MD Anderson Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2013's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.3

MD Anderson President Ronald A. DePinho
Ronald A. DePinho

Pros
  • Work efforts are not challenging so its easy to maintain a work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance, great benefits, opportunity to work with people who come different backgrounds (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to pay for parking and in my opinion it was too much (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to do cancer research

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good environment to work in research. Opportunity to collaborate with many experts in different areas. Excellent facilities. actually too many buildings!

Cons

No interaction with other staff out of your field. Limited opportunity for growing outside of your field. Staff working with grants management make your work more difficult.

I enjoy working for the company

Current Employee - Research Coordinator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are great opportunities and support for career advancement depending on the area that you are in. The quest for knowledge is appreciated here and majority of the people who work here really love what they do.

Cons

This hospital houses a lot of highly skilled and highly educated professionals, so it can be difficult to obtain optimal job. So many apply and so many are qualified. Since this is a larger hospital, the work load is a lot more than some other institutions who may pay virtually the same salaries.

Continue to support employee development and work/life balance.

satisfying with a very work friendly environment which is very conducive to learning new techniques

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) good work environment
    2) good mentoring and very accomplished faculty
    3) good growth in terms of learning curve

Cons

Internship opportunities are not encouraged for PhD students who are not interested in academia. Also, overall the training provided is solely to train students to become postdocs or enter academia and not really for other career options

allow internship opprtunities for students wanting to enter the industry

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Data Coordinator

Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Data Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson full-time for more than a year

Pros

Job security, great benefits, room for gradual growth

Cons

low salary, horrible co-workers, bad food

higher better people

Amazing from the outside, insane from the inside.

Former Employee - Research Assistant I  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Doctors are all top notch, top of their field professionals.
    Benefits are great.
    Interaction with cancer patients (if in job description) can be a life changer.

Cons

With such top notch doctors, comes almost impossible demands.
    Excellent leadership in clinics and as managers is absolutely critical. In areas where there is subpar management, everyone really suffers.
    Not as quick promotion potential - everything takes a serious amount of time.

Don't just look at paper qualifications for managing positions. There is lots of talent at this place, though due to its massive size, it's hard to keep track of everyone's performance. A better system needs to be made for employee growth when constantly meeting or exceeding expectations. And harsher punishments need to be made for those that do not perform.

It was mix of good and bad

Current Employee - Research Assistant II  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson full-time for more than a year

Pros

I could work on hi-fi research at a faster pace. Work on several projects at the same time. The first year was very good.

Cons

Despite MD Anderson being the best place to work, My professor was showed no encouragement and appreciation for the efforts. Also the friday group meetings are a nightmare. There was also personal bias and racial discrimination involved. Your job satisfaction fell so bad lots of times - I believe this totally depends on who your mentor is.
    However, MD anderson as a whole is the best place to be employed

Monitor the Professor and his/her interaction with lab research people more closely.

A dream place for cancer researchers

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at MD Anderson part-time for more than a year

Pros

State-of-art facilities, exceptional patient care, very collaborative environment. People here are very nice and helpful. Great culture and diversity, good benefit. IT support here is wonderful. A lot of great researchers are here and many more are invited here for talk. There are many workshops and training opportunities for trainee.

Cons

Many rules here are stubborn and very complicated. Paper work is quite tedious and takes very long time to process. Sometimes you have to push really hard to get things done.

Simplify certain procedure like equipment purchase.

Underpaid but Exciting

Former Employee - Research Assistant I  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of exciting things going on at MD Anderson. I liked the fact that I was permitted to go attend one of the many lectures and seminars that are going on a daily basis by the center's experts and guest speakers. I would have loved to keep doing it, but it is hard to make it. I left the job to go to pharmacy school.

Cons

Some of the bosses use you for cheap labor and don't teach you anything along the way. Try to get into a laboratory where there's a graduate student that is willing to show you some things. Some of the work can be pretty repetitive. But if you show initiative, your boss or mentor will probably allow you to run a couple projects of your own. Also, it takes awhile to advance in the company, and the pay is not always good. As a research assistant, you could eventually work your way up to lab manager, but now days it seems that they are looking more and more for MBAs and PhDs to run the lab.

Great place to work with a vast amount of resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at MD Anderson

Pros

The facilities were far above average. The caliber of your peers and active research programs were highly regarded. A lot of effort was made to encourage collaboration.

Cons

Compensation was below average. Work-life balance was not a priority of my direct supervisor. Large size of institution makes travel times to different areas long.

As a Radiation Therapist M D Anderson gives you an opportunity to learn a vast number of treatment modalities.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MD Anderson

Pros

As an entry level graduatuate you are exposed to a large variety of treatment modalities with the opportunity for advancement.
    There is a well structured professional development model.
    Benefits and salaries are solid.
    MD Anderson's name and reputation facilitates career opportunities
    They offer tuition reimbursement.
    Lots of personal growth opportunity through various supplementary programs

Cons

Once you have reached the expert level as a therapist it is difficult to advance within the organization.
    The work environment is somewhat political.
    Parking is expensive.

Offer career coaching opportunites for individuals who would like to advance or move into different leadership roles within the organization

Worked for MD Anderson? Contribute to the Community!