MEMC Electronic Materials

www.sunedisonsilicon.com
Profile Unclaimed

A very good job in a bad location

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials full-time

Pros

The R&D team is very strong and most people know what they are talking about. The managers are efficient and helpful.

Cons

The area the company is located is in the middle of nowhere. It is even difficult to find good food for lunch. The companies financial status is not stable and this job is not secure.

MEMC is not a company to be

Former Employee - Auditor in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Auditor in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at MEMC Electronic Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I don't have any nice thing to say about this company

Cons

Company culture is awfull especially the top management

Awesome ,cool,Mega nice place

Former Contractor - Saws in Sherman, TX
    Former Contractor - Saws in Sherman, TX

I worked at MEMC Electronic Materials as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent atmosphere to working with excellent fellow employees

Cons

Long hours , materials logistics were slow and not smoothly handle

Open MEMC South. West back again

Lot of potential but a absolute mess

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials

Pros

Lot of promise and potential if proper actions are taken
    Good salary

Cons

Bad communications among groups
    Politics
    No tools

Look beyond short term focus

Behind the curve all the way

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials

Pros

Great folks to work with. Nice and quiet location away from the hustle and bustle of the mainstream St. Louis work areas. Great pay if your a senior level executive.

Cons

IT has great people but no leadership. They have a great leader but they give him no power. Everyone can walk all over literally anyone in IT as they are treated like dirt. They don't spend a dime on IT. Projects are on and off again like changing your shoes. Same applies to IT budget/IT spend. Over a year to make a SharePoint decision. SAP decisions are a joke and not worth mentioning from the standpoint of executive leadership not having a clue and a half. Their SAP support people consist of six or seven people and literally support the world! They get no support, no thanks, are treated worst than, well, need I go further?

The MEMC CEO has got to go. He is completely missing the boat when it comes to IT. He won't be able to compete because he doesn't have a clue about the strategic or tactical nature that IT plays in moving the company forward. Stop cutting costs on IT. The new CFO also has no clue either. They're going to have to spend the money eventually. May as well do it right. The IT group needs to be elevated up in the food chain. Way up! Its a very poorly run company.

Terrible, absolutely aweful. What a bad, bad place to work.

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials

Pros

Competitive pay and a non-downtown Location

Cons

Everything is bad. There is a non-existent work-life balance. Terrible office conditions. Moral is horrific. Complete lack of training and unreasonable expectations. This place is a sweat shop. If you read this, RUN!!! I wish I had.

Change the culture and appreciate your employees by promoting a positive work-life balance and give them tools to succeed while setting attainable goals.

Great Place If You Are An Executive

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials

Pros

Growing company - if the stock analysts would wake up and realize that:
    1) We make wafers that "chip" companies buy -- we are not a "chip" company.
    2) We are not a semiconductor equipment company.
    3) We are the only completely vertically integrated solar company there is - from making poly to selling solar power.

Cons

Executives are highly compensated, and get good contracts to pay them well if they get fired. Unfortunately, only Execs get the high salaries and perks, and the only way to become a VP or higher is to get hired in from current execs' companies, or to be lucky enough to be in the Execs' little circle of friends. For the rest of the Managers, Directors, and Senior Directors (new title made up to avoid letting you be a VP), you work tons of hours, have to fly coach all the time, and get small, shrinking bonuses based on impossible goals.

Recognize and reward the middle management. We do most of the work, and you get all of the benefits.

Find the real root causes of errors and fix or eliminate the problem. There are too many scapegoats used to protect certain execs.

Remember that Manufacturing makes the bad products. Blame them for once!

OK company, have worked for worse.

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Saint Peters, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials

Pros

Strong technical foundation and industry leader. Appears to be forward thinking again instead of playing for margins on the quarterly figures as old CEO did. Attempting to reestablish itself as the dominant semiconductor supplier again. Appears to have good strategy but execution is still not proven yet.

Cons

Company is in transition of senior management from two years earlier and is attempting to develop a new company culture but communication is poor in these efforts. Company attempts to infor it's employee's with news letters which is poor medium.

Keep your professional employee's informed. Little on company strategy and role in execution is revealed beloe the diector level.

MEMC is a place to make money get some valuable experience and move on.

I have been working at MEMC Electronic Materials

Pros

Overall the pay is pretty high, For salary people the overall work experience is satisfactory. It's pretty hard to get fired.

Cons

I would not work here as an hourly person. Sick days the first 2 are at no pay. The Pasadena site has a scary process.

Management knows they have a moral problem the turnover is pretty high especially for skilled craft. I really think management is trying to make MEMC a better place to work.

Stay away from MEMC

Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Sherman, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Sherman, TX

I worked at MEMC Electronic Materials

Pros

The actual employees, and generally first line supervisors, are all decent folks. Benefits (insurance, etc) were not too bad and the salary was competitive.

Cons

The regular shutdowns and forced PTO meant that it was crazy to go on vacation.

There was a complete lack of growth opportunity at MEMC, other than perhaps for some of the engineers But overall things were so bad that nobody advanced, nobody's career grew, nobody learned anything.

It boils down to total mismanagement by Nabeel and the upper management.

MEMC is just a horrible place to work overall. STAY AWAY.

Great job saving MEMC from bankruptcy, but don't you think it's time to ease up a bit?