MCG Capital

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

MCG Capital President & COO B. Hagen Saville

B. Hagen Saville

Great experience. But probably not a place to spend the rest of your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at MCG Capital

ProsExperience. Definitely you will have an opportunity to see and do a lot of very exciting and interesting things. To truly appreciate this, you will have to push for exposure and ask a lot of questions, and take on a lot of responsibility.

ConsLack of competitive compensation. Lacking strategic direction and tactical execution. Despite experience, little opportunity for advancement. Too centralized.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop 5-year plan and share with employees.

Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at MCG Capital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUse to be many. Now none

ConsSinking Skip
*3 rounds of major layoffs in 5 years
* Closed 2 offices and moved the 3rd because the staff size shrunk so much.
* 80% reduction in head count
* Founder and CEO sacked. How'd that work for Apple back in the 90s?
* Every "Chief" level position turned over in 5 years.
* Vacation time eliminated as a benefit and turned in to "honor" system. Healthy companies don't do that.
* Company almost was sold in 2011 to another firm. That surely would have meant more layoffs. When will they try again?
* Company went cheap on 401k. Used to be major market player Fidelity. Switched to ADP. Huh? I didn't even know they did retirement plans. Not impressive
* Insider on "improvement committee" said management considered eliminating the retirement fund. This was met with much resistance by VPs but that make sense given that this is a company full of investors so naturally there'd be some pushback
*2012 was only time in 5 years company had an annual profit
*Portfolio value shrunk by half since 2007
* Morale is non-existent

Regarding layoffs, I understand market conditions change and companies must adapt. I get that, but there are ways to deal with this. One way is honesty, openness, dignity and respect. The other is secretive and disrespectful. Some employees there for DECADES were let go with basically a get out now. Another employee was given an end date only to have management break the promise 4 times. Nobody is entitled to job. What loyal employees are entitled is dignity and respect. Used to be a lot of good people. Now only the sharks remain in the shark tank.

One note: Site says CEO is Steve Tunney. No longer true as of Oct 2011. His replacement was a short-time and left a year later. Now CEO is Hagen Saville.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees with respect

Worked for MCG Capital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MCG Capital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MCG Capital CEO B. Hagen Saville. All reviews posted anonymously by MCG Capital employees.