MEDTOX Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
21 reviews filtered by
2.8
Dick Braun

Stable work environment, upward mobility is limited

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time

Pros

Provides good benefits
    Co-workers are all hard working and attribute to a pleasant work environment

Cons

Inconsistencies with communication between management and HR
    Upward or lateral movement is limited based on what is available at time of hire and not dependent on work ethic or commitment to the company
    Little understanding or work/home life balance

Advice to Management

Reward employees who show a strong work ethic and desire to grow and excel

2. Just a number

I worked at MEDTOX

Pros

Gain experience working in a lab and using instruments to analysis samples.

Cons

High turn over. Your just a number. Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

Offer better composition.

3. Poor Management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Brighton, MN

I worked at MEDTOX

Pros

Nice cafeteria, comfortable work chairs

Cons

Extremely poor training in the call center. Immature and young supervisors. You cannot talk or speak to your co-workers at all. The worst micro-managed environment I have ever worked in. It is okay for the supervisors to talk, laugh and waste time and be disruptive, but yet the employees in their cubicles cannot even say "hi" to their co-workers.

Advice to Management

You need to re-organize your supervisor staff as that is why you have such a high turnover

5. Just fine for hourly shift work

Former Employee - Laboratory Technologist
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technologist

I worked at MEDTOX

Pros

You know exact what you need to do after you get trained in. The shifts go by very slowly and nothing every changes so it is quite boring after a few shifts. It is a great job if you never want to have to work past your expected shift. There are a so many opportunities for overtime pay.

Cons

You tend to get bored pretty quickly but if you have the mental stamina to hanhandle it, you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Stick to the training schedule that HR sends out in their offer letters. I had shifts change on me last minute which was irritating.

They are embracing a quickly changing field

Current Employee - Laboratory Technologist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technologist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company growth, opportunity for recent grad employment, the people I work with are fun to be around and those with a negative work attitude seem to be weeded out.

Cons

Working on the weekends. Most shifts require you to work Saturday or Sunday every week which wears on your social life

Advice to Management

Develop a rotating weekend

Meh....

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, flexibility in hours

Cons

Management, upward mobility is non existent, being rewarded for accomplishment is non existent.

Advice to Management

Reward you good employees instead of the weak ones.

Treated like first graders.

Former Employee - Forensic Data Entry Clerk in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Forensic Data Entry Clerk in New Brighton, MN

I worked at MEDTOX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High turnover made it easier to get hired here. Decent benefits for working at least 30 hours a week.

Cons

Very erratic schedule in data entry department. We had to stay until the day's work was done, whether that was 4 hours or 10 hours. Also we worked every single Saturday. I wasn't told when I interviewed that our Saturday start time was 2 hours later than the rest of the week. I had no real weekend for 3 years.

We got two 15 minute breaks during the workday, regardless of how long it was. We were expected to wolf down our lunches in that time and got the stink eye if we were one second late returning. The supervisor allowed no talking at all. If you engaged in a polite conservation with your neighbor, she threatened to deduct it from your break time. The environment was very catty and there were several women in the department who I am certain had serious psychological problems.

The worst part of all is that we were forced to work in the lab opening shipments of urine samples because the lab was always shorthanded. I signed on to be a data entry operator, not handle someone else's pee. The smell is about as gross as you can imagine.

There's potential here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is often an abundance of work. There are always some open positions. The business is open every day, 3 shifts with minimal-to-no staffing on defined holidays. Most of the current staff are really great people. There are benefits but the insurance coverage and other typical benefits are different than we were used to before LabCorp. There is an ongoing drive to promote wellness at work and away from work. There may be a reasonable amount of Personal Leave Benefit (vacation, etc) earned dependant on years of service. For an energetic individual with few other commitments, there can be opportunity to make some money.

Cons

1. Regulations require certain degrees (4 yr) for many positions even those that seem entry level. There are many more entry level positions than there are chances to move up. 2. Each position has varying degrees of repetitiveness from extreme to expected. This can manifest itself as repetitive stress conditions such as carpal tunnel injuries and/or other nerve stresses, back stresses, etc. 3. Some overtime work is expected/required. Some positions are designated as "stay til all work that came in that day is completed"-that can be very challenging. 4. It can be difficult to take vacation in many departments, either because there isn't a lot of staff available to cover and/or because some groups have more vacation time earned (due to years of service) than there are available hours/days to take off- resulting in some earned hours forfeited. Communication within and between departments is challenging. Everything we do is dependant on the computer system, yet there are never enough people in the IS department to address day to day concerns and to complete small to large projects.

Advice to Management

I don't envy any of you, there aren't enough hours in the day. The LabCorp management might wisely see their role as maintaining, supporting and finally elevating this newest piece of their pie. There are some real investments here (good people) who have dedicated a large part of their lives to the success of MedTox. MedTox can be a great company to work for. Their cons are similar to those seen in similar organizations. We must work smarter.

Was an excellent company before buyout

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New Brighton, MN

I worked at MEDTOX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great pay, good benefits, advancement opportunities, good culture with a lot of company pride

Cons

buy out by large corporate giant, LabCorp may destroy the client service first culture. Keeping in tune with LabCorp's history this facility may not exist in the not-so-distant future.

Advice to Management

Treat the clients with the same care as MEDTOX did. Why do you think MEDTOX was constantly growing and constantly taking Quest and LabCorp business?

Entry Level experience, nothing more.

Current Employee - Lab Technologist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Lab Technologist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

High turnover rate makes for easy hiring. Lots of OT.

Cons

Old run down machines that break weekly. Low pay, No socializing unless on break. No radios. Assembly line system. Poor management. Mandatory Overtime.

Advice to Management

This isn't a sweatshop. Better morale increases performance....

MEDTOX Photos