roseville, CA

Pros

Amazing products You get to be creative and be yourself Fun people to work with/ great teamwork Play with makeup all day

Cons

Hard to get weekends off VERY VERY sales drive Competitive Super fast paced

Advice to Management

Not really any advice to management. My managers are spectacular and want to watch you grow and be the best you can be.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of opportunity to be creative and learn within the company. You also develop a family within your coworkers. Discount and gratis ain't bad either.

Cons

It's customer service and sales related, so if that's not your thing you won't like it. Dealing with customers can be rough, it's the nature of the beast.

8. Changed a lot

Current Employee - Third Key Manager
    Current Employee - Third Key Manager

Pros

Discount, gratis, decent pay, benefits

Cons

Sales goals, no set schedules, no time for family

Advice to Management

Firing people because you agreed certain dollars per year to partnered locations is unfair when stores are slow.

Alright

I worked at MAC Cosmetics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get free product! Interaction with customers, exposing tattoos & piercings, makeup can be wild and bold.

Cons

I just want to say... Management SUCKS!!! They don't listen to nothing. Within my 9 months at being at MAC I hate the sales goals, if you're part time you have a 4 hour shift , your goal is $900 😒 meanwhile you have a beauty appointment for 1 hour, so technically you only have 3 hours on a steady but not busy but steady! Saturday to make your money... Like cmon! It's ridiculous, I love the company but yall seriously need to clean house! I worked with a lot of "immature" women that were not even wanting to work there, and they would always get recognition, but the people that work hard and want to be there do not get noticed! It's sad, I had high hopes for MAC being my dream career, and within 9 months not even a year I can't believe I look so down on this company. It's rather sad than irritating! How can you have such a great brand BUT very non responsive to there employees needs.

Advice to Management

Step your game UP, listen to your employee... Give realistic HELPFUL feed back. Understand that people love your company & and are willing to bust their butt to be there! Those are the people worth keeping in the long run, not girls that just want to claim they work for MAC but don't want to do any work.

Cool

Current Employee - Third Key in Westminster, CA
    Current Employee - Third Key in Westminster, CA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free makeup and great discount. Fun, most of the time. Get to do makeup and be creative

Cons

Always work weekends. Underpaid. Make more money doing freelance on side

Advice to Management

Payscale is still the same since I started in 2006 every time minimum wage goes up so should our wages

11. I love the perks of being a Mac Artist discounts and gratis.

Current Employee - MAC Artist in Fort Belvoir, VA
    Current Employee - MAC Artist in Fort Belvoir, VA

I have been working at MAC Cosmetics (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love what I do so I feel like I'm barley working hard.

Cons

My challenges would be for consistent business's because we are not always busy.

RSS Feed </> Embed