MDC Holdings Reviews

2.4
MDC Holdings Chairman and CEO Larry A. Mizel
Larry A. Mizel

1. Account Executive

Pros

I loved the products and the managers I worked for there. They were clear on what was expected and left me to get it done unless I needed assistance. I appreciated that they would listen to my suggestions and let me do my job my way.

Cons

Changing territories and occasional personality conflicts can create stress.

2. Business Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at MDC Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live in the dtc the location is perfect. There is a gym in the next building over. The small company culture is great if you enjoy knowing most of the people you work with.

Cons

My specific team worked very well together however other departments experienced challenges that made it difficult to work across teams at times

Advice to Management

If MDC wants to create a real legacy and an environment where people want to work they would invest in leadership who could visualize a better company, not just a better bottom line.

3. Not so much

Former Employee - Home Care Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Home Care Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at MDC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like belittled by customers and management this job is for you.

Cons

All of it. Out of control!!

Advice to Management

Get everyone on the same page.

5. Good business, but volatile job security

Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at MDC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When they value you, you know it. They spend effort in keeping you informed on how you fit in to the overall picture. They make no bones about they are in the business of selling houses so you need to constantly present yourself in a way that tells them how you help them achieve that goal.

Cons

Your job security is closely related to how the housing market fairs. Unexpected downturns in the market leads to layoffs very quickly. Just to prove my point a very telling description of the CEO's behavior to a person who had been working there less than a year. "Don't worry, he waits one year before he eats his young." They are not effective in addressing coworker atmosphere problems. I watched for a year as an employee with a known acerbic personality reek havoc on his fellow employees and nothing was done to address the problem. Instead they put him in a more visible position so more people could be affected by it.

Advice to Management

Forcing people to dress in business attire all the time does not mean your office culture is professional.

6. Good People, Company Challenged by Economy

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at MDC Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with at MDC. When times are good in the home building economy times are great at MDC. There is a sincere desire to grow and perform at the top of the list of home builders in the country. Original leadership still in place who built the company from the ground up.

Cons

As in many cases, miscalculation and risks in a challenging industry can leave many people without a job. This company seems to find value in it's strategic investments rather than it's people. Compensation is extremely low.

Advice to Management

Two pieces of advice: first to the executives, seek out wisdom and advice from the leaders in your company. The difference between where you are and where you want to be may be limited by your desire to micro-manage your company. Second, find value in your people before you invest in risky indevours.

7. Awesome people to work with

I have been working at MDC Holdings full-time

Pros

Proven sustainability through rough times in the last few years.

Cons

Opportunities are limited unless you are in the right business unit.

Advice to Management

Encourage professional development and competitive salaries for all areas for better retention.

8. Great

Current Employee - Attorney in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Attorney in Denver, CO

I have been working at MDC Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people and great work environment except during downsizing

Cons

Real estate market crumbling and many people lost their jobs

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of the vulnerable, older workers or those who can't easily find other work

9. Any port in a storm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Still employed during hard times.

Cons

Cutting edge management philosophy....for 1890. Classic management 101 mistake; give an employee responsibility with no authority.

Advice to Management

If you don't want your people to make decisions and take ownership of their responsibilities, then don't hire qualified professionals. It leads to dissatisfaction and low morale.

10. Short and not to sweet

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Great people to work with from mid-level management down.

Cons

Exec leadership is a one way street. Right or wrong. Many sr. mgrs are placed in the wrong position. Culture and moral is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people and the business will improve. Take away good people and you will continue to struggle.

11. Challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

The company is well positioned to move forward with any improvement in the current home building economic climate. They are conservative in their leadership style and will be in business a long time with their strategies.

Cons

The benefits continue to shrink each year as with most companies. Over the past few years, RIFS and voluntary resignations have resulted in a significant loss of talent.

Advice to Management

Find the balance between stock holder expectations and employee satisfaction. Sometimes cutting compensation and benefits cost more in the long run when real talent (aka productivity) walk out the door.

RSS Feed </> Embed