MD Anderson Cancer Center

Updated October 18, 2014
3.7

MD Anderson Cancer Center President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • PAID PARKING IS THE WORST, OTHER FACILITIES PAY FOR PARKING FOR EMPLOYESS (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The Pro's and Con's of Being Big

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time

Pros

As each of us in one way or another who know or has known someone with cancer, we as employees are here because we do believe in our mission - to eliminate cancer. For non-patient care staff, the work / life balance provides a variety of options. Due to the size of MD Anderson, one can transfer into a different field without leaving the hospital.

Cons

On the reverse side of the 'size' coin, MD Anderson's growth has buildings and staff away from the patient care areas. Working in or near patient care areas, you are reminded as to the reason you work at MD Anderson.

Great experience at MD Anderson! Ambition can take you in so many paths here.

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many resources for all employee needs and support. Professional and friendly environment. Exclusive events for contributing to community(s)

Cons

Before & after work traffic, parking fees, the new evaluation system (2014)

Great Mission

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No matter what job you are doing at the institution, you realize the overall goal of hopefully curing cancer.

Cons

The work load has become rather difficult. The philosophy these days is do more with much less

Everything is great about this company.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, Benefits, leadership, coworker relationships, free trainings on everything.

Cons

Parking is expensive, pay could be more specially for med center being number 1 in everything.

It has been somewhat fulfilling

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are wonderful, office culture is overall culturally diverse which I enjoy because you learn so much from your employees. I like how big this place is because you run into the most wonderful co-workers and patients going through this hospital everyday.

Cons

Compensation is ok, but the 2% raise every year you hardly even see it, and the amount it cost to park each month in the parking garages are ridiculous. The slow ability to move up within a company this size is ridiculous, if you are looking to take a position to get your foot in the door I highly recommend you wait for the position you are wanting to move into because it is difficult to move around in this company.

Being employed with MD Anderson was amazing. Best job I've had.

Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, considering I do not have a degree. The benefits package was amazing. The perks you receive as a employee. The mission of MD Anderson is phenomenal.

Cons

The medical center is horrible! The streets and traffic are bad! Working with employees who have degrees tend to look down on employees without degrees. Some are snooty and stuck up. Some managers do not know how to manage an office. The department I was employed with there was some favoritism of other employees which in my opinion was unprofessional.

Clinical fellow

I have been working at MD Anderson Cancer Center

Pros

We'll known hospital. Great work

Cons

Saturated. No personal growth and training is ok

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Instructor Research Faculty Appointment in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor Research Faculty Appointment in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good place to work if supervisor is good

Cons

bureaucracy, Very large place, Upper management style of functioning

Follow up to a previous post by former faculty member

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a privilege taking care of patients at MD Anderson. Some of my faculty colleagues were truly interested in providing exceptional patient care. A significant percentage, however, seemed more interested in recruiting patients for clinical trials funded by the pharmaceutical industry and padding their CV's with committee work in order to obtain promotions.

Cons

An inordinate amount of red tape exists at this institution. It takes way too long to get a new idea accomplished. By the time a new idea has been presented at the multiple committee meetings deemed necessary for its implementation, the new idea is old. Since leaving MD Anderson, I have heard multiple complaints from many patients regarding their care there.

Be more involved with direct patient care in order to truly understand the current changes in our country's health care system.

MD Anderson is not what it used to be....

I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MD Anderson has some amazing employees. There are truly wonderful scientists, nurses and staff that give there all to the patients. However, these same people are overworked, under appreciated and subjected to hostile work environments.
    The pay is more than most institutions, but you also work more hours and often on the weekends. I had virtually no work/life balance.

Cons

MD Anderson is now just a business with a goal to make the most money possible. Patient care is secondary to the almighty dollar. Many department heads and senior management have no management skills. A hostile work environment could not even begin to describe what I was subjected to. Our department head's way of managing her staff was more than just unprofessional it was abusive. Many faculty at MD Anderson have left the institution already or are in the process of leaving.

MD Anderson Cancer Center Photos