MBS Textbook Exchange

Updated September 19, 2014
Updated September 19, 2014
2.6

Bob Pugh

Free books for employee a plus.

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good location. Employee can get free books for college classes.

Cons

Low pay, unpleasant atmosphere. Managers don't treat their employee well.

Gave employee the opportunity to evaluate their managers.

A great place to work that offers several career options,work hard and you are rewarded/promoted.

Current Employee - Managager  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Managager in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As someone that started at a lower level position I have been promoted twice within the company, I have seen several employees move up the company chains or latterly to another career choice of their desire within MBS. I know most would not list this as a pro, but this company actually listens to employees, if you are someone with a poor attitude and/or poor work ethic you do not get promoted, meaning the best employees are the ones that move up. I have read the reviews on here and honestly can tell you who some of them are, and can confirm they were not an employee/coworker that anyone would have promoted. Lots of opportunity with a local company, that has the innovation to continue to move to the future.

Cons

If I had to say any I would say pay is low on a national level, but on par with mid west area.

Continue to promote those that do the best, feel free to listen to the troublemakers but understand they are likely going to just complain because they feel they are not going anywhere. *sigh* (Maybe do your job and you could get a promotion?) *sigh*

Horrible working conditions, lack of communication, lack of training

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Having HyVee on site every day selling breakfast and lunch. Nice breakroom.

Cons

It rained on my desk. The workspaces are depressing, there are no windows, there's a lack of training on technical sides of the business, management can't or won't communicate what they really want from people. Anyone with any real talent won't stay. It's a revolving door. If you are friends with the wrong people, it can cost you.

Notice that you need to provide more training on your products and services when it is requested. In addition, be clear about what you want.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of my worst jobs, ever.

Former Employee - Implementation Specialist  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Implementation Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

These people would not give me any real work to do, even after being "trained" on very simple application for two months. Management didn't care about anyone. The long-time employees were unfriendly and defensive.

Fire all the mid-level managers and most of the staff and start over.

Want to hate your life? Work Here

Former Employee - Client Services  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Client Services in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time

Pros

They have enough vending machines and bad cafe food to feed an army.
    At 5pm on Friday, you get 2 days of freedom

Cons

Starting pay a miserable 28k. Terrible vacation time. Terrible atmosphere. No windows in entire building, old equipment, bad technology.
    Good luck advancing anywhere in this company. They will "promote" you with a title edit, but no change in pay. You are confined to a small grey cubical all day long. So, if you like a depressing atmosphere, empty promises, and wasting your life -- this is the spot for you.
    Every single person working here with half a brain and any motivation or goals in life is looking for another job.
    If I had to give someone advice, avoid this place like the plague.

Who are you? Workers here your names, but you are nowhere to be found. Try and interact with the people that make you your money.

Good for a first tech job... terrible if you actually know what you are doing.

Former Employee - Systems Support - POS Support  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Systems Support - POS Support in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits were ok-ish, Plenty of opportunities to work overtime if you wanted. Very good job security. HR department is amazing and easily one of the best I've ever worked with. They company as a whole is a good company. Free text book rental program is awesome for anyone in college (or that has kids/spouse in college)

Cons

Systems department defines the phrase "Promote the problem". In the years I was with the company I could name more then a handful of people that were specifically promoted to remove them from their current position. It is common place for managers of one department to delude managers from another when a 'bad' employee applies for a different position, and on the flip side when a "good" employee applies, it is not unheard of for management to actively sabotage any move outside their department. Promotions were almost unheard of, even though upward movement is something they tout and brag about when you first interview. The "Open door" policy is a joke and those that do speak out are labeled and either quietly removed or targeted and any promotions that may come up will be withheld, or just simply ignored and or berated.

Management has no problem straight faced lying about raises. Specifically they will tell each employee that they were given "the maximum the company allows" and in reality some employees will receive more then each other while talking about pay is strictly forbidden. Constant forced long hours, sometimes without pay. Although some departments do get paid for after hours work, it is not at time and a half like most organizations, it is either at your normally hourly, or some odd formula that works out to quite a bit less then what your hourly salary would be, unless management denies your submitted overtime (which happens often). Also, most departments do not get overtime, so the few that do are specifically told NOT to tell the departments that do not get it.

