MC Sports
www.mcsports.com Grand Rapids, MI 1000 to 5000 Employees

MC Sports Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
MC Sports – US – “MC Sports”

Bruce Ullery

Good experience

I have been working at MC Sports full-time

ProsFamily oriented, Time off, Benefits

ConsLot of hours, not much payroll for non salary employes

Great opportunity for retail experience!

Service Associate (Cashier) (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at MC Sports part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to learn a lot about the products, and how to effectively sell up-sell with add on items. Lots of opportunities to become close to fellow employees. Pretty good store atmosphere (better than working at ANY fast food joint). Managers were are well experienced and pleasant to work with (average amount of time before an employee can advance to manager is 8 years working in the store!!). Good in store training.

ConsHas standard retail hours (9 AM - 9 PM) which ends up splitting employees into two shifts (morning 8-3 and afternoon 2-10) although some stores may stack these hours differently. Pay is a little higher than minimum wage. Black Friday is a beast at these stores and you have to work on that day!! (expect a 12 hour day). Customers can be bitchy at times (but when aren't they, let's be honest).

Advice to Senior ManagementFor managers: Maybe a little more opportunities to do like team building events (even if it's just going out for a beer).

For Corporate: Pay the managers more! They work hard and deserve it.

Belly up by 2017 if they don't change their ways

I have been working at MC Sports

ProsOpportunity for advancement, good deals through vendor training(although corpo micro manages your order), fun work environment for the most part, kudos for not selling out last Black Friday

ConsNo matter how hard you try, how much you listen to your customers and relay that info to the buyer, they do NOTHING. The buyer of the year has that title because of a tragic shooting, not because he is a smart buyer. Margin is king! How's that working for ya? Looking pretty red week after week! Salary is NOT competitive, and raises don't even cover inflation. If you care so much about my health to develop the wellness at work program and insist I take part, why did you make my health insurance worse?

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest is some latest and greatest, listen to people you have empowered they actually do care and will work their butt off if they believe you do too. Invest in your current stores as much as you do with the new ones (as400 says new stores and remodels have merchandise on hand I was told is not available to me) How about a Christmas bonus?, I think 6 day work weeks throughout the holidays warrants a bonus.

Pros and Cons

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MC Sports full-time for more than a year

ProsSmall company
Great Environment
Listens to questions and concerns
Close knit districts
Opportunity for advancement
Great Training
Good perks

ConsVery outdated with computer technology and slow systems
Conflicting goals from corporate and district managers
Sometimes poor communication from corporate offices
Very poor work/life balance at management level
near impossible bonus acquirement

Advice to Senior ManagementBuyer's bonuses and performance is based too much on margin. This encourages them to buy low quality items, usually because they acquired through a "special buy". The stores then sit on this inferior product that takes floor space from product that customers are asking for.

Corporate doesn't care, but okay college job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at MC Sports full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree skiing, discounts, pro-forms, expos

Conslow pay, no communication between managers and DM's, terrible customers

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to listen to their employees; we have ideas that are great but they don't care because it wasn't their idea. There are employees who have been working for MC for 10+ years for 40+ hours a week.... Listen to what these people have to say. We know what customers are asking for, not the big wigs who sit behind a computer all day.

Embarassed to work at MC

Kentwood, MI

I have been working at MC Sports full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people at associate level. Nice to make repeat customers

ConsArrogant clueless DM's. Dish rage store management, SR level managers desperate to hold on to their jobs. And a CEO that spend too much time doing paperwork and no time doing people work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you lack passion get out of the industry. Stop blaming poor sales on "the weather"

Only because you need a job.

Associate Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at MC Sports full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to deal with people who are actually interested in their kids. The pay is just above food service work.

ConsStore management can get away with murder. Follow any sort of guidelines found in the associate manual and they will make your life hell. Any focus you place on incident reporting will land you in a place you don't want to be. I have had nothing but excellent reviews and I'm still out looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your store paper work district managers! Talking to your assistant managers and associate managers is allowing you to miss major theft and fraternization. If a store management team isn't training the associates or promoting the business they have no qualification to be management!

Nothing to write home about

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Kenosha, WI

I worked at MC Sports full-time for more than a year

ProsThe majority of the people who work there are passionate about sports. It was a lot of fun to work with certain people at this store.

ConsThey don't really care about their employees. Don't ever express and opinion and never ever tell the truth or call the ethics line. They will hold it against you pretty much forever. District managers are more focused on winning awards than actually improving store performance and their attitudes are horrible if they don't get their way. Store management is for the most part apathetic to the store, no one really cares.

USED and ABUSED

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at MC Sports full-time for more than a year

ProsDIscounts, 3 point 5, good part-time job if you have enough staff to cover every department and the store is doing well, don't go full-time, not worth the headaches.

ConsEverything from scheduling, upper management, lack of training, lack of adequate staff, 3 people to run an entire store consisting of a gun counter, registers, shoe department, fitting rooms, exercise equipment. Inventory strict, can't get customers the products they want.

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of the people who make your business run

Pleasant

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Akron, OH

I have been working at MC Sports full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy going company, good people working from the top down. Smaller side too who care about the Midwest.

ConsSelling items during a recession can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush more group sales.

Worked for MC Sports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MC Sports reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MC Sports CEO Bruce Ullery. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by MC Sports employees.