MEDTOX Reviews

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014

Dick Braun

Meh....

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people, flexibility in hours

Cons

Management, upward mobility is non existent, being rewarded for accomplishment is non existent.

Reward you good employees instead of the weak ones.

Treated like first graders.

Former Employee - Forensic Data Entry Clerk in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Forensic Data Entry Clerk in New Brighton, MN

I worked at MEDTOX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High turnover made it easier to get hired here. Decent benefits for working at least 30 hours a week.

Cons

Very erratic schedule in data entry department. We had to stay until the day's work was done, whether that was 4 hours or 10 hours. Also we worked every single Saturday. I wasn't told when I interviewed that our Saturday start time was 2 hours later than the rest of the week. I had no real weekend for 3 years.

We got two 15 minute breaks during the workday, regardless of how long it was. We were expected to wolf down our lunches in that time and got the stink eye if we were one second late returning. The supervisor allowed no talking at all. If you engaged in a polite conservation with your neighbor, she threatened to deduct it from your break time. The environment was very catty and there were several women in the department who I am certain had serious psychological problems.

The worst part of all is that we were forced to work in the lab opening shipments of urine samples because the lab was always shorthanded. I signed on to be a data entry operator, not handle someone else's pee. The smell is about as gross as you can imagine.

There's potential here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is often an abundance of work. There are always some open positions. The business is open every day, 3 shifts with minimal-to-no staffing on defined holidays. Most of the current staff are really great people. There are benefits but the insurance coverage and other typical benefits are different than we were used to before LabCorp. There is an ongoing drive to promote wellness at work and away from work. There may be a reasonable amount of Personal Leave Benefit (vacation, etc) earned dependant on years of service. For an energetic individual with few other commitments, there can be opportunity to make some money.

Cons

1. Regulations require certain degrees (4 yr) for many positions even those that seem entry level. There are many more entry level positions than there are chances to move up. 2. Each position has varying degrees of repetitiveness from extreme to expected. This can manifest itself as repetitive stress conditions such as carpal tunnel injuries and/or other nerve stresses, back stresses, etc. 3. Some overtime work is expected/required. Some positions are designated as "stay til all work that came in that day is completed"-that can be very challenging. 4. It can be difficult to take vacation in many departments, either because there isn't a lot of staff available to cover and/or because some groups have more vacation time earned (due to years of service) than there are available hours/days to take off- resulting in some earned hours forfeited. Communication within and between departments is challenging. Everything we do is dependant on the computer system, yet there are never enough people in the IS department to address day to day concerns and to complete small to large projects.

I don't envy any of you, there aren't enough hours in the day. The LabCorp management might wisely see their role as maintaining, supporting and finally elevating this newest piece of their pie. There are some real investments here (good people) who have dedicated a large part of their lives to the success of MedTox. MedTox can be a great company to work for. Their cons are similar to those seen in similar organizations. We must work smarter.

Was an excellent company before buyout

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New Brighton, MN

I worked at MEDTOX full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great pay, good benefits, advancement opportunities, good culture with a lot of company pride

Cons

buy out by large corporate giant, LabCorp may destroy the client service first culture. Keeping in tune with LabCorp's history this facility may not exist in the not-so-distant future.

Treat the clients with the same care as MEDTOX did. Why do you think MEDTOX was constantly growing and constantly taking Quest and LabCorp business?

Entry Level experience, nothing more.

Current Employee - Lab Technologist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Lab Technologist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

High turnover rate makes for easy hiring. Lots of OT.

Cons

Old run down machines that break weekly. Low pay, No socializing unless on break. No radios. Assembly line system. Poor management. Mandatory Overtime.

This isn't a sweatshop. Better morale increases performance....

Laboratory Technologist

Former Employee - Laboratory Technologist I
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technologist I

I worked at MEDTOX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of access to variety of instrumentation and laboratory techniques. Hire directly out of college.

Cons

Poor management. High turnover. Little room for advancement.

Treat your employees like adults.

Stay away from Screens, esoteric and MCT

I have been working at MEDTOX (more than an year)

Pros

I like the coworkers and on weekends it is a very chill place to work.

Cons

The management team in the noted areas are terrible. They are incredible controlling and will follow you around making sure you don't talk to anyone. The work is very monotonous as well. It is very much a production lab.

Replace! There is a reason why the turn over rate is so high in these areas!!!

Good place to start out

Current Employee - Technologist II in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Technologist II in New Brighton, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a good job to gain experience out of college with a young workforce.

Cons

Very little room for career growth. The shifts are irregular.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Administrative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Administrative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great benefits, good location, faimly feeling

Cons

Not up with all new electronics

Overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at MEDTOX

Pros

Great about taking time off, Medtox is a growing company and offers very competitive products, great employees to work with.

Cons

I have seen a lot of good people move on to other companies to get better paying jobs because of limited room for growth.

innovate with some of the new synthetic drug testing - dont fall behind or follow others into the market with products with this new testing