MGO Reviews

Kevin O'Connell

1. 2015 AccountingToday Top 100 Firms

Former Employee - Supervisor in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at MGO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I walked away from MGO with some inspiring mentors, helpful peers, and many close personal relationships with both team members and clients. There are some people within the organization that still genuinely cares and tries.

Cons

Management consist of many that has been with MGO their entire career and led to groupthink. Supporting departments are work-in-process.

Advice to Management

Consistency within the management group will go a long way. Thanks again for everything.

2. Top Leadership is Abuse and Tyrannical

I worked at MGO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay in US dollars and on time.

Cons

Many cons. By far the biggest problem is that the top 3 people including Managing Partner and CFO are tyrants. Everything for them and the other partners. Nothing for the Managers on down. Every employee knows this yet the top people remain in charge. This place needs a complete revolution.

Advice to Management

Top 3 people do not care to make any changes and will not listen to any advice. Walnut Creek office employees and by extension all offices are fearful. The only way to improve this place is to permanently remove the top people. The Partners can do this if they have the will and courage. Abuse is not how any company (particularly a professional services company) should treat its employees. A revolution is needed. Shame on the partner group for allowing this brutality to exist for so many years.

Disrespected employee

I have been working at MGO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and snacks. Flexible hours. The staff is eager to improve if only management cared and is willing to give them the training needed.

Cons

Managers only care about their productivity. They need to delegate when times are slow so staff won't get the feeling of losing their job. The more billable hours, the bigger the manager's bonus.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching the "Core Values" and start living them. Learn how to communicate with the staff. Upper management should have training for managers, especially newly promoted ones, on how to manage staff.

Great company for my career

I have been working at MGO full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In my experience so far, there are opportunities for growth and to prove yourself professionally. This is an environment where employees are given resources to receive help, but won't get their hands held. If you're ambitious and are motivated to shine, MGO would be a great place to prove yourself. Several promotions were given out this past July as well as raises, so it feels good to know that your efforts are rewarded professionally and monetarily. I really enjoy everyone I work with. The partners and employees have welcomed me and I have already developed strong relationships with several people here.

Cons

The benefits could be better but I hear that is being worked on.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to keep giving continuous feedback and work on more goal setting with employees. Extra guidance always helps when trying to further your career.

Where dreams go to die and spirits are crushed

I worked at MGO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- If you're lucky, you might meet some really great coworkers and Partners
    - If you're lucky, you might get a cool Office Manager who organizes fun events (the con to this pro is that you have to spend time with all the people that don't fit into the category above)
    - I like the 'boring accountants' angle
    - There really are some bright people working here, they're just not utilized
    - It filled out my resume well enough to help me get a job I absolutely love

Cons

- The structure within the firm is in disarray and they're looking for answers to basic questions that they probably should have worked out at some point within the last couple decades
    - Compensation is dismal
    - Now that the CFO is also heading the HR department, good luck to anyone looking for a raise beyond 2% come July. Seriously, don't bother going the extra mile, you will NOT be rewarded
    - On that note, employee recognition is seriously lacking (but on the bright side, sometimes they say really nice things about people in the email announcing their involuntary departure)
    - Despite the 2 month effort (really, guys?), the new culture & values are still unclear and haven't changed a thing
    - Opportunities for advancement and development are few and far between unless you score an amazing advisor, Manager, and/or Partner.
    - Some associates can become very unpleasant when they've been drinking... and that's not always outside work hours. You've been warned.

Are you fresh out of college and looking for a great place to begin your career? Do NOT come here.

Don't quite have your degree yet? Great, the internships and low level positions pay quite well compared to other places. Just don't stick around any longer than you need to.

Are you mid-upper level looking for a change? Go ahead and take your chances, but be warned that ridiculous financial goals and expectations will be set for you and when you inevitably don't reach them, you will be fired (if you haven't come to your senses and quit yet).

Advice to Management

A lot of people have expressed their dissatisfaction to me about MGO (people who I thought were genuinely happy with their jobs). Maybe you should focus on employee satisfaction; If you can accomplish that, you'll see it pay off.

7. great coworkers, great hours, but industry experience is very limited.

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at MGO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work-life balance for a public accounting firm
    career advancement

Cons

governmental clients only
    compensation is less competitive

8. Great organization for driven individual contributors.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at MGO full-time

Pros

Great firm with a very entrepreneurial spirit. The organization is very good a recognizing leaders and helping them succeed in their careers while taking into consideration their personal goals. Leaders in the organization lead by example and are passionate with regards to helping others. None of the leaders will delegate any job that they are not willing to do.

Cons

I would suggest to update branding. Accountants are not boring.

Advice to Management

A budget should be set aside to empower and develop the future leaders of the organization.

great marketing strategy but really awful place to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MGO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was my first firm coming out of college so at first I thought this environment was great but now that I've been to other firms, I see I was wrong. One thing I really did like in this firm was the marketing! Everyone felt like they were important at this firm and makes everyone feel good but once you really see it, it's a small new firm with great innovative ideas which is great but the condescending demeanor most of the clients felt was unnecessary. Per diem $45 not bad but some other firms I've seen to offer $70 (closer to IRS rate). Good clientele to grow is a pro!

Cons

There was micro-managing, moody senior management. Everything was work work work! No work life balance no matter what people say here, trust me I worked here. When other firms say work-life balance, there really is this balance but this is non-existent at MGO. Life revolves around MGO for some directors and partners - well they have no life. Management is not understanding of life events.

Advice to Management

Get a life! and compensate with better bonuses

Accountiant associate

I worked at MGO

Pros

The company is in Sacramento.

Cons

The training started in the middle of July.

11. I thought I had a great experience working here, especially since it was my first ever job.

Current Intern - Audit Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - Audit Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MGO as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to learn how to be an accountant.

Cons

I was a little disappointed that I did not get to work more out in the field"