Most jobs within the systems department are disgustingly underpaid for the job that they are asked to do. Specifically, level 1 technicians will be asked to do work that is routinely what would be considered in any other organization level 2 or 3, and still paid and treated like a level 1.

Training is a very sink or swim environment in where you are sent to multiple training classes that have little or no baring on what you will actually do for a job, and then any further training is nothing more then shadowing another employee for an arbitrary length of time until you are finally just set to sink or swim.

If you do need help, the little that is documented is usually incorrect and when you need assistance from a co-worker, the lynch pin environment where knowledge is held like a trade secrete makes it very difficult to get any work done and if you finally do manage to find what you need, there is usually only one or two people that actually know the answer.

Favoritism is blatant, obvious, and 'sucking up' is rewarded.

Management is quick to point the finger below them when something goes wrong, but will almost never give credit when something goes right.

Pay is disgustingly below even the city average for the technical jobs they require.

Drama, rumors, and backstabbing run rampant in most departments in systems.

Turnover is a huge problem as it was almost impossible to keep even half the department staffed with trained employees.

This is the only place I have ever worked where I was offered a promotion to another department, accepted, and that promotion was then taken away with no explanation.

As has been said in many other reviews, LISTEN to your employees. I realize that you are all powerful managers, but they might see things that you do not. It is entirely possible that someone in a lower position might know more about what they do then you do. A huge dose of transparency would help a great deal with the drama that happens due to your decisions.

Pay your employees. At least CLOSE to what they are worth. Turnover happens for a reason and that reason isnt always "they found a great opportunity" Most of the people that left during the time I worked there would not have even looked for another job if they weren't so unhappy. That is a good place to start.

If you have a department where every single person that starts within the last five years begins looking for another job within a month of working there... there is a problem.

You are not near as smart as you think you are. Realize this and you will be a great deal wiser for it.

At what point do you finally stop blaming the people under you and realize.. maybe its you?

Decent first job.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get good experience to put on a résumé. Benefits are pretty decent.

Cons

Lack of flexibility, lack of career advancement, middle and upper management seem unwilling to evolve and embrace emerging technologies.

Foster an environment of growth, not paranoia.

If you're looking here, think twice and keep looking

I worked at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some great employees. Fair medical coverage,

Cons

MBS is the place to apply the phrase “be careful what you ask for, you may get it.”

Favoritism, a good old boy network, the list of sins is long. It suffers from horrible warehouse management, as another reviewer put it, expect to be treated like your expendable and reminded of it. I've heard things said by supervisors you wouldn't believe nor a decent place would tolerated.

Wages increases are small and if employed long enough (and your wage goes high enough) watch your backside as a reason will be found to fire you. MBS relies on a core of first generation immigrants, collage students attracted by the book loan program and folks who have settled for less.

Those with talent and drive leave soon and even in a slow economy, people keep leaving. Don't think a office job will be better. Office employees will likely find themselves given laptops, so you can take your work home.

The worst thing I can say about MBS, I've never recommended a friend to work there. Do yourself a favor, keep looking.

Scrap your problem staff (and you know who they are), rework your business model, replace the building.

No respect for lower level employees - treated as completely disposable.

Current Employee - Warehouse - Sorting  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Warehouse - Sorting in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

The inventory is quite interesting, as is the business model. Great collection of materials

Cons

Management has absolutely no respect for labor. Supervisors are not competent. Motivation is entirely through fear of retribution. Alienating work environment, employees never speak to one another on the job, leaving this a very lonely place to work.

Show some respect and engage in positive reinforcement.

Provided a summer job while in college

Current Employee - Shelver  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Shelver in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MBS Textbook Exchange part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work was straight forward in a comfortable environment.

Cons

very strict rules during work time

positive reinforcement goes a long way.

Worked for MBS Textbook Exchange? Contribute to the Community!