MEDLAB

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.8

CEO

Great company if you can keep up

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at MEDLAB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learning medical terminology, Relationships, Company events.

Cons

Organization, Effort in Communication, Pay and Compensation.

Consider raising pay and increasing communication.

Disroganized, but I liked the cohesiveness of the staff

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at MEDLAB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff felt like family

Cons

Disorganized, no leadership. Thrown into a pseudo lead tech/supervisor role as a tech fresh out of school.

I wish this could've been fixed

Company was disorganized.

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MEDLAB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers lots of overtime!

Cons

Company was disorganized with scheduling and dividing work.

My expierence with MEDLAB has been very rewarding. Its a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Phlebotomist I in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist I in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at MEDLAB full-time

Pros

I love doing phlebotomy and working with the patients

Cons

A lot of wear and tear on your personal vehicle. But, it is in the job description so it goes with the position.

No advice

It was a very Good job. My direct supervisor was very nice.

I worked at MEDLAB

Pros

I had an independent working style and was not micro managed at all

Cons

Overall I was not unhappy with the job. the work environment was nice and I liked my co workers. I also liked my direct supervisor.

I liked the independent work style which allowed me to make decisions with out having to stop and ask on each and every decision step

Profit vs. Healthcare

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at MEDLAB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a company for people without education or any other job prospects. It might actually work for a couple of months.

Cons

Medlab has 90% employee turnover every 24 months, which is acknowledged by the company. A short training program is offered to every new employee at the headquarters and this is the first place where employees start to leave. Half of those who make it through the training leave the first or second month. There are a couple of reasons for that. Pay rate for phlebotomists starts between $11.00 and 11.25 an hour and hardly ever goes over $12.00 regardless of experience. Industry average is around $13.50. Phlebotomists work night shift usually between 2am and 10am and there is no shift premium. Since this is a Mobil Phlebotomist job, location is usually at remote nursing homes all around the state in the middle of the night (scary). Phlebotomists are using their own vehicles and they are reimbursed on average $0.30 a mile. I observed that this reimbursement is the lowest in the industry and it doesn’t fully cover the wear and tear on the vehicle. Many of the phlebotomists, after certain period of employment with the company are not able to cover repairs on their vehicles and have no choice but to take a loan on another vehicle. Just have in mind that they started their employment with the company without any vehicle financial obligations.
       Environment in the company is very stressful. First, there is a serious miscommunication between management. Headquarters in Cincinnati usually blame the branches, and branches blame the management at headquarters. It is a constant fight and it feels like these are two separate companies. This affects employees badly and makes employment very unpleasant. On the other hand, relationship with the nursing homes suffers because of this mismanagement, and phlebotomists are the ones absorbing the negativity and complaints at customer’s sites on a regular basis.
    Company’s patients are treated more like cash cows rather than people in need of healthcare. It is all about the number of sticks and phlebotomists are sometimes blamed for patient’s refusals.
    Branch managers are usually overwhelmed to provide their superiors with the required numbers so they feel it is not their responsibility to pay attention to employee satisfaction. Team leaders who are usually under the supervisors have no authority at all and they cannot improve work conditions as well. In fact there is no one to take responsibility for improving work conditions.
    Overall, dissatisfaction among phlebotomists is very high and therefore they leave the company quickly.

Great mid-level management. Out-of-touch leadership at the top.

Current Employee - Processing Supervisor
    Current Employee - Processing Supervisor

I have been working at MEDLAB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers
    Unique niche of industry that is their own

Cons

Poor pay
    Poor atmosphere
    Negative vibe
    High Turnover

Pay more in order to keep proper employees from leaving to competition.

Poor Management. Lack of Team work. Favoritism. Lousy schedules.

Current Employee - Phlebotomist II in Parma, OH
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist II in Parma, OH

I have been working at MEDLAB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you get to know as patients and professionals. Not stuck in one place for 8-12hrs a day.

Cons

Poor management. Lack of communication between staff & management and between staff members. Having to work regular shift and cover on call(sometimes putting in 16hr days). Working 14 days in a row with no breaks(when on call). Phleb's don't like to help each other out because they want to get home at a decent time. Favoritism between management & certain phleb's. Large turnover rates. See more reviews on indeed.com

Need to hire more people to staff the hours/days/shifts including on call schedules even if they are PT/On Call/Per Diem, etc... Staff is overworked and stressed out. This opens everyone up to make mistakes & in this field those mistakes mean someone's life. Quit trying to buy up every lab all at once. A slow take over would be better suited to the company, the staff, and the clients.