MBS Textbook Exchange

2.6

Bob Pugh

Account manager

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange

Pros

Growth is limited. But expierence us good

Cons

Managemebt is over worked and not knowledgeable

Mindless Labor

Former Employee - Associate in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Associate in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job. Lots of time to think..

Cons

IT is either very busy or completely dead. Its a college job. No phones were allowed, which is childish.

We succeed in spite of ourselves

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great and flexible scheduling was a great option.

Cons

Boys club, questionable ethics, low moral, senior management doesn't have a clue.

MBS is an organization of inconsistency resulting from an inherent and pervasive lack of communication.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MBS has a very generous 401K. The company offers a 100% match on up to 6% employee with a reliable additional discretionary contribution. Health insurance coverage is above average.

Cons

Morale continues to be inconsistent, but generally deteriorating, due to malignant pockets of favoritism at all levels of the organization.

The condition of the physical plant is laughable at times. Recent upgrades to physical material flow have helped, but are hindered by such things as the failure to invest in such basics as replacements for worn out scanning guns.

Previous posts have given HR high grades, but there are also many examples where situations have been "escalated" as a form of punishment or control. Previous posts have noted, correctly, that no secret is made of the fact that you as an employee are expendable.

Management culture at the executive level has always been a very top down affair with very little input sought out or condoned. Middle Management is unresponsive and unapproachable. A "Focus Group" was initiated several years ago and was dropped when the invitees wanted to talk about more than what kind of candy to put in the vending machines. Lower level management does the best they can (depending on the individual) with the tools at their disposal.

Take an occasional walk around once in a while. Ask questions. Listen to the needs of the people that make your company run. Make informed decisions. Don't rely so much on yes people. You did what needed to be done to build MBS, albeit always with an authoritarian manner, but now seem to be skating towards retirement.

One basic and concrete example of what is wrong with the organization: MBS buys and sells used textbooks. Go out and look at what is considered acceptable for purchase and reflect on the impression that any given book makes on the eventual purchaser. Now look up and ask yourself if now might be the time to do something about material moving equipment that damages product as it is moved from one part of the warehouse to another part.

Very warm, friendly environment.

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think it really depends on the department you work in. I love working in mbs direct. Wonderful people, flexible schedule, lots of work but everyone helps out. If I stay late, my supervisor comes over and asks if she can help me. Very busy times but slower times as well. Many different duties. Very good job for someone who loves to stay busy and can multitask. They promote from within. If the new position doesn't work out then you can return to your previous position. Great benefits.

Cons

Salary could be better considering the many job responsibilities.

Best place I have ever worked

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you are well treated, time off when needed, benefits are great, enjoy actually coming to work. hours are great, if you need to switch them around management is ok with it. co-workers(what few I have) we all get along great couldn't ask for a better group

Cons

coming to work when your boss only has negative things to say
    could use a bit more pay. but I will take a lower pay for being treated great

Good place to work in between jobs.

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange

Pros

The free books for employees is helpful. Take advantage of it. It's very 8-5 so it's a good place to work while you take classes. I would recommend it if you're trying to start a family - excellent benefits.

Cons

I really don't think management understands the business anymore. It's very sad because so many good people work here - and the pay isn't very competitive. This could've a great company but hubris and cronyism are prevalent.

If you could care about the people that work for you the company would be so much better. You have many people here that are well educated and smart. Listen to them.

Brutal, unforgiving, and a little racist.

Former Employee - Shelver in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Shelver in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, other low level employees are typically okay. HR is good.

Cons

Management is harsh and unforgiving. They expect books to go in places they don't fit and don't understand what the actual floor is like. Overheard shelving boss and lackey laugh and criticize at Bosnian and African immigrants accents and speaking abilities.

Try to understand you're employing humans and please respect other cultures. It's very hurtful and pushes employees away.

Fast pace

Current Employee - Client Services in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Client Services in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back, great HR department, good company in Columbia Mo.

Cons

Some upper management people do not interact or respect workers. Low salaries.

Treat people with respect. Acknowledge their thoughts and ideas instead of knocking them down.

Very Negative Environment

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time

Pros

None, None, None, None, None

Cons

Salary, Incompetent Managers, Competitive Co-Workers

If you hire someone, let him/her do the job.

MBS Textbook Exchange Photos