MFA Boston

Add Photos

Malcolm Rogers

Great benefits/Poor pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere, fun place to work, always changing

ConsLittle opportunity for growth. Minimal family loyalty

Worth the time!

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat connections, personable staff, ability to ask questions and learn from professionals

ConsNo pay no matter your experience

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you're working as a volunteer for free make sure that you make known your time available and keep in contact regularly

Good experience

Education (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Well-organized projects for interns.
    - Friendly staffs and welcoming atmosphere
    - People really appreciate what you do for them

Cons- Lack of job opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enriching opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGetting to know the amazing art collection in this behind-the-scenes way was a wonderful privilege. Everyone in the department was nice and very interesting to talk to. My tasks were varied, I learned a lot, and there were several opportunities/events just for interns, which was appreciated.

ConsI really enjoyed my internship except for my supervisor, who was the most anal and demanding person I have ever had the displeasure to meet. She took the internship WAY too seriously, and I was always terrified for our weekly meetings (again, way too seriously) in which she seemed to take joy in making me feel lowly and inept. I wish having provided free labor for several months would result in at least an acknowledgment of the several job applications I've submitted since.

Pleasant Experience

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA good opportunity to understand museum marketing. Coworkers were nice.
    I liked it especially when I had some time to walk the museum looking for inspiration for marketing materials.

ConsNo full-time or part-time job opportunity after internship.

Work at MFA

Department Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNice art collection and attractive buildings.

ConsTerrible work environment. Difficult people, bad pay.

Awesome Experience

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosas an intern you get great access to the museum and how it runs

Consno chance of advancement after internship

Overall, great place to work

Department Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWonderful people. Great perks in addition to traditional benefits like free or discounted admission to museum events. Casual work environment and dress code. Nice to work at a place with great name recognition that people enjoy and respect.

Flexible hours (varies by dept.; must be approved by your dept manager); the museum has "core hours" for the middle chunk of the day when all employees are required to be working in the office so that everyone has a period where their in-office hours overlap, but many managers seemed open to allowing employees to shift their schedules to come in earlier and leave earlier or vice versa.

Lots of ability to shift around to new roles one you've been hired. This was something I was told in the interview and was pleased to see that it was actually the case. Lots of people have been there for many years and held many different roles.

ConsNot many! I my role, I worked with most people over email only; there are people that I worked with frequently who I never actually met in person. This may be the case with many larger companies, but I had worked only at smaller companies where you knew peoples' names AND faces, so that was kind of a bummer.

Not a lot of opportunity to wear many hats in your role; roles were pretty specific and there wasn't a lot of encouragement to branch out and learn new things if someone else in the dept. already handles it. This may vary by dept., and although a con for me, may not be to others.

Although there was a lot of opportunity for movement within the organization, opportunities for actual advancement in your dept can be limited Each dept. only has maybe 3 "levels" of roles, so unless someone else leaves there can be limited opportunity to move straight up.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing specific - overall I had a great experience there.

Great experience

Development Officer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsColleagues, learning, hours, the cause

ConsSlow pace of nonprofits overall

The MFA Boston is an excellent place to work and learn.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe museum boasts a special culture that fosters creativity and learning in one of the country's most well-respected institutional/educational environments. I would say it's truly an enjoyable working experience, allowing one to participate in the preservation and exhibition of famous and esoteric arts spanning all media from across the globe.

ConsThere are few negative things to say about interning at the MFA. Perhaps, a stipend for travel would be appreciated by the many students offering their time to the museum.

Worked for MFA Boston? Contribute to the Community!