MECLABS Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

Flint McGlaughlin

Refreshing! Unlike Any Other!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at MECLABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

MECLABS is a place that has it's faults and "growing pains". But overall it is the most pleasant place to call home, as many of us spend long hours behind these doors and consider each other family!

Though I have only worked with MECLABS for a short time now, I am amazed and constantly reminded of how good I have it because the culture is unlike any other. After working in other corporate environments, I know that the experience and valuable opportunities I have now would be unmatched by other companies in Jacksonville.

If you want to enjoy a culture that thinks outside of the box and has a little fun, MECLABS is your place. We've got a ping pong table, daily weather reports from our in-house meteorologist, only miles away from Jacksonville Beach, weekly brainstorming sessions, employee training, guest speakers, and more.

Cons

Irregular working hours based upon work load varying from week to week. Parking and facility space issues.

Consider a Leadership Development Program and strategies to promote with more certainty. More education for employees on work/life balance to improve their job satisfaction.

Nothing else like it.

I have been working at MECLABS

Pros

Incredibly laid back atmosphere and (for the most part), no micro management. Being able to do work for major corporations.

Cons

Management can be completely oblivious to industry standards.

Be sure to learn expected salaries for the positions you're hiring for BEFORE you start the hiring process.

Owner has a God complex

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at MECLABS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Laid back work atmosphere with a lot of bright people as coworkers.

Cons

The owner manages the business by praying for signs from God. They are doing better now, but for many years he had no idea where the company's money was going. They hired tons of people they couldn't afford, then had to axe them all. He used to refer to himself as "Doctor Flint McGlaughlin" - even though he has NO PhD. His doctorate is an honorary degree that he received from some foreign seminary. He frequently wants you to build business plans for initiatives that have no funding and no hope of ever happening. They pay horribly. They hire a lot of recent college grads because no one else will work for the poor salaries they offer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Culture

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at MECLABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learning opportunities, opportunities to do meaningful work, fun and high energy environment

Cons

Growing very fast, which can be a double edged sword at times.

Challenging, rewarding work surrounded by smart, fun high-performers.

Current Employee - Research Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at MECLABS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Every day includes an education in how to improve marketing. We work with high-profile partners and our research-based approach produces the evidence that spawns industry-wide best practices. The opportunities for career growth are substantial and you're treated with respect beginning on day one.

Cons

If you're healthy and you don't like to walk, the trek from the parking lot might be a con... but it's a pretty walk.

You're doing a great job, but we're already outgrowing our building. Time to add some space!

Do yourself a favor. Don't work here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at MECLABS full-time

Pros

Ping-pong table, co-workers willing to brainstorm on projects, co-workers that liked to socialize together. Great resume builder. You have the opportunity to work with major household brand name companies. Co-workers very intelligent and interesting people. No dress code at all -- flip-flops, shorts, and t-shirts were typical. Many people even went around barefoot.

Cons

Employees were given laptops to take home every night and overtime was expected as part of the job. Promotions were given to people who drank the company kool-aid, but not for any actual leadership or management ability. Senior titles didn't mean anything. New hires were typically recent college grads with no real work experience. The turnover rate was extremely high. New people were hired constantly and people would quit or get fired all the time. Management-level employees showed up to work hung-over a lot.

Invest in your employees. Don't give leadership and management positions to people who aren't ready for them.

My work results in excellent impact for our partners

Current Employee - Researcher  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Researcher in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at MECLABS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You influence the marketing strategy of our partners that results in measurable impact. So if you are motivated by doing good work, this is an excellent place to work.

We are growing fast!

Your effectiveness and contribution to our learning and to the culture are the most important considerations towards advancement. Age, education, seniority are not the deciding factors. This at times can be confusing, but in the long run it creates an exceptionally productive environment. How do you influence the success of the team? That is the core question.

Cons

It's a two edged sword. Explosive growth and change. We are a research firm first, which means that we are always trying to become better. This constant change can be a challenge for some who want to know how to do things "right". Until we test and get the data, it is only opinion. Some find this very difficult to deal with.

Get a bigger building FAST!

MECLABS

Former Employee - Sales  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at MECLABS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to learn SEO tools.

Cons

They can place you in a 'program' calling on vendors customers rather than actually working on SEO projects.

Make sure you provide a full disclosure of all jobs prior to placement. Let the employee know they might not be doing what they interviewed for right away.

Don't work here

I have been working at MECLABS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Location. We are moving though.

Cons

Managers (that are not even managers) and a CEO who appoints managers that are not even managers.

Think about how experienced you are before you call yourselves experts.

Very tight group. Very tough to break into.

I worked at MECLABS

Pros

Smart people. Leaders in conversion optimization. Strong brand.

Cons

I didn't feel like people were too friendly.

Worked for MECLABS? Contribute to the Community!