MFA - Columbia, MO

Bill Streeter
1 Rating

1. Fertilizer plant Manger

I worked at MFA - Columbia, MO

Pros

Outside work, learning all the outlets of the company

Cons

Employees take advantage of you and want you to do their grunt work if your not careful and too nice.

2. They make money in spite of themselves, Questionable accounting practices, myopic management

I worked at MFA - Columbia, MO full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours. After the 5th year you start getting a fair amount of time off. Standard weekly schedule in 37.5 hours because you only work from 8 - 4:45.

Cons

Business processes developed in the 60's which the company is unwilling to change to meet today's changing needs. Company is controlled by accountants to the detriment of best business practices. Lots of office politics and strife. Hard to tell who is really in charge, and oftentimes it felt like the least competent.

Advice to Management

Set company policies that are enforced throughout. Stop allowing the retail stores to dictate how the business will be run. Allow the business units to control methodology instead of the accountants.

MFA, Mostly a good place to work.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Columbia, MO

I have been working at MFA - Columbia, MO

Pros

Depending on the department you work in there are many great things. Most areas have been very good at promoting from within. Most areas are good about letting you take time off when you need to. We have only personal time, so depending on how long you have worked here you get allot of time to take off paid. Very good about paying for further education if you want to go to school, and most departments will let you do some of your school work during working hours if your job is slow at that time. We all have busy times but I don't think people are over worked all the time. During busy seasons for each area some people have to work overtime. We have an Employee Activity Association that does things for the people here in the home office, get discount tickets for water/theme parks, puts on a nice Christmas dinner, and some smaller meals thought the year.

Cons

The human resources department leaves some thing to be desired allot of the time. Most people feel like they can't go to human resources with their concerns. And if they do most people know what went on behind the closed doors very shortly after. Our health insurance is not good, it's more like if everything goes wrong with your health, maybe you won't go bankrupt insurance. There seem to be different rules for different groups of people, some departments can get away with murder and others are picked at over small things. The dress code is not well enforced. It is frustrating trying to work in an environment where some are allowed to act like children while the rest of the adults are trying to accomplish something.

Advice to Management

I think if you should enforce the rules that you have set in place. Make Human resources more approachable, and make sure that if you talk to some on there that what you say is confidential. Also make sure that people who are hired are put there because of what they know.

RSS Feed </> Embed