MEDRIO

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Mike Novotny

Huge Potential for Growth

Marketing/Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe management team at Medrio are knowledgeable and have been great mentors for me during my tenure at Medrio. Hard work is rewarded through responsibility and anyone willing to put in the extra effort will surely succeed here.

ConsI have seen people struggle when on-boarding while trying to understand our industry and our customers. Clinical research is a new field for many of our hires so be ready to learn in order to succeed.

Growing, fun company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-growth opportunity: as the company grows there is plenty of room for career growth
    -impact: the company is still a small enough size to truly feel the impact you make
    -culture: great work life balance, collaborative, fun

Cons-there are certainly some growing pains as we figure out what works for us and what doesn't

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are able to speak openly with all levels including the CEO regarding anything we'd like to change. As such, any "advice" I've had, I've chatted with mgmt about.

Sales and Marketing will be the downfall of this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance and location are the only Pros to working here. Medrio is an excellent case study on how not to run a start-up, why not to hire inexperienced managers, and why not work for a company that has not been through at least 2 rounds of venture funding.

ConsIn the last year the sales and marketing team has had nearly 80% turnover resulting in no one with marketing experience running the marketing team and leaving the sales team with a few favored employees that have little experience anywhere else. The Sales and Marketing leadership has no previous management experience and no marketing experience and is threatened by those on the team and in other departments that do. This has resulted in experienced people being forced out for no real cause, stifled growth, and a sales model that is outdated. The projected earnings when hired into sales are misrepresented as policy and those who have dared broach the subject are fired or forced out. The lack of institutional funding has resulted in the guilting anyone who asks for additional resources or market compensation by making them feel they are reaching into the CEO's personal pocket or that of the angel investors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over with your sales and marketing department. Hire a new, experienced, sales and marketing manager before the big boys in EDC eat your lunch. While you play games, politics and work from Pete's coffee, there are real executives out there gunning for your phase 1 business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Grow

New Customer Specialist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe office environment is what I love most about this place. Great culture with the company as a whole working towards one common goal. Starting out they give you the basics on how to perform while, and then let you loose to see what works for you.

ConsThe office temperature can have its highs and lows.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on guiding the company in the right direction. Also making sure different departments don't become pitted against one another keeping the great company culture.

Great product and company mired by devastating yet easily correctable problems

Marketing/Sales (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis a company with great people that is striving to make a positive impact in helping companies bring drugs to market faster, and ultimately save more lives. The product is wonderfully 'disruptive' in clinical data management space, as so many other SAAS software companies have been in other verticals, and the vision of the CEO is an ideal guiding force. Medrio is mid-sized startup that is fighting the good fight and hoping to capitalize substantially, which puts its shareholders (management, board, employees) in a good place to benefit. I am convinced that with a little re-tooling, this company and its employees will be a great success.

ConsThe culture has unfortunately succumbed to politics, and certain teams such as marketing/sales, product, operations, have become toxic environments to work in for the majority. Preferential treatment toward some employees has become commonplace, and accounts of good employees being let-go without adequate justification, or others simply being forced-out, seem to be increasingly ubiquitous. Aside from the CEO, management is not being held accountable or taking responsibility for this mass-exodus and just seeks to re-hire. The recruiting/interview process is absurd, and management seems to struggle with scaling employees to optimal levels given the current state of the business. It does not seem that new employees are setup for success with minimal training, mentoring, or direction.

Justification for certain actions seems to by summed up with the phrase 'that's our policy' which is never a good sign. I observed that numerous employees comment that salary/bonus/compensation expectations were misrepresented or unrealistic during the interview process, in addition to a meager offered benefit package. Growth has appeared to have stalled compared to the recent past, and despite claiming to be upwardly mobile, there seems to be little career development or opportunity for many. Advise to applicants- ask specifically about the above before accepting an offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus on employee development and retention, rather than burning through people as a poorly run start-up would, and increase capacity to build the product and features dynamically and more efficiently.

cool place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proswork culture, transparent policies, snacks, flexible timings

Conshigh pace growth is affecting work culture...

Slow to fail slow to change

ProsGrowing in many categories that matter financially, while keeping a focus on the customer

ConsPoor compensation and benefits
    Lack of experience from mgmt
    Slow to fail slow to change
    Lack of caffeine free drinks in lunch room

Medrio, a great place to be!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSolid Sales and Marketing team, amazing growth potential, strong work ethic and culture of accountability throughout the company, located is unbeatable, great/hard working colleagues

ConsThe company is growing rapidly so you have be on top of your game as far as knowing who is doing what and how roles are changing.

The Little Engine that Couldn't

ProsGreat Location and Great View

ConsHorrible Leadership, Sales team are hacks , Sales Engineers are rookies and from unprofitable start ups. used computer ( No apple products WTH) high school click feel, plused used furniture....

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost good sales people already , folks that could preform and others that could out sell your entire team..They leave because of the leadership, our Engineering team works in fear of it job loss, The pay is way to low and the benefits are way to low. Please remove the head of the sales department and rethink our business plan.

Great Place, Great People

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy location to get to in a nice building, you are not micromanaged, company has a lot of growth potential, great place to learn and get experience, not a cut throat sales culture, everyone is willing to help if you need it

ConsThe office has no character, everything is from Ikea, computers are used, sales training could use a refresh

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on sales if you want the company to grow

Worked for MEDRIO? Contribute to the Community!