MEDRAD Reviews

Very rewarding and enjoyable

Former Employee - Field Management
    Former Employee - Field Management

I worked at MEDRAD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We competed with our products and service, we won as a result of our people. We valued our customers and employees.

Cons

MEDRAD is no longer as it was acquired by Bayer Healthcare. The values and culture has shifted which one would expect.

Keep your eye on your customers and employees

Bayer is doing what any German company does in a buyout - discard America and grow Germany

Former Employee - BBS IT  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - BBS IT in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at MEDRAD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Medrad Pros - Pay and benefits were good, although the "friends" got better pay. Great employees back in the day when there were just those buildings in Indianola and RIDC.
    Bayer Pros - can't think of any.

Cons

Medrad Cons - Very cliquish and discriminatory. Crafty, sneaky and devious managers and employees who would destroy employees they did not like. Warrendale location was the beginning of the end for MEDRAD. The culture changed with lots of arrogance that management failed to see. The management after this time went down hill.
    Bayer Cons - You left lots of good people go and kept some real bad ones. But you don't care about these reviews anyway.

Management no longer cares what people think. Bayer preaches all kind of values, but are easily deceived by employees. There is no team in Bayer, no respect for cultural, race, gender or sexual orientation differences - there is extreme discrimination practiced by managers unless it's somebody on the 'like' list. When everything is eventually reabsorbed by Germany, US employees will not need to be concerned about advice to the management.

Great Company

I worked at MEDRAD as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Benefits. Tremendous, knowledgable teams, salespeople are fantastic, great work enviornment

Cons

Beyer swallowed it whole.

Time off policies should be more flexible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MEDRAD was a tremendous place to work, but Bayer is killing it.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at MEDRAD full-time

Pros

Knowledgeable teams, good compensation, low cost of living in Pittsburgh PA. Before Bayer there was a great work environment and camaraderie among employees, and great communication from upper management regarding business direction.

Cons

Bayer. Pharma company attempting to run a medical device company (which was already trying to reinvent itself as a software company.) Work environment rapidly deteriorating amidst frequent reorganizations and rounds of layoffs. It is pretty clear that you are just a cog in the wheel now.

Carve out some budget dollars for team building.

Great for learning

I worked at MEDRAD full-time

Pros

Team environment, great feedback, community of intelligent employees

Cons

Change in management and location

Keep doing what got you there

Positive and a wonderful company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at MEDRAD full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and compensation. Treated with great respect and an overall great experience working for this company.

Cons

I do not have any cons to talk about, this company always kept the employees up to date with the direction of the company.

Good place to learn logistics

Former Employee - Logistisc  in  Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Logistisc in Tulsa, OK

I worked at MEDRAD full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many customers, use of technology, good workload

Cons

some managers are not very friendly

listen to the employees' ideas more

Middle management out of control- for $

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harmarville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harmarville, PA

I worked at MEDRAD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Daily co-workers & hands on folks are pleasant to work with. Good locations, benefits.

Cons

Middle management has resisted communtcation with employees in the basic Bayer changes. Some departments are running on 1/2 the needed staffing. Many layoffs. agressive bully management tactics caused toxic daily workplace. Employees being pushed to limits, constant push by mngmnt. to implement new "improvements" only to revert on to another "better" process... but not actually helping improve anything.
    FDA involvement is tactfully pushed off by the assigned director, and to avoid learning ,TRAINING,and improving, simply pushes off the responsiblitiy to the next dept. in line.
    Seems there is NO TEAMWORK left here.
    Seeking daily challenges as an employee with providing positive results isn't well recognized.
    manageers are very unprofessional, almost like school kids, in favortism, and clicks...one dept. won't work with another.

Bayer- you have self induldgent middle management acquired from Medrad that isn't director or management material. Your layoffs are misdirected in stabilizing the budget. Maybe get stronger more qualified managers that actually know how to interact with employees in positive ways to obtain stronger dept. results, instead of not being capable of working with, let alone leading a department of employees. (some throw paper coffe cups when mad) really? Is that necessary?
    Atmosphere so sad...had to leave.

MEDRAD was a very unique and special place"

I have been working at MEDRAD full-time

Pros

collaboration, people, impact of products and services
    Track record of new products and attempts to redefine itself

Cons

Bayer takeover and integration into the German hierarchy. THere is a lack of risk taking

Not much can do but hold on!

The only constant thing in life is CHANGE

I have been working at MEDRAD

Pros

Great people! Great environment! People truly do care about the safety and effectiveness of the products made. You will be challenged with your work and as an engineer will learn tremendously.

Cons

With the Bayer integration, it is difficult to determine where Bayer is taking the company. Like all the other posters said, you can sense the "family feel" of Medrad going away and the corporate Bayer culture really coming on strong. Just like everything in life, things change and I guess it is Medrad's turn. However, I do not think that Bayer knows what they are doing by trying to run a device company. They are a pharma company and it's just not the same. They will run Medrad into the ground before they start growing it again.

Middle Management - project managers,supervisors etc., good job and keep up the good work.

Executives from Medrad and Bayer - stop all of the reorganization. there has been a reorg every year i've been here since 2010. pick a structure and lets get to work making devices! I swear I don't know what the corporate execs do all day. I wish my biggest worry was figuring out what kind of structure to put my employees in.

Worked for MEDRAD? Contribute to the Community!