MACOM Reviews

3.5

MACOM CEO Cobham AJ Stevens
AJ Stevens
1 Rating

Be prepared to work hard!

I have been working at MACOM full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company, aggressive growth in the market. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Somewhat overstaffed at the Director level. Too many Chiefs not enough Indians! Some departments are overstaffed as well - i.e. HR, IT, Finance. Lots of people doing the same stuff.

Don't forget the little people. We are below the Directors but above the mice. We matter too -communicate better with us!

Great people, with tons of experience

I have been working at MACOM full-time

Pros

CEO and Chairman are visionary and are making all the right moves to bring in talent and (re-)grow the company.

Cons

Benefits need attention if we are to attract and retain key people. Salaries and benefits are below par. 401k program is especially weak and needs fixing to be more employee friendly.

Keep the focus on attracting and maintaining talented employees, take care of them and pay them well and they will do anything you can dream up.

Two internships

Former Employee - Semiconductor Modeling Intern in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Semiconductor Modeling Intern in Lowell, MA

I worked at MACOM as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people at M/A-Com are very smart and hardworking, and I gained a lot from the people around me. The facilities were excellent for a semiconductor company. Good sized company in my opinion, not too big, not too small. I thought having a fab on site was an incredible opportunity for anyone involved in ICs, especially for process oriented engineers. Hours were flexible (even for non-interns), which contributed to a happy culture. For a military contractor this company is very relaxed without sacrificing productivity and growth. Another perk is that they let interns attend the company conference, which was a fun and informative experience.

Cons

As an intern it was sometimes hard to get work that was taken seriously. I spent a lot of time making work for myself, which, while enjoyable, may not have been the best for getting experience at the company.

Keep it relaxed but productive.

Nice people. Not very creative.

I have been working at MACOM full-time

Pros

Workers have a desire to do the right thing. Generally friendly.

Cons

IT is almost fully outsourced. There is little support or proactive improvement of business systems. People are doing things manually, or simply because that is how they were told the system worked. There's no process to implement improvements and no one knowledgeable to make recommendations.

Work on human resource development.

Great People, Good Process, Interesting Projects, Mix of High Tech and low Tech used in new and interesting ways.

I worked at MACOM

Pros

Interesting Work, Great bunch of people. Creative problem solving - Team effort - Massive opportunities possible for M2M, wireless and making components for various industries.

Cons

It's always nice to be paid more, but for the most part that depends on everyone's effort that they put in!

Worse management I have ever seen

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at MACOM

Pros

Peers were great people. We helped each other but that was not recognize by senior management.

Cons

Promotions are given only to people who are really good friends with management or family members. Even if the manager sucks, they will keep them there because the GM has a personal knowledge with them. My last year there, our group exceeded our profits yet all the people on my group got nothing on return. The "Senior" leader on the other hand, got a promotion. Our "salary increase" the senior leader gave us added $7 to my paycheck. Several people on my group left because of this. Peers were great but management was not up to par.

Promote the people that deserve to be promoted. Not only your friends or family but the people that make that company work.

I enjoyed the team environment that was maintained by all stakeholders in the production and sales process.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at MACOM

Pros

Product innovation and creation was a priority and suggestions welcomed and rewarded. The benefits were on par with other companies its size. The people were hard working and team oriented. It seemed that everyone wanted to see each other succeed.

Cons

Not willing to take too great a risk.

Good hands-on lab experience but job stability may be an issue

Former Employee - Engineer in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lowell, MA

I worked at MACOM

Pros

Got hands-on experience working in labs, rather than sitting in a cube. Got introduced to the field of RF which is interesting. Job was challenging and learned a lot.

Cons

Job stability, bad tuition reimbursement' programs, very dependent on the economy because sells radios to the state

equal respect for employees

Good place to work.

I have been working at MACOM full-time

Pros

Good work and life balance.

Cons

None cons at the moment.

Extremely positive experience

I worked at MACOM

Pros

Strong emphasis on team building and team management

Cons

A Tyco company. Strong focus on bottom line and little regard for employee retention

Take care of the employees and the bottom line takes care of itself