MBP

Updated July 23, 2014
Updated July 23, 2014

3.4

Charles E Bolyard Jr

Great company to work for!

Pros

The company truly lives by it's values. Integrity, teamwork, hardwork, being forward-looking, and giving back to the community are obvious priorities in this company. It's nice to work for a firm that believes in doing the right thing.

Cons

Some of the best people are the hardest workers and, in turn, work long hours. They try to encourage a work-life balance, but it is difficult given the expectations of management.

Would never work for this company again

Pros

Good opportunities for growth if you are an engineer or construction team member.

Cons

The pay nor benefits is not up to par with some of its competitors. Depending on who you know in the company, will get you pretty far, not necessarily what you know.

Good career experience and good networking connections.

Former Employee - Lead Consultant
    Former Employee - Lead Consultant

Pros

Good Co-workers and clients. I was able to work with and connect with some incredibly smart and talented people. Working with these people helped me to sharpen my skills and knowledge base. I also had the opportunity to work on good projects which helped to pad my resume with valuable experience.

Cons

As the company transitioned from a small to medium sized company, they lost some of the qualities that made it a good company to work for. They became more impersonal and everything was about the bottom line, but they still touted the line "we are family". I prefer to keep my family and business completely separated. I prefer my employee to be real with me at all times and the "we are family" thing began to appear real fake. At that point I lost trust and confidence in who I was working for because they seemed to be having an identity crisis.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MBP

Former Employee - Lead Construction Consultant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Construction Consultant in Fairfax, VA

Pros

great company to work for they treat employees very well

Cons

Not really anything bad to say from me

Bad internship experience

Former Employee - Inspector  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Inspector in Roanoke, VA

Pros

-Got construction experience which is always important as a college student

Cons

-Did not feel like my managers wanted to teach me anything
    -Felt like I was taken advantage of to stay on site while managers left early
    -Worked multiple double shifts and long hours

Work on your internship program

If you have experience, you must travel, a lot. You may get travel pay, but it will be low.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Charlie is the heart of the organization, and a good one.

Cons

Inconsistent travel reimbursement that must be negotiated for each assignment.

Be wary of managers who do not have any idea about proper behavior in a work environment.

Good

Pros

Good working place for engineers.

Cons

Nothing negative to report about this company

Nothing

I worked as an Inspector Trainee intern on nighttime highway construction.

Former Employee - Inspector Trainee  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Inspector Trainee in Roanoke, VA

Pros

1.) They are a company with great values.
    2.) Each of my supervisors (I was moved to three different projects while working there) were extremely helpful and eager to share their knowledge.
    3.)Great for a first time intern. They are very reasonable in what they expect out of you.

Cons

1.) I would typically work about 10 hours a night, so I didn't have much of a social life that summer.
    2.) I would have liked to have had more responsibilities with respect to project planning/management.

Lot's of good ideas and good people but a thorny management structure.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

Pros

MBP has an excellent on-boarding process. Their HR group is engaged and "hip" despite the fact they advertise one salary and then make the offer at a seriously reduced rate. The process is a good one and a candidate gets to meet a lot of people during the interview process. That helps with red flags, meaning that the candidate can see if there may be a "problem" working with an MBP employee.

Cons

The internal politics are pretty disruptive. There are people in management positions that shouldn't be in them. The marketing department is in disarray. The growth plan is 15 years behind-the-times. MBP is one of these firms that has sort of "succeeded" despite its dysfunction. Fairly typical of firms such as these. It's overall dysfunction is catching up with it.

Management at headquarters needs a thorough and complete housecleaning. Some need to retire and some need to go do something else. Interpersonal and intra-personnel relationships at high levels need to be scrutinized closely. These relationships cause overall friction among employees and thwart company growth.

A company that valued teamwork

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Values were great: Teamwork, Community, Harkworking, Integrity, Forward Looking, Quality

Cons

Compromised the very values that made them great.

Practice what you preach.

Worked for MBP? Contribute to the Community!