MAXIMUS Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.5

MAXIMUS President, CEO, and Director Rich Montoni
Rich Montoni

Pros
  • Good pay and somewhat good benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to grow and fine tune your skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Recent late schedules leave little to no time to live a normal life (in 8 reviews)

• Not much room for advancement, boring work for meager pay, it's hard to stay motivated at the job (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Nurse reviewers are not valued as professionals; pay is poor; a monkey can be trained to write letters!

Former Employee - Nurse Reviewer  in  Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Nurse Reviewer in Scranton, PA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Office culture is one of solitude. You work in a cubicle all day, and must be very quiet. The case reviews can be interesting with some challenge for a nurse with good medical knowledge and the ability to link it with Medicare requirements.

Cons

For a salaried position, the company treats its employees as if they are punching a time clock. Watch your lunch break if you get one, because many of us just worked and ate a bagged lunch in our cubicle. The area is monitored with security cameras. Often times, staff were expected to work on Saturdays for no additional pay. Training for new updates could include a webinar for 10 minutes--or a teleconference if the phone system allowed. Management is not truthful about production numbers and deadlines. They dangle the word "bonus" to staff in order to increase productivity--only to find that the bonus does not apply for the time period they needed to up their numbers. Team supervisors were not helpful, and would admit that the employee probably knew more about a particular review, than they did. No help or guidance at all.

Don't threaten staff with your made up rules, as you go along. One week, things are done a particular way, and then the following week, it returns to the way it was previously. Give nurses the respect they deserve.

Maximus NYC

Current Employee - CSS III  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - CSS III in New York, NY

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a whole mix of people from different cultures and backgrounds in this company, co-workers try to help to each other on the daily tasks. There is a lot you will learn by yourself.

Cons

The floor support to agents is absolutely weak , there is no enough training or shadowing, they expect you to learn by yourself by reading em@ils you receive constantly during your whole shift while you are talking to customers on the phone. Your “Team Lead” is the one to provide you support when you have questions however the “Team Lead” in my group yell to people things like “Don’t ask me anything if you haven’t read your thousand email first, use your resources, how can you be so lazy” after exhausted all your resources without finding the answer you need and you ask your “Team Lead” for some guide, you might get and answer like “I’m too busy right now, ask someone else…”
    The way they manage people is horrible, the environment is very restrictive and stressful besides they provide you with ambiguous information.
    Payment is too low for the amount of stress

Treat your people like humans and not like war prisoners

HQ doesn't seem to care

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance is good, the people I worked with in my immediate workplace were nice and helpful, good experience (to a degree), they will cover some business expenses depending on your role.

Cons

Compensation is on the very low-end of the industry for the size of the company. There are no perks, they barely cover the cost of food when you travel, lots of stupid policies (although I expect this is the case at many companies), and your upward mobility can be severely limited based on the division you're in. Biggest issue is that bonuses are used in place of reasonable base-pay raises, but bonuses are set by what level employee you are, not your individual performance. I'm in a smaller division though, so maybe my experience is localized

Fix the bonus structure, stop nickel and diming your employees, become more transparent about P/L of the division, get rid of the travel department - they literally serve no purpose

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lipstick on a pig

Former Employee - CCR  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - CCR in Austin, TX

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was very satisfying to assist recipients who were mentally and physically challenged. This really made you feel good. This however, wasn't the fact with Maximus. I had a really sweet Manager but this was the only person in Management that respected me. Other members of management could care less about you or your concerns. This company is good if you need to pay the rent or make a car payment.

Cons

Just about everything, from working off the clock to the required OT. Accept this job for what it is, if your expectations change after starting work don't be surprised. No one stays and the pay is below average. When you leave, and you will leave, regardless of how or when, just accept the fact that this is a dead end company and that makes the job the same. When you do leave you'll understand what I mean. Better luck in the future!

Seek more scrutiny from the State of Texas, then the corporate culture will have to change. It won't happen without scrutiny from outside

Project Manager

I worked at MAXIMUS for more than 3 years

Pros

good compensation and ability to move up

Cons

upper management was not always responsive

Good

I have been working at MAXIMUS

Pros

Compensation is good and work is challenging

Cons

Bureaucracy is very high. Beware

Such high potential in the hands of poor management

I have been working at MAXIMUS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Clean updated professional work environment.

Cons

Management is vulgar, unprofessional and void of people skills. Treats staff as personal servants.

Potentially good employer if they knew how to manage people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Being able to help those in need. Having a sense that what we did mattered and have an affect on someone's life. The team was friendly which helped when the clientele was often less than friendly.

Cons

Too much confusion on the WECare project. Management that did not seem to know what they were getting into when they won the bid. They only focused on the bottom line and did not have any real concern for the clients. Kept adding to the process but wanted us to do it in less time. Everyone was a temp and was promised full time status within 6 months which never happened.

Re-vamp or streamline the process. Hire more FULL TIME staff.

Great Mission, Successful Company

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Strong management teams, good supervisors; noble mission and a lot of passion for the work.

Cons

Too many employees trying to game the system, being absent or abusing leave and leaving the rest with to pick up the pieces. Too much personal drama.

Clear out the dead wood quicker.

Great employer to work for.

Former Employee - In Person Assister  in  Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - In Person Assister in Charleston, WV

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom of making my own schedule and co-workers.

Cons

Lack of supervision meant a lack of information sometimes.

More communication with employees. Don't depend on supervisors to trickle down all the information.

Worked for MAXIMUS? Contribute to the Community!