MD Anderson Cancer Center Reviews

Reset
3.7
MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • I had virtually no work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• This company provides great benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much (in 7 reviews)

• Depending on your own work-ethic, work-life balance can be challenging due to the number of initiatives the institution embarks simultaneously (in 7 reviews)

1. Mammography Technologyst

Current Employee - Mammography Technologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mammography Technologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I like jobs of breast cancer for 10 years in Spain.

Cons

I from Spain and I learning speak English, this is my problem for made an exam by certification ARRT-M.

Advice to Management

I enjoy jobbing Mammography Technologyst of breast cancer.

Challenging work environment with limited growth

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging Multi cultural Good teamwork Great employee resources/training Excellent benefits (medical is free - dental/vision $40 roughly per month) Employee perks

Cons

Limited growth: many assistants train or perform senior or exclusive assistant roles with no salary/title change. Most coworkers haven't been promoted in over five years. High turn over. Hard to switch into a different field. Coworkers lack education (only one of two with college education) Coworkers tend to be a little more rough around the edges

3. MD Anderson

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

The people are great, the pay and benefits are great, and lots of opportunity for career growth.

Cons

The institution is trying to do more with less, people are overworked. There is no work life balance.

5. Professional Student Nurse Extern

Current Intern - PSNE in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - PSNE in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

MDACC is one of the best places to work, making Cancer History!

Cons

Awesome benefits, great people and patients, you make a difference every day!

Advice to Management

Unknown

Bureaucracy all the way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The company culture. -The beautiful buildings and amenities. -Some of the upper management staff. -Conveniency of having cafeterias and gyms in their buildings.

Cons

-Very low salary for those in research who are not MDs. -Parking --> expect to pay about $80 a month to park far, and have to take the shuttle to your work building. -In some departments the section leaders are BIG on micromanaging. -Low promotion/growth prospect; static routine.

Great work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent health benefits Competitive Pay Great people

Cons

In my department there was little opportunity to advance but this is changing and looks positive for the future,

8. Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center (More than 5 years)

Pros

World class institution with lots of opportunities for professional growth.

Cons

Very political amidst sweeping organizational change. It's a very large organization, so you could find yourself lost.

Advice to Management

From what I hear, it's more beareucratic than corporate America. Change takes a long time and the people are not willing to change.

9. Worthwhile mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission of "Making Cancer History" and the "Moon Shot" research projects are easy to get behind, but its the patients who are truly inspiring and who make it worth getting up and going to work every day.

Cons

Ivory tower leadership can be elitist and there are a lot of political wars that do nothing but slow the already-slow process of getting things done through the UT System. Also, negotiate the salary you want going in, because raises are miniscule along the way, also thanks to UT.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and focus on the mission, not politics.

Okay place to gain experience, moving up is difficult.

Current Employee - Research in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MD Anderson can be a great place to work. They do have one of the best benefit packages out of my entire work history compared to other healthcare institutions in the medical center, and in the long run those benefits can really be quite the advantage for their employees. They do have positions galore to TRY and move into or possibly be promoted to. Depending what department you work in; your work schedule can be flexible.

Cons

Although MD Anderson has many positions to move into, well good luck trying to land one. The positions posted in their internal employee site are either already reserved for someone else in that current department or you have to know someone really well to get into that position. Other than that, you'll spend months applying to positions with no call of an interview. The pay for the positions can also be better. Some of the requirements are quite out of this world for the pay. You have people with BS, Masters, and MD degrees only making mid 50's a year, yet the work load and expectencies can be very much stressful. Directors also need to get a hold of their Managers. Some Managers really don't need to be in that management position but the directors of the department tend to play the blind eye, sort of a out of sight out of mind thing. Directors tend to promise and assure people that things are going to get better and what not, yet months down the line it's the same negative situation reappearing with managers.

11. Social Worker Dream Job

Current Employee - Social Work Counselor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Social Work Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful management, great work-life balance, highly ethical, fun co-workers, reasonable expectations and workload, utilization of employees is appropriate, your skills are respected and utilized, you get to counsel and educated patients and families, you get free CEUs weekly, free insurance, free gym on a lower level, earlier hours are available to work if needed, free supervision towards LCSW, supportive supervisors, holidays off, paid on-call time, there is a lot of pride in where you are and what you do, patients are wonderful

Cons

I really have none. Blessed to be at such a wonderful place.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making this such a wonderful place to work. I look forward to coming to work every day!

RSS Feed </> Embed