MD Physician Services

MD Physician Services Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

MD Physician Services President & CEO Brian Peters

Brian Peters

Excellent Experience Thus Far!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros- incredible work/life balance
    - ability to telework
    - excellent compensation and benefits package
    - inspired leadership

Cons- none noted to date!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.....!

Amazing Employee Value Proposition!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Pros- work/life integration - flexibility and ability to work my way (from home or from the office) and the technology to facilitate collaboration with my peers
    - professional & personal development - As a learning organization, MD gives me the ability to control my own personal and professional development budget
    - unique culture - ideas and collaboration with my colleagues are encouraged, efforts and accomplishments are recognized by my peers and leaders.
    - Great benefits/pension plan!
    - Access to various training programs and materials including a coaching and mentoring program
    - daily inspiration from my peers who drive me to improve and succeed.

Cons- Can't think of anything...seriously!

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for creating an amazing place to work, for pushing your employees to reach new heights, and for giving us the tools and inspiration we need to get there!

Good people, questionable leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, flexible work arrangements, the people.

ConsSalaries are below market, very limited external training budget, leadership oversells the culture and opportunities for advancement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork life balance,personal growth, working environment

Consi dont have anything in mind

Lack of leadership, Poor Morale, No Future Vision,

Senior Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsExcellent Benefits plan. However, just recently increased the pension retirement age by another year. Great number of weeks vacation. Start at 3 weeks for newbies. 4 weeks at year 5.

ConsLeadership lacks vision. Brian Peters, CEO is a person who focuses more of profitability than on people. Management team are appointed to individuals who are a yes person. Cannot be critical of the company otherwise face consequences. Management always want open forums and critiques of them, but it's a career limiting move when employees voice concerns.

Company is focused on pushing own products and in-house investments to doctors. Culture of the company is completely 180 degree since new ceo and his appointees joined firm. I agree with other previous comments about the negativity and worrisome of job losses. Firm has cut nearly 300 employees in the last 5 years, either forcing early retirement, or severance packages.

They say physicians first, but in reality, employees come last to the detriment of the physician experiences. Turnover of financial consultants is relatively high.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's the people that make the difference and culture. What was a great culture. Listen and read the internal information on the employee engagement surveys.

Company needs new leadership and clear vision

Financial Consultant (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros- great health benefits and dental coverage
    - holidays
    - some great people
    - some employee recognition

Cons- no idea where management is striving towards.
    - first, was always focused on electronic medical records and bundling md products and services along with emr together... but was a cash pit with progamming issues, and and eventually sold to Telus Health last year. some of the great long-term employees in that division were all now Telus employees. who knows how much ceo got paid out on the transaction.
    - hired change management vice president a while back... executed a lot of drastic shake-ups, Ex. job cuts, department changes, new people appointed as management but have no experience in field. change management vice pres got canned himself a year later.
    - put in a new software system for md advisors to use, but has continuing problems since implentation a few years ago. most recently, rate of returns on portfolios cannot be accurately calculated.
    - most managers at this company are VP's, executive VPs, Department VPs, AVPs, etc. the company is top heavy on management and everyone seems to be a vice-president of something. just look at linedin profiles and you will see for yourself. considering it's suppose to be a small company, lots of managers. it's the little people at the company that bring in the revenue and sales, and relationship with clients.
    - past number of years, some great people are no longer with the company. company had a passionate culture all about employees, but that has diminished.
    - company has been wasteful on trying to fix problems or issues. they are always on the defensive, and never on the offensive. previous comments here are clients yelling at call center employees. common because of frustation by clients about various issues - hence having problem resolution teams to solve problems and identify issues.
    - company has seen share of wallet starting to diminish vs. competitors. as a result, company is spending money on advertisements on globe and mails website and taking out huge advertisements in news papers. this is a waste since md can only cater to medical doctors. all doctors see regular advertisements in medical association journals, etc. this goes to show md is facing a lot of challenges and becoming desperate for new business.
    - if you are person that brown noses to management, you move up in company.

Advice to Senior Managementopen your eyes and see that competition is taking more of the pie away. consider re-focusing on energy and resources on making employees in the company feel more valued. show more care to employees and not that we are just a number.

Highly political environment

Manager (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGenerous pension
    All stat and other holidays

ConsVery political environment
    CEO changes vision and execs on a whim
    VPs spend their time keeping their jobs rather than doing them
    Horrible marketing support with no results at all
    New doctors/clients not signing up so business is slowly dying

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the market
    Get people who know the clients and not people who give you platitudes.
    Actually deliver something rather than just thinking about it

Work at MD for more than 5 years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsIt use to have a culture.

ConsPoor Management. Had a flaw in their corporate software and found out the software wasn't supported anymore. Couldn't find a CIO who knew how to fix the problem so they hired a outside company to come in and fix their problems. Basically turning the company into a mess and destroyed whatever culture was left. Most of the people at this time turned on one another and well you can image what it would be like to work for a place like that.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind new management.

Physicians First, Employees Last...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsExcellent comprehensive benefits package and first rate pension plan through the CMA

ConsA current corporate culture (almost cliquish in nature, very siloed) that feels devoid of tangible/genuine value (in spite of attempts by the company to drive/market their messaging to employees and physicians). MD used to have a strongly defined positive corporate culture but has become diluted and lost focus in recent years. In my experience, almost zero opportunity for promotion from within as many roles are either dead ends and/or not challenging and don't allow for transferable skill building (not to mention, corporate preference appeared to lean towards hiring from outside first instead of building internal bench strength from within, was not uncommon to see employees stay in the same role for years on end). For several years employees at MD lived under constant threat of downsizing and numerous rounds of layoffs, the result being morale on the ground suffering greatly as a result of a revolving door system of employees/managers/executives coming and going (disruptive and a major distraction to daily work). Some departments appeared to be overstaffed and others were perpetually understaffed which led to poor delivery of the client experience and severe work-life imbalance for those team members affected.

In addition, the organization as a whole is cripplingly bureaucratic, slow to act and opaque with regards to employees trying to get information internally about roles, salary ranges, career paths, etc. Many assignments turned out to be simply valueless make-work projects in recent years and it was traditionally an uphill battle to advocate on behalf of clients in order to provide them with the assistance they needed specific to their issue or concern. Essentially I saw many good people try hard to do their best work and the organization itself tended to be the roadblock towards positive employee morale, pursuit of career aspirations, providing quality client service and truly putting physicians first.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on creating transparency and facility for employees to try different roles and broaden their experiences, less focus on trendy notions such as "social networking" - this is not a replacement for old-school face-to-face quarterly staff meetings for Head Office staff (more visibility of the ELT to connect with employees in the trenches...) Make it easier for employees to do great value-added work on behalf of the physicians and inject the culture with the notion that EVERYONE from the CEO down to the Janitor is in a “Client-Facing” role. Too often employees and managers appeared to shy away from engaging with clients and their complex concerns because their role/job description wasn’t described as client-facing which then resulted in an underwhelming client experience - challenge everyone in the company to think to themselves "how can I best advocate on behalf of this client?" in order to win the trust of both your employees and the physician clients not to mention provide a truly exceptional client experience for all.

A company with a strong belief system

ProsThe customer truly comes first. It's not just about revenue and the bottom line. People are free to do the best for the client. Strong leadership and the CEO is on e of the best. He's very open and actively works to engage everyone. Small company where you are more than a number. New focus on learning will be great for all employees to develop and thrive at MD.

ConsLeadership varies from department to department. Some are great cultures, others are good at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on aligning leaders and building common culture.

Worked for MD Physician Services? Contribute to the Community!