MCN Healthcare

Amanda Valeur & Pam Gustafson

Loyal, Rewarding and Merit Based

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at MCN Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MCN is family owned. That means more good than bad to me. They are family. They treat their employees like family and are extremely loyal. They believe in education self-improvement and self empowerment. It is female entrepreneur owned and they strongly believe in entrepreneurial environment. If you have an idea, a way to improve something - they listen! They are interested in the community, supporting women and families in Africa. The employees are very supportive of each other and lift each other up -

Cons

I wish there were more events where we mingled with other departments. I want to understand strategy and direction of the company. There is a bit of a rumor culture. In order to understand the direction of the company or what/how we can support the company to do better and therefore keep our jobs!

Worse place to go to work for

I have been working at MCN Healthcare

Pros

Hard to think of any except fellow workers who are nice

Cons

no personal growth
    compensation is low
    cannot keep employees

doesn't matter, we all know owners will exert their will.

Unethical practices and false advertisment

I worked at MCN Healthcare

Pros

High Salary
    Not much to write here...culture had demotivated everyone...even the CEO left

Cons

Poor medical benefits
    Poor leadership
    Asked to perform unethical practices in technical arena
    Not willing to listen to any input
    Solution to everything is not to yell in meetings.
    Will fire anyone with no notice from the CEO down to the everyday employee for cutbacks

Be ethical in your business practices and marketing of your products. Asked to perform unethical practices in technical arena. Deceptive to customers.
    Not willing to listen to any input about how to be more ethical and nice to customers.
    Customers leave all the time when the realize the culture.
    Solution to everything is not to yell. Rather be unemployed that yelled at like a child in almost every meeting. DEMOTIVATING

Terrible Place to Work

I have been working at MCN Healthcare

Pros

There are very few. The only ones are nice coworkers (but not management). Also, decent vacation time and other benefits but other than that nothing.

Cons

Incredibly high turnover rate. Average employee is there for a couple months, most no more then one year. Also, nepotism in company. Lots of fighting and backstabbing; managers will throw people under the bus to save their necks (this happens pretty much every day). Incredibly low staff morale. Can't stress the high turnover rate enough. It is pretty shocking.

In order to make this a good place to work, managers need to stand up for their employees and be receptive to new ideas.

I am happier on unemployment and glad I left

I worked at MCN Healthcare

Pros

paid time off
    casual environment
    pleasant co-workers
    free flu shot

Cons

nepotism
    gossip among management
    company does not respect their employees, except the ones they can treat like ----

Get an office manager who is not related to you and can do the job

MCN Healthcare Response

Oct 24, 2014VP

Thank you for your review; we are glad to hear you found your colleagues pleasant and appreciated the casual work environment. We believe we have top employees who are great co-workers and ... More

Positive and Glass-Half Full… A Great Company to Work For!

I have been working at MCN Healthcare

Pros

I’m a current employee and I believe in MCN Healthcare.

As a long term employee of MCN Healthcare for many years, I have found a great career and family in working for MCN. The company offers an opportunity to work in a team environment, welcomes new ideas, has many brainstorming sessions to encourage employee participation, and has a management staff that keeps others in the loop about the happenings within the company. Employee growth and advancement is encouraged by reimbursement for personal development through classes, books, seminars, etc. It’s an open-door environment where we share ideas and work on teams to meet the company goals together. There are great health, dental, 401K benefits and a very generous time off plan as well.

We all have choices. The majority of the employees I know, including myself, enjoy coming to work each day and being positive about the future of such an innovative company. For some of my past colleagues who have chosen to leave, good for them in making the choice to move on to something else that will hopefully make them happier, and let the rest of us continue where we are and doing our best to help this company with its continued future success.

There are several employees who have been with this company for more than a decade, and with a 24-year company history, we are looking forward to experiencing the next decade as a part of the MCN team too.

Cons

There are Cons with any job and/or company, but what gets us all through the tough times is keeping a positive attitude. There is a lot of opportunity to work with teams and ask for co-workers input, so whenever a challenge arises or there is change within the company, the Pros far outweigh the Cons at MCN.

One Con for MCN is the curent lack of a clearly defined vision for the company in the next 5 years. While the company has been around for 24 years, it would be nice to know the future goals we employees are working towards now.

Just keep the new communication flowing like it has been. It's important for the employees to know and be a part of what is going on at the company.

Unemployment is Better than This

I have been working at MCN Healthcare

Pros

They added a 401k like a year and a half ago. But other than that, none.

Cons

There a several people at this company who are related to each other. That breeds a sense of nepotism and covert feeling of "I am better than you are". Secondly, all of these people are in management so that makes it even worse. There are no laws against this but really, it should be an illegal practice. The amount of people that go in and out of MCN makes it looks like a revolving door. The owners of the company don't see this, but the solution is to break up the top of the pyramid. Unfortunately, I don't see that ever happening.

It says right on the MCN website that the people who started the company are from healthcare, not business. MCN is a business and is desperately lacking the managerial skills and business acumen needed for a software company. It's really sad because corruption at the top can't be solved with hire/fire at the bottom. MCN management will need to learn that to survive.

Don't Work Here

I worked at MCN Healthcare

Pros

Decent benefits, lots of paid time off, and you always are meeting new people due to the average six month turnover time of employees. The employees themselves all get along great (just not with management).

Cons

Employees are not respected as people and feedback is not appreciated. New ideas are not welcomed, the whole company is basically run by three people who don't listen to anyone else, even though they have a very talented employee team. Management is uneducated and doesn't make decisions in the best interest of their workers or their products. The company has a very selfish atmosphere and gossiping among the management team is popular. There are no company meetings and there are many secrets among upper management, so employees never quite know what is truly going on. Ethics are not highly valued, nor is telling the truth. Management has no leadership skills, they don't show any interest in the people working for them, and they love to blame anyone and everyone. There is no opportunity to succeed in your position, and there are no raises or rewards, even for hard work. All in all, this is a terrible place to work.

Begin by communicating with your employees on a weekly to monthly basis. Also, investing in the people who spend their time working for you would greatly improve company dynamic...a simple "thank you" would work wonders. Appreciate people for what they are gifted in and stop trying to run every aspect of the company yourself, USE the people that you hired for their talents!

The pits

I have been working at MCN Healthcare

Pros

The best thing about working here are the low expectations. Employees are not empowered to do their jobs, so there is little accountability at the end of the day.

Cons

The downside is being treated like a child. No one is spared this insult.

You do not know everything. If you did, you would be much more successful. Check the ego and learn something from your employees. They have experience in the market and can bring a new perspective which is desperately needed.

Career Suicide

I worked at MCN Healthcare

Pros

Offers good benefits including matched 401K, paid time off, and health insurance coverage for the employee (not spouse or children). The lack of accountability or shared goals lends itself to a low-stress environment.

Cons

Employees are micro-managed and not given the resources needed to excell at their job. The little direction there is changes without notice or good cause. Management is often exposed for being less-than-truthful or flat-out decietful, which creates a culture of distrust.

My advice is to spend the time creating a strategic plan for the company and then execute it. There has been stagnant growth for 22 years because the owners are not willing to invest in the right resources nor are they willing to empower their employees. Perhaps business school instead of nursing school would help?