MGIS Companies

Add Photos

Jeffrey D. Brunken

Quality company with compassionate CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work culture, family oriented environment, good benefits and generous profit sharing plan

ConsTurnover in recent years is high. Travel is extensive in sales roles, large territories to cover.

unresponsive slow company with high turn around and "stalled" service to clients due to horrible management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable paycheck as long as you can stay under the radar and not accept blame.

ConsGuilt for working at the company and thinking it would be something different from the others. There are lots of good people here but it only takes a few to really ruin a company. Many at the company accept no responsibility and blame clients or other colleagues for slow work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHouse cleaning should be done ASAP! Fire fire fire.

I feel it necessary to be fair, but truthful - the last comment is not accurate...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsTruly does have open-door policy (necessary with only 70-ish employees). More recently, more employees are encouraged to better interact with ownership through lunch meet-and-greet type programs.

Attempts to create cross-training with MGIS Academy and other opportunities were a wonderful idea - but, unfortunately, it was not lasting (simply faded away) and not a successful implementation.

Company truly does work to support its brokers and reps, educating and fostering them with training and knowledge to become better versed with LTD products

The office space is not "overdone" - could never say that money was being wasted on the office itself being too overly fancy or uneccessary in prestige. It wasn't shabby, and updates were made when needed - I do credit them with tyring to be reasonable with surroundings in order to invest in other areas.

The company has received a couple BEST PLACE TO WORK awards (as have many others) - but it's something the employees feel quite obligated to do as employees. Take it for what it's worth, just another opinion, but trying to be truly fair and honest with a balance of pros and cons.

ConsNo room for advancement due to low turnover is simply not true. The company perhaps cannot support more advancement of positions, as it is now very lean (not a large heirarchy)... HOWEVER, there is CERTAINLY high turnover at MGIS. I've witnessed quite the opposite in a relatively short time - including a single, large layoff which eliminated half the workforce (it used to numer nearly 150). New management and new positions have come from outside sources.

Outsourced consulting is too heavily relied upon, at the expense of overlooking, or eliminating valuable internal resources.

Times are tight all over; but money is being spent on some very unneccessarily expensive outsourcing while the few employee perks are cut back more each year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand the need to promote the company through social media, but the feeling that that previous review was far overdone (with the "cons" answer being far too contrived as a textbook answer to an interviewer's "what is your greatest weakness") is just not realistic or fair.

Look within. You've lost some of your most valuable players and supporters while simply looking outside at inefficient and expensive resources. At the same time, you're overlooking some very serious issues with existing managers who aren't competent and are causing more damage by the day.

Practice what you preach. As nearly every company can be guilty, MGIS is trying to espouse values best found in organizational behaviour courses at Harvard Business School, while practicing the opposite. If you can watch 'Office Space' and find the humourous exaggerations a little too close to home, there's a reason. Forced fun can't make up for ongoing morale busters. I feel the place is going downhill in satisfaction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMGIS is a great place to work. It was named one of "Utah's Best Companies to Work For" in 2009, and "One of the Best Companies to Work For in Insurance" for 2010.

ConsLow turnover means fewer opportunities to move up the corporate ladder. The low turnover is because it's a great place to work, but it comes with that limitation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the PACE program! Don't ever get rid of it. The MGIS Academy was a great addition. It added a whole new element of training for employees.

BAD MOJO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are none any more,except for a few great people that deserve better. Oh, wait... good family/life balance... but the negatives of the workplace bled into my personal life so much, it really negated that single positive aspect.

ConsInept management, at the whims of consultants. What was once a great company when I started, seemed focused on employees and very open-door I saw change over nearly 6 years to become an inbred style of negative reinforcement under the guise of forced team-building. Very sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to truly crack down on inept middle management, as it's rottingyou from the inside. Beware, beware, as the Hartford is going to be laughing in the end.

Worked for MGIS Companies? Contribute to the Community!