MAXIMUS

Be The First To
Add Photos

MAXIMUS President, CEO, and Director Rich Montoni

Rich Montoni

Pros
  • Good pay and somewhat good benefits(in 8 reviews)

• Great place to grow and fine tune your skills(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Recent late schedules leave little to no time to live a normal life(in 8 reviews)

• Not much room for advancement, boring work for meager pay, it's hard to stay motivated at the job(in 6 reviews)

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worker drone bee

Customer Service Representative/Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat variety of people. Large area for eating and snacks. It's a job. Dress business casual.

ConsManagement teaches you to do something one way, and then docs you for doing it the way you were taught! Because they change the policy and don't tell you about it(atleast it was for me as an entry level employee) entry is through a temp agency, and the pay is terrible.$10. Bosses are not on the same page and give you different answers (regarding rules and work instructions) for the same question.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your temps and entry level employees with respect and integrity. Admit when you do something wrong. Listen. I was trained by someone who clearly had no experience training, and was too busy to do so for fear of not making their quota. When I figured out who was a top employee and picked her brain on how things should be done, it was completely different. A lot of people don't take the extra effort to find out how to do things right and don't care since management gives them contradictory answers and the pay is so low. Sadly, speed is more important than quality. You could do 100 applications a day and have to redo 60 of them. You get credit for doing those 60 again, meanwhile someone could be just under the quota (say 50) all perfect, and they will be the ones frowned upon even though technically they are more efficient and producing more work. Fix that. Also, supervisors and managers nearby should try introducing themselves, especially before barking out orders. This happened to me, surprise. Lol. " I'm sorry, who are you? I don't believe we've met". Practice what you preach. Don't tell a new worker she can't wear yoga type pants to work and that she needs to change when you yourself do it, or one of your friends at work do it, so you say nothing to them, don't be selective on who the rules apply for.

Started out great but quickly tanked

Instructional Designer (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsInitially I started working for a training department that understood training, the ups and downs and challenges, how important it was, and that supported instructional designers and trainers.

ConsWhen I got there, everything at this division had been controlled by one person who did not have the scope for the job. A big shakeup happened in management. A number of people were brought in to run several different departments. And quickly, someone young and inexperienced was promoted to a position above his abilities and while he had a different focus, once again, everything become about one focus to the exclusion of all others. And again, since one person can't run all aspects of a company, especially those he doesn't understand, the project was endangered again and went downhill.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate! Talk to your people and LISTEN to them. No one person should be in charge of everything. It's too much for one person but ego gets in the way.

Great place to learn, but no career advancements.

Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsLooks great on resume, benefits.

ConsManagement has absolutely no people skills. Little to no room for advancement unless you are related to a director. Unqualified employees are in management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees when they want to move in to a different position and do not promote based on the fact that they are married to a director.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Call center Customer Service Rep.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsVery friendly and nice environment.

ConsComparing with other call centers very low pay rate. ...

Advice to Senior ManagementThey all are very nice and friendly people.

Customer Service Representative - call center

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

Pros- It will help you develop your skills in handling phone conversations - if you need those
    - Also can get some experience in handling angry customers.

Cons- Super boring place to work at (at least the call center.) You work in a cubicle in a dark warehouse looking building - you loose self appreciation pretty quickly.
    - very bad incentives in the way the system is organized. Maximus is paid by CA government for the number of calls processed a day. This means that call reps are forced to do anything but make calls shorter, which normally leads into very unhelpful customer service.
    - Pay is minimum.
    - very high turn over
    - always a risk of loosing job, if the govt. decides to discontinue the contract. (and with the CA budget problems the risk is high every time)
    - No bonuses, not raises. No company culture. Pretty much just 8-5 in-n-out work.

Advice to Senior Management- Try to change a contract with govt. so that you can concentrate on customer satisfaction not the call volume.
    - raise some pay.
    - make more light in the building, and build some more windows.

Clueless managers. If it can be done by an H-1b then it will be.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThey kept their workstations and servers up-to-date. They were open to using the latest versions of frameworks.

ConsI interacted with three managers on several projects. The managers had very little understanding of the SDLC. If a requirement was changed or added, the managers were of the opinion that the developers should have foreseen the need and already have the functionality needed implemented. I was literally told that if I was asked a question it was never acceptable to say that I did not know. That that response was very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to commit to a course of action without involving the project team, do not expect them to take the blame when it fails.

Very large consulting firm concerned with growth and seven figure projects.

Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsLarge firm, lots of projects, experience, resources.

ConsVery concerned with wall street and quarterly results, to a fault. Large seven-figure deals are of paramount importance to this firm. Smaller contracts/projects/engagements did not seem to matter much to the company and management.

MMS review

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsLot of exciting work and variety of projects.

ConsHeavy duty work schedule. work weekends late nights and travel is involved. Some of the VPs are are very rude and humiliating

MAXIMUS is not the place you go if you want to advance your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsState projects at MAXIMUS observe both federal and state holidays.
    Locations spread across the country.
    A good environment for those who thrive on "under pressure" situations.

ConsManagement is disorganized and micro-manages every project. More time is spent preparing status than getting work done.
    The company operates with little to no knowledge sharing, everyone is constantly re-inventing the wheel.
    Company focus is on profitability, not employee well being, happiness at work, or professional improvement.
    No career advancement opportunity.
    Under-qualified individuals often get hired with lower salaries to fill positions for "less."

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people. Get them the training and support they need, do not rely solely on "on the job training." Do not speak ill of people to other employees; word gets around and gets back to the people you've been talking about.

great on resume for future career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Folsom, CA

ProsGood on resume for future career

Conslot of hours not meeting pay

Advice to Senior Managementhire more college grads

Worked for MAXIMUS? Contribute to the Community!