MAXIMUS Reviews in Sacramento, CA

Updated August 22, 2014

2.5

MAXIMUS President, CEO, and Director Rich Montoni
Rich Montoni

Pros
  • Good pay and somewhat good benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to grow and fine tune your skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Recent late schedules leave little to no time to live a normal life (in 8 reviews)

• Not much room for advancement, boring work for meager pay, it's hard to stay motivated at the job (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Solid primary contractor for California State government healthcare.

Former Employee - Training Specialist  in  Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Folsom, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Management was genuinely caring with the contractor staff. I felt treated like a regular employee.

Cons

Very resistant to change (as an organization) - particularly with advancing technology.

Consider the benefits of keeping pace with technology. In my case, training and development technology can all but eliminate paper in the classroom by using tablets with updated/current documents pushed to the devices.

Run!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at MAXIMUS full-time for less than a year

Pros

There really are no good reasons to accept work at Maximus. If you have ANY other options, you should take them and run from this company as fast as you can!

Cons

Leadership really knows nothing about the business they are running. Leaders possess little or extremely poor communication skills and treat their people poorly.

Replace your senior leadership in this location as they are not managing the project successfully. There is a lack of even the basic organizational structure, the HR department is not responsive and is completely ineffective and leadership has no knowledge of call center operations so they can't correct any outstanding issues due to fear of their bosses finding out they don't know anything. They "tweak" the contractually required operation metrics in order to show they met the contract requirements when they did not. The entire organization is disgruntled, unhappy and most are looking for ways to get out. Turnover is very high and increasing daily while the senior executives bury their heads in the sand to avoid taking responsibility. Time for a complete overhaul of this operation.

Worker drone bee

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Eligibility Specialist  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Eligibility Specialist in Sacramento, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great variety of people. Large area for eating and snacks. It's a job. Dress business casual.

Cons

Management teaches you to do something one way, and then docs you for doing it the way you were taught! Because they change the policy and don't tell you about it(atleast it was for me as an entry level employee) entry is through a temp agency, and the pay is terrible.$10. Bosses are not on the same page and give you different answers (regarding rules and work instructions) for the same question.

Treat your temps and entry level employees with respect and integrity. Admit when you do something wrong. Listen. I was trained by someone who clearly had no experience training, and was too busy to do so for fear of not making their quota. When I figured out who was a top employee and picked her brain on how things should be done, it was completely different. A lot of people don't take the extra effort to find out how to do things right and don't care since management gives them contradictory answers and the pay is so low. Sadly, speed is more important than quality. You could do 100 applications a day and have to redo 60 of them. You get credit for doing those 60 again, meanwhile someone could be just under the quota (say 50) all perfect, and they will be the ones frowned upon even though technically they are more efficient and producing more work. Fix that. Also, supervisors and managers nearby should try introducing themselves, especially before barking out orders. This happened to me, surprise. Lol. " I'm sorry, who are you? I don't believe we've met". Practice what you preach. Don't tell a new worker she can't wear yoga type pants to work and that she needs to change when you yourself do it, or one of your friends at work do it, so you say nothing to them, don't be selective on who the rules apply for.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started out great but quickly tanked

Former Employee - Instructional Designer  in  Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Folsom, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Initially I started working for a training department that understood training, the ups and downs and challenges, how important it was, and that supported instructional designers and trainers.

Cons

When I got there, everything at this division had been controlled by one person who did not have the scope for the job. A big shakeup happened in management. A number of people were brought in to run several different departments. And quickly, someone young and inexperienced was promoted to a position above his abilities and while he had a different focus, once again, everything become about one focus to the exclusion of all others. And again, since one person can't run all aspects of a company, especially those he doesn't understand, the project was endangered again and went downhill.

Communicate! Talk to your people and LISTEN to them. No one person should be in charge of everything. It's too much for one person but ego gets in the way.

Great place to learn, but no career advancements.

Former Employee - Administrative Specialist  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Specialist in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Looks great on resume, benefits.

Cons

Management has absolutely no people skills. Little to no room for advancement unless you are related to a director. Unqualified employees are in management positions.

Help your employees when they want to move in to a different position and do not promote based on the fact that they are married to a director.

Call center Customer Service Rep.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly and nice environment.

Cons

Comparing with other call centers very low pay rate. ...

They all are very nice and friendly people.

Customer Service Representative - call center

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Folsom, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Folsom, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for less than a year

Pros

- It will help you develop your skills in handling phone conversations - if you need those
    - Also can get some experience in handling angry customers.

Cons

- Super boring place to work at (at least the call center.) You work in a cubicle in a dark warehouse looking building - you loose self appreciation pretty quickly.
    - very bad incentives in the way the system is organized. Maximus is paid by CA government for the number of calls processed a day. This means that call reps are forced to do anything but make calls shorter, which normally leads into very unhelpful customer service.
    - Pay is minimum.
    - very high turn over
    - always a risk of loosing job, if the govt. decides to discontinue the contract. (and with the CA budget problems the risk is high every time)
    - No bonuses, not raises. No company culture. Pretty much just 8-5 in-n-out work.

- Try to change a contract with govt. so that you can concentrate on customer satisfaction not the call volume.
    - raise some pay.
    - make more light in the building, and build some more windows.

Clueless managers. If it can be done by an H-1b then it will be.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

They kept their workstations and servers up-to-date. They were open to using the latest versions of frameworks.

Cons

I interacted with three managers on several projects. The managers had very little understanding of the SDLC. If a requirement was changed or added, the managers were of the opinion that the developers should have foreseen the need and already have the functionality needed implemented. I was literally told that if I was asked a question it was never acceptable to say that I did not know. That that response was very unprofessional.

If you are going to commit to a course of action without involving the project team, do not expect them to take the blame when it fails.

Very large consulting firm concerned with growth and seven figure projects.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large firm, lots of projects, experience, resources.

Cons

Very concerned with wall street and quarterly results, to a fault. Large seven-figure deals are of paramount importance to this firm. Smaller contracts/projects/engagements did not seem to matter much to the company and management.

MMS review

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Sacramento, CA

I worked at MAXIMUS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lot of exciting work and variety of projects.

Cons

Heavy duty work schedule. work weekends late nights and travel is involved. Some of the VPs are are very rude and humiliating

Worked for MAXIMUS? Contribute to the Community!