MGM Grand Hotel Reviews

Scott Sibella

1. Cashier

Former Employee - Valet Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Valet Cashier in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company to work for.

Cons

At Mgm there is no room for mistakes.

2. Bellman

Former Employee - Bellman in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Bellman in Detroit, MI

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees from my department, particularly my position were some of the most helpful people I've ever been around. They made sure that I knew what I was doing and were fair in regard to the runs we had to make. They were very encouraging.

Cons

Unfortunately, management isn't on par with employees, in particular the two in charge of the daily operation of the department. Some of the assistant managers are more understanding and will work with you because they were also in my position previously. Unfortunately their superiors aren't quite there yet and it shows in the daily morale of the department. They don't understand all that comes with the position and will chastise you if you are doing your job as detailed in the description, but not the particular job they want to do (i.e.. stand at the door and hold it open for hours).

Advice to Management

My only advice to management is to try to be a little more understanding of those who are breaking their backs to make your job easier. The success of the business falls on the laborers. Management should do a better job at increasing morale and rewarding them for their hard work instead of focusing on the negatives.

3. BUFFET USHER

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at MGM Grand Hotel (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great place to work for if you enjoy working with people from all over the world.

Cons

Standing up for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

make sure all employees take their breaks equally.

5. Beauty over brains.

I have been working at MGM Grand Hotel (More than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance, 401k plan and company wide educational courses.

Cons

Skill set is not important, personality and appealing appearance is the priority.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote those equipped with the skills or work ethic necessary to execute the position. Do not focus so much of how beautiful a person is, in the end beauty doesn't get the job done.

6. You run a lot, about 20 miles a day.

Current Employee - Food Runner in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Food Runner in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great views of the pool and the people in it ! You stay fit and get a supreme work out!

Cons

Its 100+ degrees outside, your get too much of a workout somedays, you feel under paid at times. That about it!

Simple retail work for simple retail pay.

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel full-time

Pros

Work flow is very easy, coworkers all very friendly and willing to help, management can be very knowledgeable, get to work all over the hotel and gain knowledge about events occurring.

Cons

Management tend to multitask and forget your requests at times, back stock looks like it could be handled better, more recognition throughout the hotel about retail would be better as well.

Advice to Management

Treat every associate the same, favoritism is seen and noted. Some stores need more help or hands on deck, more recognition throughout the hotel about retail would be better as well.

8. Assistant Restaurant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Restarant Manager in Redford, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Restarant Manager in Redford, MI

I have been working at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. You get to meet so many great people. Great benefits and pay. Lots of different properties to transfer to.

Cons

The casino is open 24 hours a day. Always open on holidays. Depending on where the department you may work in you may have to work an overnight shift. Long hours.

9. Easy Company to Work For

Former Employee - Stagehand in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Stagehand in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good In-Company Mobility and Advancement Friendly atmosphere and general camaraderie

Cons

Same silly rules that happen with all big corporations All departments get the same corporate training, whether it applies or not

Advice to Management

Take into account better the differences amongst departments and who they interact with. Otherwise, keep it up!

10. Front Desk Clerk

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at MGM Grand Hotel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay and nice co-workers

Cons

They will work you to death if given the chance. Get ready for rude, swearing, drunk, high, and ignorant people. Saw several fights, people throwing up, urinating and defecating on themselves, suicides, prostitutes, SWAT, and the desk is open for anyone to come around or jump across!!!!!

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees!!!Extreme bias favored environment. Your skills and performance mean nothing! Have a checks and balance for ALL your positions especially those with power!!!

11. Good jobs

Pros

Great place to grow, and make money for your efforts. Plenty of training opportunities. Free parking.

Cons

Dealing with some of the stresses endemic to the business. Not strong resume material if going into other professional jobs later.

Advice to Management

They are fine. Classy company to work for, and lots of perks make things nice here.

RSS Feed </> Embed