MECLABS
www.meclabs.com Jacksonville Beach, FL 150 to 499 Employees

MECLABS Reviews

Updated May 13, 2014
MECLABS – Jacksonville Beach – “MECLABS Green Screen Studio”

Flint McGlaughlin

Excellent Culture

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsLearning opportunities, opportunities to do meaningful work, fun and high energy environment

ConsGrowing very fast, which can be a double edged sword at times.

Challenging, rewarding work surrounded by smart, fun high-performers.

Research Manager (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsEvery day includes an education in how to improve marketing. We work with high-profile partners and our research-based approach produces the evidence that spawns industry-wide best practices. The opportunities for career growth are substantial and you're treated with respect beginning on day one.

ConsIf you're healthy and you don't like to walk, the trek from the parking lot might be a con... but it's a pretty walk.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a great job, but we're already outgrowing our building. Time to add some space!

Do yourself a favor. Don't work here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsPing-pong table, co-workers willing to brainstorm on projects, co-workers that liked to socialize together. Great resume builder. You have the opportunity to work with major household brand name companies. Co-workers very intelligent and interesting people. No dress code at all -- flip-flops, shorts, and t-shirts were typical. Many people even went around barefoot.

ConsEmployees were given laptops to take home every night and overtime was expected as part of the job. Promotions were given to people who drank the company kool-aid, but not for any actual leadership or management ability. Senior titles didn't mean anything. New hires were typically recent college grads with no real work experience. The turnover rate was extremely high. New people were hired constantly and people would quit or get fired all the time. Management-level employees showed up to work hung-over a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. Don't give leadership and management positions to people who aren't ready for them.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My work results in excellent impact for our partners

Researcher (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsYou influence the marketing strategy of our partners that results in measurable impact. So if you are motivated by doing good work, this is an excellent place to work.

We are growing fast!

Your effectiveness and contribution to our learning and to the culture are the most important considerations towards advancement. Age, education, seniority are not the deciding factors. This at times can be confusing, but in the long run it creates an exceptionally productive environment. How do you influence the success of the team? That is the core question.

ConsIt's a two edged sword. Explosive growth and change. We are a research firm first, which means that we are always trying to become better. This constant change can be a challenge for some who want to know how to do things "right". Until we test and get the data, it is only opinion. Some find this very difficult to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a bigger building FAST!

MECLABS

Sales (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsOpportunities to learn SEO tools.

ConsThey can place you in a 'program' calling on vendors customers rather than actually working on SEO projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you provide a full disclosure of all jobs prior to placement. Let the employee know they might not be doing what they interviewed for right away.

Don't work here

ProsLocation. We are moving though.

ConsManagers (that are not even managers) and a CEO who appoints managers that are not even managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about how experienced you are before you call yourselves experts.

Very tight group. Very tough to break into.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people. Leaders in conversion optimization. Strong brand.

ConsI didn't feel like people were too friendly.

Great fun to work with smart people and help others in the marketing industry

Content (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville Beach, FL

ProsMECLABS is a really respected company in the marketing industry, so working at MECLABS, you have the opportunity to work with some of the tops brands in the world, along with other leading companies in the marketing industry. Also, the content strategy is really based and focused on helping fellow marketers, whether they are customers or not, so it's really fulfilling to help others do their job better. Also, among the best group of people I've ever worked with. The interview process is long and difficult, but the upside is, your peers are really part of a team and will really pull for you. There are no politics or backstabbing, which can happen at other companies in the marketing industry. Also, since your job is to teach other marketers, and since the company sells marketing training, you have free access to tons of (sometimes expensive) marketing training that can really help you further your knowledge and career.

ConsThis is a pro for some and a con for others, however, digital marketing is an extremely fast-changing marketplace, so you have to be prepared for constant change. Also, as the company has grown, it has become harder to get things done. This is common for many growing companies though, simply because more people are involved. And the websites are pretty old. There is an upside, since the company was among the first to write about Internet marketing, it's a true authority in the space. However, the older technology is harder to work with. It is being upgraded though, but that takes time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on the employees as the company grows. It's a great group of people. The challenge will be to keep growing without hurting the culture.

Good for one thing - Resume Builder

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsMECLABS will give you opportunities to work with fortune 500 companies. Movement within the organization can be used to build your resume. Great company for college grads who need resume building opportunities and can live a simple lifestyle.

ConsCompensation is low and management knows this. You will be told in your interview that if you are looking for a company to become wealthy you are with the wrong organization.
    You do not apply or interview for positions within the company, you are chosen when leadership feels you are ready.
    The company has a strong foundation to help other companies, but does not use their own ideologies to manage and run their own organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementDisclosing the millions of dollars you personally helped another organization make goes against your ideologies of working because you enjoy the work. If you feel making a decent salary should not be your main objective in working for our organization, then please do not go about the office praising how profitable you make other organizations. Start investing in your employees and you will see an increase in conversion.

A remarkable opportunity to influence the marketing world.

Director of Research (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsWorking on the research content side of the company was a remarkable opportunity to influence the marketing world. Recognition of this opportunity instilled an exceptional sense of pride in the research team and the content they produced.

ConsThe goal of achieving one very subjective individual's personal vision for the company led to an extreme level of micro-management of people and processes by executive management, tarnishing an otherwise remarkable opportunity. The result: the immediate termination of an entire, previously-commended research team without cause or explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Hans Christian Anderson tale titled "The Emporer's New Clothes" should become mandatory reading for executive development.

Worked for MECLABS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MECLABS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MECLABS CEO Flint McGlaughlin . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by MECLABS employees.