MGM Grand Hotel Reviews

Scott Sibella

1. Cashier

Former Employee - Valet Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Valet Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company to work for.

Cons

At Mgm there is no room for mistakes.

2. Bellman

Former Employee - Bellman in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Bellman in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees from my department, particularly my position were some of the most helpful people I've ever been around. They made sure that I knew what I was doing and were fair in regard to the runs we had to make. They were very encouraging.

Cons

Unfortunately, management isn't on par with employees, in particular the two in charge of the daily operation of the department. Some of the assistant managers are more understanding and will work with you because they were also in my position previously. Unfortunately their superiors aren't quite there yet and it shows in the daily morale of the department. They don't understand all that comes with the position and will chastise you if you are doing your job as detailed in the description, but not the particular job they want to do (i.e.. stand at the door and hold it open for hours).

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is to try to be a little more understanding of those who are breaking their backs to make your job easier. The success of the business falls on the laborers. Management should do a better job at increasing morale and rewarding them for their hard work instead of focusing on the negatives.

3. Assistant Restaurant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Restarant Manager in Redford, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Restarant Manager in Redford, MI

I have been working at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. You get to meet so many great people. Great benefits and pay. Lots of different properties to transfer to.

Cons

The casino is open 24 hours a day. Always open on holidays. Depending on where the department you may work in you may have to work an overnight shift. Long hours.

IT Operations Analyst

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MGM was my first employer out of College. I learned a lot very quickly both about IT and the Gaming industry.

Cons

Very little career opportunities if you're in IT unless you want to move to Las Vegas, or jump around the country to other casinos

6. Great pay for dealing cards.

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Detroit, MI

Pros

20 minute breaks every hour and the availability of food twice per shift paid by the company. Pay was above average, great most of the time since we relied on tips plus our entry level pay ranging from $7-$10. Pay increases low but steady

Cons

Worked swing shift 10 p.m. or midnight to 4 or 6 a.m. dealt with rude and irritating guests with no management support to diffuse guests anger when losing $$$. If you ended up on the wrong side of what management wants they made sure you would be skipped for breaks or delay them as long as they could, even though its state law provided by the MGCB that dealers are required a 20 min. Break every hour at the time of my employment. Dont know if it still is or not havnt been there for a long time

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and make it comfortable for them. They are your front line company representatives.

Tons of politics with incompetent managers and very little room for career growth

Former Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great exposure working for a large company like MGM. Tons of opportunities to network. Free food and parking is great and can spoil you a bit with all the large events.

Cons

Low salary, will not help employee further their education, too much politics for the smallest of tasks, hires a lot of incompetent managers/directors/contractors and continues to promote them through the ranks, super long hours, life sucking career path that walks you around the park

Advice to Management

If you plan on promoting someone, plan to assist them along the way. Stop making up fake jobs with fake titles to create faux promotions. Pay for your employee's casino related education as promised on the employee handbook. Stop making employees meet with VP of HR for exit interview when that person clearly don't care. Finally, pay your employees competitive salary.

8. Alright company to work for

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate & Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate & Cashier in Detroit, MI

Pros

Pay rate and free stuff

Cons

Hours and bad management

Advice to Management

Hire more qualified management

9. Love the Check hate the JOB

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, Great Benefits

Cons

Terrible schedule, horrible management, petty co-workers

10. Well paying job that has the potential to be fun.

Current Employee - Dealer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Dealer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at MGM Grand Hotel part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is nice. The job can be really fun at times. Good benefits.

Cons

Sometimes dealing with the same customer all day who is not a very nice person. Smoking environment....some do blow smoke in your face. You have to work weekends and holidays.

11. working with guest

Former Employee - Evs in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Evs in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

learning to enter act with guest

Cons

working with guest and mannment

Advice to Management

need to listen to co workers

RSS Feed </> Embed