MAKO Surgical

Add Photos

MAKO Surgical Chairman, President, and CEO Maurice R. Ferré

Maurice R. Ferré

Great

Prosspecialized and adequate training provided
    qualified co workers

Consso far I have no cons

Very Interesting Work

Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsGood people, comfortable atmosphere...
    Lots of really smart people here. It was somewhat of a humbling experience. Very innovative, cool projects, and opportunities to suggest ideas for new directions.

ConsNot necessarily bad, but the company is now owned by Stryker, so things could have changed since I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Company takes pride in their product, but overall is just so-so to work at.

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Davie, FL

ProsMost teams are very strict with interviews, some going so far as to only hire overqualified people to be sure of the quality of their work. This can lead to a very talented team of co-workers.

Recently purchased by Stryker corporation, which is why I projected "will improve".

ConsMost people report working long hours with less than desired appreciation.

Decisions passed down often don't make sense, such as asking for features customers don't seem to want and ignoring customer requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime management/expectation needs to be improved. Even with people being asked to work long hours, there still isn't room for important development and testing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Work Experience but cliques like highschool

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay and opportunity for advancement. Great upper management

ConsMid level management and the politics

Challenging and frustrating this like a car stuck in sand or an great football quarterback sitting on the side lines

Senior Planner (Former Employee) Davie, FL

ProsVery intelligent and innovative engineers on the technology side of the business

ConsThe regimes in the operations including supply chain executives are incompetent. They talk the walk, but not walk the talk. They lack practical experience in all discipline in management principle they just run the company with excessive metrics. Where now management only has time to devise and manage a very aesthetically pleasing charts grafts that does not allow time to tackle the root cause of the problem. This effort is like going to your doctor and he does every single test on you whether you need them or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey have lost the sensitive of their biggest asset the people. Do not drive them on full blast forever in spite of their assertiveness in a fast pace company (remember dress me slowly, because I am in a hurry)

Worldwide total joint replacement service in one, out of this world precision and outcome

Clinical Applications Support Specialist (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

Prosfast paced team oriented company and follow goal suggestions of employees

ConsCould be more structured, and provide more feedback to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide feedback to employees more often

A dynamic, energetic workplace seeking to change the way orthopaedic joint replacement surgery is performed.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsThe employees are dedicated and intelligent. There are many people from many different cultures working for the company making it like a mini-United Nations. The technology that is at the core of the business is amazing.

ConsThe culture at Mako has been to work hard and you will be rewarded through the stock option program. With the stock tumbling over 75% since 2012, the incentive to work hard when all of your stock options are under water is gone.

Great learning opportunities at an innovative company

ProsChallenging and innovative environment, great potential for the technology to grow.

ConsWork-life balance is not a priority. Morale suffers.

Company is a long way from being a major player in its industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood location near major highways.

ConsPoor corporate culture. Poor communication with employees; departments are not team-oriented.
    Sales team constantly changing. Exec. team not in tune with employees.
    Layout of offices is terrible--ugly old cubes, little to no space. Too much distraction. No interaction among departments; Unfriendly atmosphere. People don't acknowledge each other when passing in hallways etc.
    Too cost conscious in the wrong areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strong, interactive morale-boosting corporate culture. Communicate better and get in touch with your employees.

Disorganized

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsSurgical robotics is a very interesting area to work on. It is a combination of robotics, visualization, medical image analysis, implants, user interface, etc.

ConsThe company is not treating the employees well enough. Engineers are seldom appreciated in terms of compensation and benefits. Upper management often makes unachievable goals and blames everyone when we fail to achieve them.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees. Don't be afraid to change old habits -- many of them are bad.

Worked for MAKO Surgical? Contribute to the Community!