MGH Institute of Health Professions

CEO

1. graduate assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dorchester, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dorchester, MA

I worked at MGH Institute of Health Professions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers very friendly and competent, good resources, access to lots of professional development activities in Boston, got to know more staff and professors as a GA during school there

Cons

had to graduate and start the profession I trained for

Advice to Management

More interdepartment team meetings

2. Nursing student

Pros

Faculty did a great job in the selection process of future nurses coming from diverse academic backgrounds that they can foresee will excel in their academic and in their clinical rotations in the best hospitals in Boston.

Cons

Faculties exposes us to lots of online discussion on health policy, nursing research, case analysis but wish there were more clinical practical training hours so that we can put immediate value in the our first nursing job position. In this competitive world, hospitals shun upon new grads because of the time involve in training so wish we had more clinical training.

3. Amazing Place

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at MGH Institute of Health Professions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work ethics High Employee benefits Summer: Fridays off Small environment so you know most of the staff

Cons

Requires skills to work in a busy environment Ability to deal with students

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!

5. A ever-chaning administrative structure with top down decision -making

Former Employee - Faculty- Assistant Professor
    Former Employee - Faculty- Assistant Professor

I worked at MGH Institute of Health Professions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong student pool and faculty colleagues

Cons

Lack of a true academic structure and resources to support scholarship development

Advice to Management

Affiliation or merger with another institution of higher education would help stabilize the Institute and open up doors

6. Great friendly and warm place to work

Current Intern - Graduate Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Graduate Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at MGH Institute of Health Professions as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Small and cosy place. People are very helpful and welcoming. Lots on on campus happenings to give variety for a work week.

Cons

Not too many opportunities to grow within the organization

the MGH Institute of Health Professions suffers from bad administration

Current Employee - Faculty in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Faculty in Boston, MA

I have been working at MGH Institute of Health Professions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Faculty are genuinely nice and collegial.

Cons

Administration in the past two years have undermined the wonderful work environment but deception. self-serving agendas, and refusing to acknowledge the stresses that our rapid growth has produced. Admin is being driven by lust for profit, regardless of what happens to the people.

8. No repect for trainees, lot of attitude among senior doctors.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Some of the best doctors and outstanding infrastructure.

Cons

Aa lot of attitude in terms of we are the best, which is not true for all specialities.

Advice to Management

There are many outstanding institutes for advanced training all over the country so better get you feet on the ground.

9. Faculty Perspectives on MGH Institute of Health Professions

Current Employee - Professor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Professor in Boston, MA

Pros

Strong collegial support Robust commitment to, and value placed on, teaching Meritocracy Openness to new ideas & solutions Vibrant and growing High standards and expectations for achievement Commitment to technology-savvy education Extraordinarily strong physical therapy and speech-language pathology programs given that the MGH Institute of Health Professions does not yet support a PhD program.

Cons

Small endowment results in over-dependence on tuition, larger class sizes, more work for instructors Small endowment also results in small number of scholarships to draw under-represented minorites, which are greatly needed in the health professions.

Advice to Management

Increase size of endowment to allow for more scholarships to attract historically under-represented minorities Increase faculty salaries so that they reflect our national and international status

MGH Institute of Health Professions -- Low Pay, but Otherwise Great Place to Work and Teach.

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Boston, MA

Pros

The environment is stimulating intellectually Across the board there is appreciation for our teaching and for our role in mentoring students. The relationship with Mass General Hospital allows for research and clinical contacts. The Institute employs and makes available advanced uses of teaching technologies (simulations, distance learning platform, et cetera). The social environment is supportive and upbeat. The benefits package is strong.

Cons

The pay is low -- I have worked there 16 years, brought in the largest federal grant that has flowed through the Institute, and my pay, after deductions for taxes and benefits is $55K. Historically management has not received 360 degree evaluations, just top-down from the President, but the new president has listened to the faculty and has announced that bottom-up evaluations will be incorporated moving forward.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for faculty who are highly productive.

RSS Feed </> Embed