MEMC Electronic Materials

MEMC Electronic Materials President, CEO, and Director Ahmad R. Chatila

Ahmad R. Chatila

Awesome ,cool,Mega nice place

Saws (Former Employee) Sherman, TX

ProsExcellent atmosphere to working with excellent fellow employees

ConsLong hours , materials logistics were slow and not smoothly handle

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen MEMC South. West back again

Employees wear many hats and work hard, but management decisions are questionable, at best.

ProsChallenging environment. From a technical perspective, I have worked on a broad array of projects and learned a lot. Great work, good pay and decent work life balance.

ConsManagement decisions are slow to reality and cause excessive losses to pile up before they decide that things are going bad and that they need to cut back. Then, by the time they cut back, the business turns around and they need to ramp up again and they are slow to ramp up and lose business because they can't ramp fast enough. Then, it cycles again. Never ending.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions more quickly.

A very good job in a bad location

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe R&D team is very strong and most people know what they are talking about. The managers are efficient and helpful.

ConsThe area the company is located is in the middle of nowhere. It is even difficult to find good food for lunch. The companies financial status is not stable and this job is not secure.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

ProsExcellent people. Pleasent working relationships.

ConsAlways busy on firefirghting. No longterm strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementVision must be clear

Excellent learning opportunity in new industries

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosstrong technical presence in the market place

Constroubled by industry tough and changing dynamics

Good Experience

ProsVery international company and a lot of opportunities there

ConsSome areas are not that well organized

tough times ahead in US and Europe

Proswell paid especially given location
    good people
    interesting work

Consvolatile field and difficult to predict future
    it is not clear if MEMC will continue to be a major player in semi field
    MEMC has taken a markedly different direction recently by moving upstream in solar - which parts will it keep/shed/grow?

pro

Prosmanagement is brilliant and respected

Conswork life balance is non existent across the board

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in people and systems ... so people don't have to sacrifice life for results

General Feedback

ProsExcellent technical R&D leadership resources. Culture transformation is a positive. Company has strong core of technical leadership to help drive roadmap.

ConsSolar Materials division of corporation may have the biggest upside but the weakest management. Recent changes may be an improvement but yet to be seen. P&L prospective is too dominant to allow efficient development of the technologies and those whom challenge status quo and the poor decision for the organization on a whole are not embraced or encouraged to bring constructive counter argument. There are plenty of senior managers still remaining whom do not understand the technology they involved with and seldom consult those who do in critical technology and operational related decisions making. Likely organizational inefficiencies will continue in the matrixed organization with the current senior management. Probably need to move out some of those Solyandra managers that they picked up in the last year would be a good start.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace counter argument and encourage data driven decision making instead of short term wins to meet a weekly/monthly reports. Cycle times of the technology involved are discrete in nature and do not fill into weekly and monthly reports well for proper charterization.

Pays well, works you hard, and R&D is infallible

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Saint Peters, MO

ProsIf you are based in St. Peters the pay is nice. Coastal wages in the heartland. On the solar side there are some neat new technologies they are working on.

ConsWork life balance is awful. With overseas facilities about 12 hours ahead of us, you are on the phone late at night and early in the morning.
    At the time I was there the R&D team was still inexperienced with certain processes and they were not open to listening to non PHD engineers who did have the experience. Management supported the superiority of R&D.
    Very high turn over in corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know times are lean, but think beyond the next quarter when making decisions. Engineers without PHD's can help solve manufacturing issues too.

Worked for MEMC Electronic Materials? Contribute to the Community!