MGA Entertainment

Updated September 23, 2014
2.4

MGA Entertainment CEO Isaac Larian
Isaac Larian

What you think is what you create

Former Employee - Brand Manager  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is all about opportunity and taking risk, if you want to be part of something great, and feel like you're making an impact this is the. The company takes the team to Disneyland at the end of a hard worked showroom, the company has a beautiful cafeteria that was recently built, they have a Pilates class 2x a week and bagels every Friday to name a few. The company cares about the teams and

Cons

Like every company, and in life in general... if you sit in sorrow and focus on the negative that's what it will be like for you. Your insecurities are your responsibility. The only thing is sometimes people get lost in politics, but be better than that and you'll thrive. So my advice for you is focus on the business, you control your attitude. I loved it here and highly recommend it to anyone who is a positive and passionate person.

Communicate, empower your team, support them, lead by example, and make sure your team feels like part of the team. Under promise and over deliver. Continue to learn new things and bring them to the table. Collaborate and inspire. Put people where they thrive, if they love what they do; they'll often do it even better.

There is no real future here or for this company

Current Employee - Product Design Development  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Product Design Development in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay check, casual dress, no weekends

Cons

It is really sad. This could be a great work environment it is after all a toy company. But you will be beaten down, blamed for things you had nothing to do with, good ideas ignored, unprofitable avenues explored. It seems the company is not really meant to succeed. The CEO owns most of it and drains everything out. There is no money for raises, no money for bonuses, no money for resources yet he is living very well. If you come up with a good product, they will take it from you and ruin it

Hope you all have a golden parachute. You cannot go on losing good people and keeping those who do not have the brains, talent or skills

Please read and understand!

I have been working at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Please know that I am a current employee of this company and writing to make sure that if you have a great background that you don't ruin your career by coming to MGA.

There are no positives at all. All of the so called "positive" reviews are from his PR department and from his long time employees who have been able to withstand working for him for over the years.

Cons

This is an extremely difficult company to work and with. You have to have no place else to go and a family to feed to take this job. Please know that they way you take the job is not going to be the way it ends. There is probably already talk of letting you go and you don't even have a clue.

I could go department by department but it's not necessary. Every one is over worked and underpaid (except the new marketing folks WHO ARE JUST OVERWORKED).

Just keep looking and if you take this job please know that you will work hard and it's a mess from head to toe with little to no resources of doing your job successfully.

If you need a job, go ahead and take it but it will end miserably Watch your career carefully. .

This company has no values, and no culture. The moral has increased but it's still a challenge to work here. This is just not my opinion, reach out to people who previously or currently work at this company to find out for yourself.

It doesn't matter what the current management says, the owner still has the final say and when it seems he is not in control, trust me he will step in and start "wrecking shop"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A centrifuge of spirit-killing, creativity-stifling, smug mediocrity.

Former Employee - Web Development  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Web Development in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met a few great people there. All who left.

Cons

First, don't believe the planted positive reviews. Especially, since some of those execs who were pressured into writing those reviews were fired or left since posting them. Current MGA employees, don't believe the lies that MGA management is telling you that Glassdoor provides them with the ip addresses of those who post negative reviews, or that they've traced them. I checked with Glassdoor. They don't. How stupid does MGA think you are? Oh that's right...as stupid as they are.

Second, don't buy that current or former employees who post negative reviews are bitter. Those of us who post negative reviews are doing so out of moral and civic obligation. Kind of like, don't go near that bush, there's a rattlesnake in there. MGA is such a terrible workplace, it would just be wrong to not warn unsuspecting people to stay clear.

Gosh, where do I start? MGA pays an abysmal salary compared to industry standards. The company has terrible leadership from the CEO down and incompetent, vindictive, reactionary management. The place is filled with short-sighted, unqualified people in power positions, nepotism is abundant, leaders are technologically inept and because of all the former, the staff is unmotivated.

This place is 20 years behind everyone else in their way of thinking, working and creating. The CEO's family comes first, and employees come not second, but last. It is his policy to not give promotions or let employees transfer to other departments where they would be happier and more beneficial to the company. And no, it won't be different for you, so silence that voice telling you so. Ignore the positive reviews of those who have worked over 10 years, as they are the outdated dinosaurs who couldn't get a job anywhere else.

On top of that, the corporate headquarters are based in the armpit of Los Angeles, Van Nuys, CA. Dingy, depressing working conditions, unless you like filthy facilities and huge cockroaches. You know that feeling you get when you walk into the DMV? That's MGA.

