MD Anderson

www.mdanderson.org

MD Anderson Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor(in 5 reviews)

It is an excellent place to work on cancer research.

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExposure, Infrastructure, Intellectual mass, Resources, excellent work atmosphere.

ConsWork pressure, Missing teaching opportunities like academic universities.

'Best Cancer Hospital', totally justified

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBest Cancer hospital in the world with best opportunities one can thrive for.

ConsVery competitive to get in.

amazing place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosincredible access to patient volume and diverse array of resources in terms of translational science collaborators. Good support administratively Gym in the Pickens Tower is an amazing benefit

ConsState mentality makes it difficult sometimes to get things done
    too many layers of bureaucrats managing those of us who actually produce

Advice to Senior ManagementDiminish layers of bureaucracy
    Promote physicians as decision makers, not MBAs
    Realize that our fundamental strength is in clinical care and then leverage that through innovative collaborations with scientists; not the other way around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ranked number one in the USA and among top 50 best places to train for PhD candidates

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTeaching, Resources, Mentorship, Grants, Conferences, Seminars, Group Meetings, Hands on training, opportunities to develop new skills

ConsNIH payscale and no compensation for cost of living

Advice to Senior ManagementMatch payscale for post docs to meet national average

great..move work on parking

Programmer Analyst II (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood employee health benefit, great reputation that will look good on your resume, good security team makes you feel right at home

Consmanagement needs to pay more attention to their employees, we have a life and we wanna help but dont take all that for granted!!

Advice to Senior ManagementAttend more management course to improve on your skills

an excellent environment to get training in cancer research

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt is the best environment to do preclinical and clinical research

ConsIt is a bit difficult to meet mentors

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBest cancer center in America. Forward thinking, progressive organization doing cutting edge research. Many oppurtunities for progress and growth. well run.

ConsIt is a competitive place. The research carried out is cutting edge that requires hard work and dedication. If you love doing biological research it is a good place.

Good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe atmosphere in the system is that of a team where everyone can work in a collaborative fashion without much, if any, struggle.

ConsThe only downsides to the hospital would relate to it's large size, so getting around on foot takes effort, but if you know your way and use the shuttles, getting here and there is simple.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the number one cancer hospital in the country, M. D. Anderson employs some of the best cancer experts and professionals.

World class research institute

Instructor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExcellent reputation in cancer research, very good environment and resources and facilities. Clinical cancer research is very strong.

ConsWhile the external funding is hard to get, there are not a lot of grant supports to promote junior faculties.

Great place to work!

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits, including tuition reimbursement and a nice gym on campus to work out in. MD Anderson also has a great mentoring program for developing your professional goals and making connections with employees in other departments.

ConsThe starting salary is relatively low for some positions. Also, MD Anderson is highly bureaucratic so it takes a long for something to be approved.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!