MGA Entertainment Reviews

Reset
2.2
MGA Entertainment CEO Isaac Larian
Isaac Larian

Pros
  • Casual dress code, people on the same level are nice and helpful, lots of resources for designers and model makers in the building (in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people here, but they are overshadowed by the tirades of Isaac Larian and the inabilities of his new senior staff (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The last several years have been rough and we need to get back to raises and bonuses (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management slow in making decisions (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I Love coming to work at MGA Everyday; Everyday is new

Current Employee - Sales in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at MGA Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in career adjustments Supportive Management Goal Oriented Organization Good perks and benefits

Cons

Minor inefficiencies leading to redundancy in workload.

Advice to Management

When I started with MGA, i was working at a Marketing Associate. I have been here about 4 years now and have been fortunate enough to switch positions and into roles such as Intl Marketing Coordinator, Intlo Sales Rep, Intl Bus development Manager and Sales Manager. MGA has been great in ensuring I don't get bored here by keeping things new and giving me new projects to work on. As far as politics is concerned, whenever I had a problem with management, I just went to HR. Both the HR personnel in Ohio and in LA talked to my managers in those cases and resolved them to make the issue go away. They really do care about the work conditions so if you are having an issue with someone at the company, your best bet is to go to them; they will help you out; and that includes the CEO. Isaac himself sends out numerous emails whenever rumors start circulating, and he is strict. Basically, he doesnt want gossip on his campus.

Senior Brand manager

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

really encouraged their employees to be creative, departments really worked as teams. It was fun to go to work...on most days.

Cons

workload really piled up. it was heard to feel heard through the levels of management. nothing ever changed and if it did it was for the worse.

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, let them feel heard. they give up so much. other than that it was a nice company to work for,

So sad to see how fake the Positive Reviews are

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Hills, CA

I have been working at MGA Entertainment (More than a year)

Pros

amazing creative people, fun industry, toys. how can you not love it?

Cons

CEO is awful and creates the most toxic environment there is. Constantly yelling and complaining about results, even though he is the one who makes all the decisions. He will blame the employees if things are not going well. And he will take all the credit when things are positive. I can assure you that all positive reviews were written by his family members and few trusted staff. I worked with one of them and I can tell from his review how manipulated he was to post this review. SAD.

Advice to Management

Isaac, it's time to play golf and retire. Stop posting positive reviews when you know MGA sucks.

Needs improvement

I worked at MGA Entertainment

Pros

Great co-workers, creative work and good benefits.

Cons

Culture suffered greatly from poor management; Relationships and communication were weak, particularly between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Work on developing a culture of trust.

Great people to work with horrible management

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, lots of talented designers. Free bagels on Friday.

Cons

Horrible management, terrible time management. Only family members get promotion/raise. Rest of the employees won't get any raise or bonus for their dedicated hard work.

Advice to Management

If you can't make decisions in time and make rest of the team suffer, you shouldn't be in that position. Stop being a drama queen and do your job.

Potentially great brands and products, but negative/unhealthy work environment and very low rating for CEO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Van Nuys, CA

I have been working at MGA Entertainment full-time

Pros

You can cover a lot more responsibilities and tackle more projects if you choose The brands themselves are great, and products are innovative

Cons

especially in this company, the company culture and all company strategies/actions come down to the CEO. they have been trying to hire great management and employees who want to improve the way things are done, but unfortunately the CEO/owner himself will always perpetuate a very unhealthy/negative work environment where you are constantly watching your back, people are deflecting responsibility and blame, being forced to follow the CEO's wishes even if they're not smart business decisions, and paranoia about your job

No work life balance

I have been working at MGA Entertainment

Pros

You will be surrounded by motivate people all who want to do their job well. Unfortunately these people are motivated by fear of loosing their job.

Cons

You'll be there until all hours of the night and if you aren't there will be consequences for not meeting expectations. Expect to work at minimum 10-12 hours a day in any position.

Advice to Management

be kind to your employees

WORST JOB EVER. PERIOD.

I worked at MGA Entertainment

Pros

They do pay you and they do offer benefits. Honestly thats about it. I would consider about any other employment option above this option.

Cons

1) Morally compromising environment: I've seen some really great people make immoral decisions under pressure. It's very clearly a dog eat dog world at MGA. If you don't want to be put on the chopping block than, you sure better throw someone else under the bus It's a very toxic place to work and brings the worst out of people who I know deep down are good people at heart. 2) Terrible employee treatment, boarder line unethical: When you arrive on you first day at MGA after receiving a formal written offer letter, signing it, and quitting a previous position, MGA's HR will still you down to fill out an application to the job that you have already accepted... That's right they offered you a position that you never legally applied for. They do this to everyone on their first day. I seriously don't even think this is legal, but this this type of behavior is very typical of MGA. 3) Work life balance: Non-existent. If you work through dinner everyday, you should consider yourself lucky. I seen everyone from VP level to Entry level sit at their desks and cry because of the lack of work life balance. Literally cry. 4) Location: Terrible office located in the Van Nuys, the Arm Pit of America, with a secondary location in Chatsworth. Horrible commute up the 405. Their office is dingy and old. If you aren't lucky enough to have an office (Director level and above) you'll sit in a cube with no sunlight and no windows.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can and still have a choice before Isaac gets sick of you.

Too Many Cooks

I have been working at MGA Entertainment

Pros

Interesting work, lots of ownership, cool industry, days fly by...

Cons

Too many masters to serve, no clear vision for success, minimal work/life balance

Advice to Management

Define success, align on plan to get there and then let your people do their thing.

Once a great place to work!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at MGA Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The overall belief system of the company is great, the building the company from the ground up and getting your employees involved is wonderful. The benefits are good, could still improve.

Cons

Once upon a time working for MGA was great, fun, and rewarding. But as time went on and personalities changed, people's sexual orientations we exposed, the opinions of those in hire positions changed , which then trickled down to lack of allowing people to do their jobs or belief in that person. The owner has no idea of the mismanagement and illegal unethical shenanigans that goes on at his outside facilities. Unlawful acts, that could have his company shut down. Raises are not frequent.

Advice to Management

Directors: Grow some balls and listen to your supervisors and managers. We have great ideas, are hard workers and and here for the betterment of the company, despite what you may think. We have brains, an education to back it up and thought processes.

RSS Feed </> Embed