MEDecision

Promising company ruined

Employee (Current Employee)
Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at MEDecision full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat, and by great I mean PHENOMENAL staff....Unfortunately they were all let go
Work from home

ConsNew head incapable of leading the company upward, (everyone is essentially her underling "move the boxes, house sit for me, run my errands, watch out for my dog"), secrets and lies run rampant here; not interested in being innovative.
RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about some loyalty to the staff that got our company rated as exceptional by our customer?/ Remember this announcement, right before you announced that you would be laying off 1/3 of the company? Hiring MORE VPs right on the tails of this is insulting!! Exactly who are they leading???

GET SOME LEGITIMATE SALES! Hint: You get this by creating technology that is innovative!!

STOP WITH THE SECRETS AND LIES! The "secret" trip to India means one thing to those of us that remain: OUTSOURCING!

Not a good employer

I have been working at MEDecision full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork life balance is good. Pay is competitive.

ConsThe company is not doing well. A third of the company was laid off recently. There does not seem to be a go-forward plan. There is zero confidence is senior management. MEDecision used to be a place people wanted to work. Not anymore. Even the people who were not laid off are planning to leave. So sad. Unfortunately, the positive reviews that are on this site about MEDecision are not a true reflection of the current state of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn about the software industry so you can make better decisions. Try to connect with employees so they have a better impression of you. Right now we mostly think there is a lot of incompetence.

Its been real

Developer (Current Employee)
Wayne, NJ

I have been working at MEDecision full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with and lots of flex within scheduling.

ConsAll I can say is Medecision inherited a WEAK CEO!( Deb Gage) She has hired many VPs or better yet , "Yes People". The people that spoke out are now working elsewhere. A quot from the CEO, " HCSC has deep pockets." Sure lets paint the product and and force clients to upgrade. Lets redo the lobby? Wait, something wrong here? Maybe we can buy out another company and get their clients., but first lets get rid of 1/3 of the company so that we can pay for this. Pity the fool!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for another gig before the ship sinks.

Wide and worsening chasm between senior management and everyone else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Wayne, PA

I worked at MEDecision full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company's buildings provide adequate shelter from bad weather and are climate-controlled

ConsLayoffs becoming a huge part of the culture, enormous disconnect between senior management and the 'worker bees', morale plummeting

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscontinuing the practice of demoralizing people would be a good idea. Implementing performance reviews where a large segment of the company is ranked as "substandard" simply because it meets some sort of arbitrary metric accomplishes nothing other than to make people want to leave. The recent mass layoff ended up taking care of that on its own. Outside of anyone at the VP level, no one has been given any incentive to remain at the company and there have been quite a few departures even among those who weren't laid off. All the while, the messages from the top are of the "moving in a new direction" nature. Easy to chuckle at that after more than 125 layoffs in the last two years from a company that only numbered about 300 before that.

MEDecision had a solid reputation for over 20 years as a fun place to work with a lot of terrific people. The last two years have basically eradicated that completely and now people are all but dying to leave.

This is a Sinking ship

Wayne, PA

I have been working at MEDecision full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible work schedule/Work from home/intelligent co-workers

ConsThere has recently been a layoff of 33% of the company (+,+,+).
The company was already top heavy, but no VP's were let go during the layoff. In fact they are hiring more VP's.
People were already over worked and not sure how Deb Gage will handle managing the company
with such a depleted work force.
Work/Life balance has gone downhill
The code is a mess

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into the life boats

Interesting

I have been working at MEDecision as a contractor

ProsStill learning the environment and meeting people.

ConsUnsure what to say at this time.

Advice to Senior Managementworking on it

Wouldn't recommend to my friends and family!

I have been working at MEDecision full-time

ProsFlexible with hours, ability to work from home, fun and intelligent co-workers/peers.

ConsLayoffs are again on the books.
Lots of titles and more senior/vp titles hired.
Product needs improvement, too many defects and lacking functionality.
Processes are broken and while the effort is there to improve, slow to change.
The aesthetics of the C-suite building appeared to be important in 2010 and when the changes weren't appealing it was done again - all the while laying people off.
Work/Life balance has gone downhill.
Performance reviews were revamped mid-year with only 2 weeks notice on the changes and no opportunity to adjust to new metrics. Provided Sr. Management a good baseline to aid them in cleaning house.....again.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit shuffling people around - make the appropriate changes, the company is once again top heavy. Fix the product, make it better all around, make implementation easier. There are smart people here who can do the job, allow them to do their jobs.
Cleaning up from previous senior management's mistakes is never easy ,but seriously, I think Miss Gage is in over her head. I've seen the logo change and the development of a SAS product for small customers, but nothing has changed with the flagship application.

Stay Away- No Sales

Consulting (Current Employee)

I have been working at MEDecision full-time for more than a year

ProsWork at home, some good people, healthcare coverage below standard, PTO time good

ConsToo many broken processes, nobody wants to fix them, terrible consulting organization, some misrepresentive information to customers regarding software capabilities.
No communication from management...
 I enjoy my team but am embarrassed by the reputation in the market. Colleagues at other companies give me a knowing look of pity when I tell them where I work.
How can a health plan function if they cannot use the software. Work arounds???
Our internal development team do not know how to make it function.

The benefits are the worse, pay is well below standard for the industry.

I have been here a little over 2 years and worked very hard with little rewards. Was promised a bonus plan, but aways an excuse on why it was moved to another day. Really?
Implementations take way too long, is that due to the fact you want to get more money on implementations? Look at what the competition is doing. The direction here is not up for growth. Employees looking to leave....

Advice to Senior ManagementCannot close a deal, have you looked at who is selling?
Management needs to clean house soon,
Scary times at company
Staff are looking for other jobs
Look at an overhaul of the exec team

Some much more that can get done, but you must work around the egos above you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MEDecision

ProsMy peers were very nice and I enjoyed "going to battle" with them.

ConsConstantly changing direction from above.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do you have so many VP's in areas that don't need it and why are you hiring more people after just laying-off over 40 people. You should look at your management structure before you get rid of the people who actually do the work.

ok, not great

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at MEDecision

ProsThey gave me a great salary. Also, there's some really smart people there, who know so much about technology. Additionally, open source software is not just tolerated; it's used almost everywhere. The people are pretty fun to be around too.

ConsManagement is not good, overall. Some managers are awesome, don't get me wrong, but others are very risk averse, unmotivational, and suck any willingness you may have to do right by the company.

If you end up as a coder, realize that the code is a mess. Management is too risk averse (overall) to try to fix that.

The direction of the company is gonna be interesting under the new CEO (Miss Gage).

Advice to Senior ManagementMEDecision is a software company; it should be led by software people. The missed deadlines, many bugs, etc. is a result of poor technological management.

Worked for MEDecision? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MEDecision reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MEDecision CEO Deborah M. Gage. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by MEDecision employees.