MD Physician Services

Updated November 10, 2014
4.3

MD Physician Services President & CEO Brian Peters
Brian Peters

Best choice I've ever made!

I have been working at MD Physician Services (more than 5 years)

Pros

respectful workplace where everyone is willing to help each other to achieve our corporate goals, while maintaining work-life balance. An organization that truly cares about their employees, investing in both their personal and professional development. Total compensation is competitive and performance is rewarded. Able to participate in projects outside of current role to gain more experience.

Cons

hard to find any... there is a lot of change (for the betterment of the business) and if you are not able to adapt you may find it difficult!

Great opportunity for growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MD Physician Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

This is a growing company that is moving in the right direction. I'm proud to work for a company that places such high importance on corporate integrity.

The ability to work from home is also a huge plus! It's a great setup that adds so much balance to your life if you manage your time well!

Cons

It's a big organization and sometimes things don't happen as quickly as you would also like. That being said, there are good reasons for the controls that are in place, as we're always striving to better serve our clients.

Engaging place to work that cares strongly for its clients and employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been at MD for several years and I've seen the company shift from a place that was overly safe, complacent and lacking consistent direction, to one with a clear & focused vision, strong leadership, and highly engaged employees. Pros include: Flex working - new technology & mechanisms in place to support flex working; modern and energizing head office building (rebuilt after a building fire); great people that foster a culture of teamwork and excellence; an emphasis on employee growth & development (employees have their own budgets for personal & professional development); 35-hour work week, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive benefits and competitive salaries; no archaic hierarchies like other financial institutions (the CEO works at the same workstations as everyone else and he is happy to chat in the hall); there are no shareholders so profit is invested back in the business (in support of employees, technology, etc).

Cons

Leadership has been reluctant to add extra resources (new headcount) in case the markets go down again. This has resulted in having to "do more with less", meaning people are somewhat stretched. Happy to hear that we are adding more headcount next year...

A great place to work where you can learn and grow amongst dedicated, passionate people!

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with MD for 5 years and have worked in 3 roles in that time, this is a testament to the companies commitment to learning and growth. People are valued and respected and the company structure and leadership culture support people professionally and personally. I love working for a company where people are genuinely passionate about what they do, even our CEO Brian Peters is truly unique. It's not often you meet a CEO who takes the time to get to know people individually, listen to everyone who has something to say and who truly believes that the company's success starts with creating the right conditions for people to be successful and the rest will follow. I stumbled onto MD without realizing what a gem I'd found and now I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Cons

This company is really well balanced and there's nothing I can say to the contrary. I'm happy with all aspects of this organization from salary and benefits to learning opportunities, climate and the quality of leadership.

Keep up the good work, we've never been more focused and driven and I trust that with our leadership at the helm we'll achieve our objectives in delivering excellent service and advice to Canadian physicians and their families!

A place to grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Truly dedicated on helping your expand your knowledge and skills. Since I started, I've been given lots of opportunity to work on cross-functional teams and expand my knowledgebase. Great benefits and fantastic people. They offer personal and professional development funds, mentoring, coaching for all employees and internal programs. Ability to work at home (flex) for most roles. A place where you are more than just an employee. They care about you and your career. Overwhelming focus on our clients - physicians. Fantastic culture. They are truly trying to build something unique here. This isn't a place for someone looking for a "free ride" but is great for someone looking to grow and truly make a difference.

Cons

Can focus on too much at once.

Keep doing what you do!

MD is a gem!

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible work arrangements, great management team, enriching work

Cons

I don't have much to add on cons

Great benefits, work/life balance and opportunity for growth/development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the flexible and current nature of MD in terms of what it can and does offer employees. The benefits offerings are great and much appreciated. Having a budget for both personal and professional development shows me that the company cares about my whole person, and it really is a place that cares about employees AND clients.

Cons

I don't really have anything to say in this regard. The time off and work life balance options are great - they even provide a program that allows us to purchase more vacation time if we feel we need it!

Continue to do what you are doing - listening to employees and providing opportunities.

My MD is life long learning and career growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MD has a unique and awesome culture that you won't find anywhere else. The company cares about each employee as a whole person. They encourage development from a career development perspective as well as from a personal perspective, allocating a personal budget to each employee for both pursuits. They understand that to be a happy employee, you need to be able to have a great work life balance and grow on both fronts (professional and personal). I'm enjoying my first art class as well as other professional training, all courtesy MD.

You also won't find a better group of colleagues to work with. People care about each other and teaming isn't just a buzz word. People work together to ensure the success of their teams and the company as a whole. Thanks to our awesome Leadership, who have clearly set a compelling vision for the future, we all work towards the same common goal of providing excellent service to our physician clients across Canada.

I have been with MD for almost 20 years now, and it just gets better and better all the time. I am someone who loves to continually learn new things and experience new challenges. MD has continually provided me with the opportunities to learn, grow professionally, discover new areas of the business and constantly challenge myself to new heights. There has never been a dull moment. MD has provided me with the environment, colleagues, leadership and culture to keep things fresh, new, innovative and exciting over the years, and things just keep getting better!

We have awesome benefits, compensation, culture, leadership...I can't say enough great things about this company!

Cons

I honestly have nothing negative to say.

Our Leadership, led by Brian Peters, is doing an amazing job of continually moving the company forward and keeping ahead of our competitors, while maintaining the great culture that we have.

Would never want to work anywhere else!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Everyone is focused on what matters most - our clients.
    -Strong and visible senior leadership that has a clear direction for the organization.
    -A culture of service excellence, teamwork and accountability that is embedded and demonstrated in every part of the organization.
    -People leaders who genuinely care of their team members and work closely with them to help develop and grow them.
    -Professional development budget assigned to each individual so all employees can be their very best.
    -A flexible work environment that allows the full integration of work and home - so you never have to pit one against the other.
    -Compensation that is consistent with the marketplace.

Cons

The organization is very driven and as such there are a lot of projects competing for attention and for the same subject matter expertise.

I've Found the Career and Company I've Been Searching For!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MD Physician Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Support and funding to take innovative ideas from inception through to execution
    Exceptional teamwork
    Personal develop is not only encouraged, it's expected!
    Flexible work environment
    Leading-edge benefits
    People are firmly committed to the mission of the company and truly take pride in making a difference in the lives of Canada's physician population - you can't help but be inspired.

Cons

The only con, and this is really splitting hairs, is the challenge of working in a flex environment as a new employee. It takes a great deal more effort to get to know your team and your internal clients. Again, a very minimal con in the overall scheme of things.

Keep on doing what you are doing - you are leading by example. Your enthusiasm and commitment to excellence are infectious.

MD Physician Services Photos

Creative Cooking at Ottawa’s Urban Element during MD’s Manager Regional Administration Conference 2012
At the 2011 Canadian Medical Foundation (CMF) golf tourney, we raised more than $267,000 to support the CMF
Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson and CTV’s Graham Richardson ham it up with members of our Client Delivery, Risk Management and Procurement Team.

+ Add Photo