MD Anderson

MD Anderson Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho

Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much(in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor(in 5 reviews)

Excellent Organization

Instructor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat Management Structure, training and professional development

ConsExcellent company, no problems

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

great for those looking to progress in there career

Staff RN (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosthey will pay for training

Consa lot of there work is still done on paper

Advice to Senior Managementpush the higher ups to update thing like the kronos clock and paper charting

MD Anderson has a friendly environment full of leaders that support their employees 100%

ProsBenefits: Pension, great retirement plans, free medical insurance, school reimbursement, and a set amount of money to use in order to join organizations or go to conferences

Conspatient population can be tolling

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been a learning experience.

Research Data Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou get to help people through the some of the hardest times in their life and that is a great feeling. You are exposed to some of the greatest minds in medicine and research. If you pay attention, you can learn a lot about the medical field and how it all works and is run. You are also exposed to different cultures through the people that you work with and the patients that you meet.

ConsThe politics are horrible and there is a strong hesitancy towards change. There are standards rules and regulations but everything is subject to managements discretion in the end. Sometimes that can help but for the most part, I've seen several people treated unfairly because of it. HR is not very helpful. Unless you are in a position that is on the medical side (nurse, mid-level provider, doctor etc.) there really isn't room for growth. Promotion/growth is not based on what qualifications you have but who you really know that gets you places. Salaries aren't that great either. Most people are under paid for the work that they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the work our employees do. Try to implement incentive programs and actively promote your stronger employees. This will not motivate others do work harder and better, but it will improve the over all quality of the departments and hospital as a whole.

Challenging, inspiring work

Communications Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsColleagues are topnotch and for the most part, generous and helpful. The institution's mission is clear, and every employee is made to feel that their contribution is important. Benefits and compensation are good. There was a strong sense of camaraderie on my team.

ConsResources for training and development were sometimes hard to come by in my (non-patient facing) department.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage all departments/divisions to invest in training and development of their staff. It will reenergize employees who've been asked for years to do more with less.

Very positive for a young scientist.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent, warm, inspiring environment. Researchers were very accessible. I was there when Ron Depinho became president and he seems to have a great vision for the hospital.

ConsIt was a research appointment, so some weekends were spent at work, though that's pretty standard. No other real significant cons if you want to work in research.

Great place for I/T workers

Principal Applications Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSalaries are very competitive, work environment is great

ConsVery little in bonus compensation

Advice to Senior ManagementClear, concise policies, procedures and direction

I was unlucky, no where to turn to

Research Assistant I (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood benefits, nice environment,

ConsI worked with lying, cheating, scum lab-partners. They lied and lied about me to the PI. I asked the department manager and my PI for an independent reviewer of my performance. Both denied me! my lab partners keps on lying about my performance and then the PI fired me. Their was no one to turn to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE allow independent reviewers.

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood health benefit and retirement plan.

ConsIf you are in a support role, administration will support faculty over you 9 times out of 10. Different sets of rules for different employees. "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude with most management.

Unique. Cancer research and patient care focusing on all aspects of disease.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsVast amount of resources both in terms of people and infrastructure.

ConsBureaucracy. Very long process for everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it academic and don't turn it into a corporate entity.

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!