MD Anderson

www.mdanderson.org

MD Anderson Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor(in 5 reviews)

Good place to do cancer research

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood environment to work in research. Opportunity to collaborate with many experts in different areas. Excellent facilities. actually too many buildings!

ConsNo interaction with other staff out of your field. Limited opportunity for growing outside of your field. Staff working with grants management make your work more difficult.

I enjoy working for the company

Research Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are great opportunities and support for career advancement depending on the area that you are in. The quest for knowledge is appreciated here and majority of the people who work here really love what they do.

ConsThis hospital houses a lot of highly skilled and highly educated professionals, so it can be difficult to obtain optimal job. So many apply and so many are qualified. Since this is a larger hospital, the work load is a lot more than some other institutions who may pay virtually the same salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to support employee development and work/life balance.

satisfying with a very work friendly environment which is very conducive to learning new techniques

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros1) good work environment
    2) good mentoring and very accomplished faculty
    3) good growth in terms of learning curve

ConsInternship opportunities are not encouraged for PhD students who are not interested in academia. Also, overall the training provided is solely to train students to become postdocs or enter academia and not really for other career options

Advice to Senior Managementallow internship opprtunities for students wanting to enter the industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Data Coordinator

Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsJob security, great benefits, room for gradual growth

Conslow salary, horrible co-workers, bad food

Advice to Senior Managementhigher better people

Amazing from the outside, insane from the inside.

Research Assistant I (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDoctors are all top notch, top of their field professionals.
    Benefits are great.
    Interaction with cancer patients (if in job description) can be a life changer.

ConsWith such top notch doctors, comes almost impossible demands.
    Excellent leadership in clinics and as managers is absolutely critical. In areas where there is subpar management, everyone really suffers.
    Not as quick promotion potential - everything takes a serious amount of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just look at paper qualifications for managing positions. There is lots of talent at this place, though due to its massive size, it's hard to keep track of everyone's performance. A better system needs to be made for employee growth when constantly meeting or exceeding expectations. And harsher punishments need to be made for those that do not perform.

It was mix of good and bad

Research Assistant II (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI could work on hi-fi research at a faster pace. Work on several projects at the same time. The first year was very good.

ConsDespite MD Anderson being the best place to work, My professor was showed no encouragement and appreciation for the efforts. Also the friday group meetings are a nightmare. There was also personal bias and racial discrimination involved. Your job satisfaction fell so bad lots of times - I believe this totally depends on who your mentor is.
    However, MD anderson as a whole is the best place to be employed

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor the Professor and his/her interaction with lab research people more closely.

A dream place for cancer researchers

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsState-of-art facilities, exceptional patient care, very collaborative environment. People here are very nice and helpful. Great culture and diversity, good benefit. IT support here is wonderful. A lot of great researchers are here and many more are invited here for talk. There are many workshops and training opportunities for trainee.

ConsMany rules here are stubborn and very complicated. Paper work is quite tedious and takes very long time to process. Sometimes you have to push really hard to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify certain procedure like equipment purchase.

Underpaid but Exciting

Research Assistant I (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere is a lot of exciting things going on at MD Anderson. I liked the fact that I was permitted to go attend one of the many lectures and seminars that are going on a daily basis by the center's experts and guest speakers. I would have loved to keep doing it, but it is hard to make it. I left the job to go to pharmacy school.

ConsSome of the bosses use you for cheap labor and don't teach you anything along the way. Try to get into a laboratory where there's a graduate student that is willing to show you some things. Some of the work can be pretty repetitive. But if you show initiative, your boss or mentor will probably allow you to run a couple projects of your own. Also, it takes awhile to advance in the company, and the pay is not always good. As a research assistant, you could eventually work your way up to lab manager, but now days it seems that they are looking more and more for MBAs and PhDs to run the lab.

Great place to work with a vast amount of resources

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe facilities were far above average. The caliber of your peers and active research programs were highly regarded. A lot of effort was made to encourage collaboration.

ConsCompensation was below average. Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor. Large size of institution makes travel times to different areas long.

As a Radiation Therapist M D Anderson gives you an opportunity to learn a vast number of treatment modalities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAs an entry level graduatuate you are exposed to a large variety of treatment modalities with the opportunity for advancement.
    There is a well structured professional development model.
    Benefits and salaries are solid.
    MD Anderson's name and reputation facilitates career opportunities
    They offer tuition reimbursement.
    Lots of personal growth opportunity through various supplementary programs

ConsOnce you have reached the expert level as a therapist it is difficult to advance within the organization.
    The work environment is somewhat political.
    Parking is expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer career coaching opportunites for individuals who would like to advance or move into different leadership roles within the organization

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!