MAT Holdings Reviews

Updated January 28, 2015
35 reviews filtered by
2.4
Steve W. Wang

Job Seeker Beware - MAT is an underhanded, poorly led company from the top down.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Glenwillow, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Glenwillow, OH

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Even for those starting as temps, there is room for growth given above average aptitude. After starting as a temp, I was quickly hired in and promoted from order puller to flat bed loader. From there I was promoted to assistant supervisor, and then to 2nd shift supervisor. This was all in the space of 2 years. That is the only pro I can describe.

Cons

Corporate leadership is abysmal to say the least. From the top down, there is zero appreciation for work ethic or performance. After taking our warehouse in Glenwillow, OH from bottom of the pack to the number one warehouse in the company for all of 2014, they closed our doors two days before Thanksgiving. We were given approximately six weeks of notice, despite corporate having known of the plans to close for close to a year. Our options at that time were to either accept a pittance in severance right before the holidays, or we could apply to another distribution center within the company. However, there was no guarantee of a job elsewhere, and if you were hired, you had to foot the bill for relocation with no help from the company. As a supervisor, I was making roughly $14,000 less than the median wage for a comparable position within North East Ohio. On November 24, 2014 we locked the doors for the last time, 2 days before Thanksgiving. Without so much as a thank you for our efforts in making Glenwillow the number one warehouse, the few of us left were left with an alkaline taste in our mouth. Corporate truly treated us as garbage.

Learn how to deal with people.
    Realize that the little people who you employ make your bloated salaries for you.
    Have some compassion and understanding.
    Come down from your ivory towers and be grateful for those you rely on to pad your wallets.
    Pay people what they're worth.
    Learn to communicate, and listen to what those in the trenches advise, since those at the top have no clue how a warehouse operates.

A toturous place to wirk

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I see is that the economy is picking up and I can start looking to get out.

Cons

The environment is the most depressing, mismanaged place you can imagine. Believe all of the negative reviews, they are completely accurate. The place is a revolving door of people, several people have left within days of starting. The offices are old and dirty. Upper management are clones of each other, all nasty mean, disrespectful, rude human beings. The sales people are bumbling dopes and HR department is a joke.

Not worth my time to comment in this section.

Titanic

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot truly find any pros to working at this company.

Cons

Terrible Culture and Senior Management does not tell truth to employees, each other and customers.

Be Honest

Its a place

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only thing is that you gain some experience.
    Company is growing
    Lots of Chinese people

Cons

0 work life balance
    if you are coming from a big company- dont even consider it
    no perks
    old dirty office with spiders
    people are here until 11 pm at night working
    some managers makes you come in on Saturdays
    There is no snow day- You will get written up if you dont show up because of a snow day even when there is a driving ban.

Stop being so greedy and do something good for employees
    offer summer hours, and option to work from home
    Treat employees as humans not as animals

Stay Away!!! Worst Company EVER!!!

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am racking my brains and I cannot think of one. Oh, the property surrounding the building is beautiful.

Cons

I've been here for a couple months and wish I had learned of Glassdoor before taking this job! Whatever you do, if you have a job, DO NOT LEAVE it for a job at this company. Even if you don't have a job, it's not worth it. Keep looking. Pass this company up. I've got my recruiter already looking for me and cannot wait to give my notice to get the heck out of this hell-hole. Everything written here from way back when to recent reviews is pretty spot on. I do not feel I can contribute anything different or new from what others have already said.

Get rid of your executives and Get rid of your HR department. All are USELESS and backstabbers and do not care who they step on to get ahead in their own careers.

Terrible, awful place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There isn't any pros that I can think about when talking about this place.

Cons

There is nothing nice about working here. Upper management is horrible. The offices are run down dirty and antiquated. Technology is non-existent. Training is non-existent. Turn over is off the charts. There is no sense of community, people don't feel comfortable talking with human resources since they have no power to make any change.

Read these reviews.

RUN AWAY!!!

Current Employee - Executive in Long Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Executive in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

Salary and some of the people are the only good things about this place.

Cons

Very high turnover, very low employee morale, tremendous lack of communication, no leadership, policies and rules apply based on who likes you, nepotism running rampid - as long as your last name is Wang or you are a friend - no qualifications needed! A lot of yelling and swearing at employees. Management tells you one thing then does the opposite - get everything in writing! Very cheap - be prepared to bring your own office supplies. Be prepared to spend over $700.00 a month for your share of medical/dental benefits! Building is falling apart. Water is yellow/brownish and contains lead (they even have a sign in the kitchen over the sink!).

Sell! You are selling off/closing your other divisions/companies slowly, without telling the effected people, sell this one - maybe someone else will buy it and care about the employees!

The sorriest company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, TN

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time

Pros

There is nothing good to say about this place

Cons

Management wants to run things by people being scared of him. Then when he makes a bad decision it is someone elses fault

The Jackson plant needs change and it needs to start at the director level and work it's way down. The company has no ethics at all.

Senior management has no respect for employees

Current Employee - Manager in Long Grove, IL

I have been working at MAT Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some nice people to work with. Nice location if you like a rural setting.

Cons

Managers take credit for the good ideas that employees have and blame the employee if the manager makes a mistake. Senior management only looks at costs and never the consequences of a decision. Management style is to scream and curse when anything is wrong. The stress level is always very high.

Listen to your staff and don't believe the lies from your managers.

DO NOT work for this company!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Long Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Long Grove, IL

I worked at MAT Holdings full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice kitchen. Nice co-workers; people just like you that hate their job!

Cons

Everything!! I read reviews on this company before I accepted the job offer. There was only 2 reviews at the time- both bad, but I kept a positive outlook. You're better off staying unemployed than taking a job at this company. Even if you're desperate. I've always had nothing but great performance reviews at every other job I've worked at and they fired me because of my "performance." What a joke. Funny how business gets slow and they start firing people for their "performance"... Now I have this big, embarrassing 7 month job on my resume that I have to explain every time I interview somewhere. Reading other reviews, I see that happened to several other people as well. This company is unlike any other I've ever seen. Its like they're in the twilight zone.

MAT Holdings Photos

View looking out from the front entrance
Managers Office (they are usually shared)

+ Add Photo