Don't even think of working here. Your resume, portfolio and spirit will suffer. To make it easy for you, here's a little cheat sheet. MGA = Must Get Away.

Quit hiring your inept family members and putting them in power positions. Recognize that you've set up a culture of animosity between departments and caused terrible morale. Please tell your unqualified family members, who live in ostentatious, palatial mansions in Beverly Hills, to stop harassing employees about things like whether the company bought the Kleenexes on their desk.

Starts at the top

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no positives working with this company. The only positive is a paycheck.

Cons

People are leaving this company weekly. No matter how much you change management it is the leader of the company, the CEO, which makes this company the worst to work for. He doesn't care how he talks to people and he thinks because you have a paycheck you will be loyal. Everyone is overworked and mostly underpaid. Your career will suffer your résumé will suffer

The CEO needs to step back completely. He is the reason why people leave but blames it on others.

Set up to fail.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have seen many strong, capable, creative people come through MGA over the years with the best intensions to make things better and help the company grow. They come with great experience and proven success in toy, retail, sales, marketing, PR, licensing, entertainment, etc. industries but are not given the opportunity to succeed and do not stay.

Cons

This is a very bad company and I strong recommend that you read all the reviews carefully. I strongly agree with a current and former employees regarding a large number of recently posted "potentially" company promoted "fake" reviews.

At MGA, the CEO controls everything and unfortunately, he has no morals. He has no desire to create a healthy, respectful and productive place to work. He will scream at you if you don't give the answer he wants and will lie and blame his employees to protect his inability to lead.

The company has no long term or strategic plans, has a "make it up as you go" corporate structure, and it's only focused on the here and now. There is no communication within the organization so divisions and employees are working against against each other which creates conflict and sets people up to fail. The lack of structure and fear of being fired has created a cut throat environment of opportunists who don't see the value in working together as they only protect themselves. The CEO has hired outside consulting firms to evaluate the business and the company only to disregard their recommendations when it's stated that he's the reason the company can't sustain long-term success or retain employees.

In addition, the CEO has hired a number of executives to manage operations of the company but this is just a facade. He does not relinquish responsibilities and is involved in every minor decision. If his decision is bad or in most cases, not thought out at all, he blames or fires the executives, employees or anyone he feels like at that moment.

The company has a terrible reputation in the market. Numerous HR, recruiters and hiring managers for toy, retail, and entertainment based companies litterally have laughed when I mentioned that I worked at MGA. This will be a black mark on your resume so I would research and think long and hard before joining.

The CEO has brought in numerous people to manage the company over the years but it is he, and he alone, who runs it. Until the CEO sells the company, it will continue to fail.

Not everyone's cup of tea. But loyalty pays.

I have been working at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy access to senior management, good salary/benefits, creative team, company is poised for strong growth. CEO Isaac Larian is a strong, smart, and a great leader. I find him personable and down to earth. This company is very creative.

Cons

Unprofessional, high politics, internal conflicts between departments, dysfunctional teams. Overtime you will get used to it.

Every company has both good and bad. None are the same. Concentrate on making money and grow, this will keep your employees. If they don't like it, they have the option to leave, no one is forcing them to stay.

chaotic & mismanaged company from the CEO down.

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Financial Planning  in  Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Financial Planning in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll find that you get to work with some of the better creative people in the industry. The creative teams always push out product and ideas from being over worked (practically enslaved) under the reigns of the CEO. I can say with confidence that they bring in new talent all the time; however this usually comes at the sacrifice of current employees and their security. I'm a current manager and have been with MGA for 3 years - in this time I've seen people come and go at the whim of the CEO. I choose to write something here rather than voice something to fellow colleagues as voicing your opinion will most definitely lead to termination.

Cons

A word of caution to those considering a position with the company. There are plenty of fake reviews here - some of the Great / Fantastic reviews about the CEO and company were actually at the mandate of the CEO. For example - One review writes: "CEO Isaac Larian is a strong, smart, and a great leader. I find him personable and down to earth." I can tell you that in working with him for the past 3 years, Isaac Larian is not only childish, he is also very unprofessional and will say a lot of inappropriate things behind your back. I've sat in plenty of meetings with Isaac and Senior Buyers from the big 4 US Retailers (WalMart, Toys' R Us, Target, Kmart), and can personally attest to the fact that he will make promises on top of promises, which he will then take back when it is convenient for him.

