MAXIMUS

Updated December 17, 2014
2.5

MAXIMUS President, CEO, and Director Rich Montoni
Rich Montoni

Pros
  • good pay, mostly friendly employees, some management helpful (in 12 reviews)

• You truly are helping people in the community and changing lives, so big picture is important (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Recent late schedules leave little to no time to live a normal life (in 10 reviews)

• None, except maybe more room for advancement (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a very good employer, recommend you think twice before working here

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time

Pros

It was a job that paid decent for this area

Cons

Problems with training application. Deactivated and lost employee information. Extreme paranoia toward employees. Very disorganized. Poor communication

1.) improve the training program and support of it - so that when an required training application locks up on the 3rd day, it doesn't stay locked until the last day of training. My training app locked up, was reported and reported by the trainer, but did not get resolved until the final test was scheduled. I had to spend the training period observing the lessons, then when my app was finally unlocked, the day after the planned test - I had to rush through all the lessons, then take the test. Second, make very, very sure that key processes that are mandatory and for which if not followed can result in termination are drilled in and reinforced, not just mentioned once.
    2) Validate before deactivating employee access to timecard, email, and online university. 3 hours after I completed and passed my test, my access to these things was mysteriously deactivated. Because I couldn't access email during this period, I did not know who my supervisor was assigned. Any important job related communications were not received. It took two weeks and numerous calls to HR and other groups to get it resolved. It could only be fixed by the job offer being resent to me, I accepted and then everything could be set up again. Then in the next pay period, my direct deposit information was wiped and my check was mailed instead of deposited.
    3) Treat employees with respect and stop being so paranoid. When my access was deactivated, management came down and interrogated me. I was told I didn't work there, I was accused of being a spy for the media and I had to prove that I was an employee. On my third week on the call center floor, I accidentally missed a mandatory step when supporting a customer. My next day, when I came to work, my key card was deactivated and I was forced to sit in the lobby for an hour waiting for management to escort me before a higher level mgr, where I was asked if I wanted my job and if I liked working there. I was asked if I deliberately sabotaged the call. Then when it was explained that I missed this step, I was told I was terminated. No warning, no retraining, nothing. Just escorted out like I was a criminal - but hey - you were kind enough to tell me that I now qualified for Obamacare because I'm recently unemployed.
    4) Put better tracking and processing of requests in place. Requests to change shifts with other employees were approved, then lost and had to be resubmitted. Allow shift changes to be requested without requiring the exchange between employees. I lost out on shift changes because the coworkers I was swapping with quit and a shift change was not allowed for the now available slot.

Consumers service specialist III

Former Employee - Consumers Services Special IT III in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Consumers Services Special IT III in Albany, NY

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good start off pay, easy interview process you need to get hired through staffing company

Cons

Everything about this place sucks, managers, leads upper management everything ....I'm not naturally not a complainer but I had to write a review they hire favorites to move up in Company it's so hypocritical and unprofessional they don't even do drug tests when the company first started they didn't do background checks and there's now managers who who have a criminal records . Dress code is ridiculous, everyone looks like there about to go to club stay away don't get ducked in with the pay!!!

Csr

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time

Pros

Good work environment and fun co workers

Cons

None, except maybe more room for advancement.

Great to learn what not to do!

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job and a paycheck

Cons

you name it they have done it! Poor Culture, bad Morale, Greedy top level management, Terrible training, UN fair and unrealistic expectations. Works for the government mostly but makes up it's own rules about things. Promotions are highly based on political stance with top management. Pay seems fair until you find out what they really want you to do. Company has a number of active fair labor act lawsuits going on.

Start listening to your front line people and you will learn what you are doing wrong.

Deceitful

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The schedule was the only good thing.

Cons

The first negative experience I had with this company was the first time they decided to lie to me. They were ramping up a new call center in Boise, ID and telling people what they wanted to hear to pull them from their current occupations. They told me there would be performance based bonus incentives. There were not. They told about 2000 employees they would have jobs for 36 months. They laid off 1800 of them after 9 months. Even though employees were constantly asking if this was going to happen due to low call volume, they were repeatedly told they would have secure jobs.

Don't consciously decide to worsen the already hurting job market in the Boise area.

Temp job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Boise, ID

I have been working at MAXIMUS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for the area. Training was excellent, they took time to ensure you knew the material. Full benefits if you were there long enough. Most people were genuinely friendly.

Cons

Temp job, inconsistent policies. They worker pool is pretty shallow as they have burnt many a bridge with the community there. This is leading to more and more bizarre behavior from seriously damaged people who were hired out of desperation to meet numbers.

Maximus is a great company but the pay is horrible, unless you're in management.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful co workers
    Great benefits
    Family oriented
    Scheduling is great
    They give you lots pig chances on your attendance and try to work with you.

Cons

The pay is not all the great for the many tasks they have you doing. Some of the managers aren't friendly

Improve the pay and the turnover rate will go down

Good experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are Plenty of job opportunity.

Cons

Human resources department is horrible. One of the worst set of people I have ever worked with. Totally inexperienced and lacks the know how of how to deal with people.

If Illinois wasn't a at will state you guys would get sued time and time again......seriously

Great Employer. Sorry I had to leave for reasons unrelated to my relationship with the company.

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I found them to be efficient in their processes and there was a good working chain of command communication system. I was able to do my job effectively and without any major internal hurdles. If not for a family issue, I would likely still be working there.

Cons

As with any company, there are always some bad eggs or just plain dead weight. I think they tolerate some of these for longer than perhaps they should and are not as selective as they can be during the hiring process.

Weed out the dead weight and be more selective in your hiring.

Maximus Honolulu

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Just started and so far it seems to be a great job.

Cons

Pay aint that good for one: being in Hawaii and everything is so expensive along with taxes etc!!!! two: It doesn't seem as if there is any room to climb up the ladder.

Very tight and doesn't seem like any room to do so