Employees who have been with the company for a while (5+ years) can feel safe. But one of the biggest concerns I have with MGA is that for most new employees, you really have to be careful with the stability. The company is trigger happy when it comes to letting people go just to bring in new head count.

I would suggest that more executives and managers work more closely with the people in their respective silos. Biggest concerns about the company are the stability and benefits of the company. Work to help improve the work environment.

Lala Loco Land!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time

Pros

There are actually some great people that works there; Those that stay beyond 5 years probably are pretty loyal; Retail products have a positive impact on young children.

Cons

way too disorganized; directions of projects change way too often; there seems to be way too many "running" changes, changes are made and expectation is to still meet the original production start date; it is always a frantic "i need this now" environment, well if you had planned better or made a decision sooner, you wouldn't be in a "i need this now" mode; the turnover at the "executive" level is ridiculous, as a result this "revolving door" simply puts executives into nice corner offices and nothing really gets improved, it gets worse; these incoming executives all think they can "change" the process and make things better, after all, they are "executives", right? it turns out that they are just six figure monetary drain on a company that already cannot give raises to its existing employees; i have never seen so much dilution of what normally are prestigious VP, SVP and EVP professional titles; this company has devalued these titles so much its embarrassing; then there are the handful that have jobs there simply because of familial ties, they simply are just inexperienced dead weights; there are no advancement opportunities at the manager level; the morale there sucks and the folks in charge of improving the morale are clueless. they send these emails about programs that improves morale but only just further alienate folks; ask anyone about the infamous vacation hours/ sick hours usage; lets see, what else? oh, ask someone there about the new system that was being implemented. what a joke and nightmare that was; unbelievable amount of money just flushed down the toilet; its back to the "evaluating" stage; maybe the "executive" involved would've thought about doing the "evaluating" at the beginning of the project; oh wait, the "executive" in charge of that mess resigned mid way through, probably realizing the debacle that they created.

get organized, stop talking about plans, figure out what the plan is and start executing those plans; stop changing directions every half day it seems like; try promoting from within instead of bringing in high priced outsiders who don’t know anything about your company

One big unhappy dysfunctional family

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good medical, dental, vision benefits. 401k with employer matching. New cafe with free fresh fruits and free coffee drinks. Vending machines with healthy options. Occasional food trucks come to the office. Free Pilates offered a few times a week on campus.

Cons

Unfortunately MGA continues to be mismanaged. I am so surprised that the company has managed to stay afloat with the way things are run. Even though I loved my actual job, all of the disorganization around me leaked into my job and made it very difficult to stay motivated and positive. In my years at MGA I saw many top level executives come and go. One minute you are on Isaac's good side and he agrees with all of your decisions and suggestions, then he gets tired of you and you are out. Either you get let go or you will leave, it can take one month to two years. The executive (VP and up) positions have a lot of turn around. Every time a new set of higher ups are brought on they are told they need to "fix" and "change" things. While it's true MGA does need a lot of improvement, the way the changes are brought about is terrible. Major decisions are made without consulting the people that actually manage the affected departments.

Examples, agency hired to take over a project that an internal team already made good progress on--without consulting anyone who manages the internal team. A team within a department moved to another department without first discussing with the VP and manager of the original department.

There is a lot of miscommunication that continues to happen. Groups are expected to start on projects when there are very few set in stone major decisions made. This causes the look and feel of things to not be cohesive and also causes the need to backtrack and redo things once a decision is confirmed.

I don't know what it will take to get MGA running like a normal functioning company. Isaac needs to stop playing favorites and stop hiring on family members who have little to no experience or interest in the business. There are lots of smart and creative people working for Isaac. They want to do well and can do so much more with their talents. They need an environment where they can thrive and not be suffocated. People in non-creative roles need to not give their input on creative projects. Isaac needs to stop sending insulting emails about how anyone can do your job, even your young niece and nephew, "just Google it." Instead of putting people down he should help them flourish.

Sadly, all the negative stuff you find on Glassdoor is true. When I saw the sudden surge of positive reviews I just knew they were all fake. Especially the one that says one of the cons is they can't bring their dog to work. There are very few major business offices where that is allowed! How can anyone take that feedback seriously?

Don't apply for a job here unless you are entry level and need to gain some experience. Then get out!

Once you find a group of good executives who make sense, don't chase them away. Let them stay long enough so they can see their changes and processes through. Otherwise it continues to be a jumbled mess. Stop hiring family just for the sake of giving them jobs. The problems start at the top and trickle down.

Worked for MGA Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!