MGO Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
3.3

Kevin O'Connell

Great company for my career

I have been working at MGO full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my experience so far, there are opportunities for growth and to prove yourself professionally. This is an environment where employees are given resources to receive help, but won't get their hands held. If you're ambitious and are motivated to shine, MGO would be a great place to prove yourself. Several promotions were given out this past July as well as raises, so it feels good to know that your efforts are rewarded professionally and monetarily. I really enjoy everyone I work with. The partners and employees have welcomed me and I have already developed strong relationships with several people here.

Cons

The benefits could be better but I hear that is being worked on.

My advice to management would be to keep giving continuous feedback and work on more goal setting with employees. Extra guidance always helps when trying to further your career.

Where dreams go to die and spirits are crushed

I worked at MGO full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you're lucky, you might meet some really great coworkers and Partners
    - If you're lucky, you might get a cool Office Manager who organizes fun events (the con to this pro is that you have to spend time with all the people that don't fit into the category above)
    - I like the 'boring accountants' angle
    - There really are some bright people working here, they're just not utilized
    - It filled out my resume well enough to help me get a job I absolutely love

Cons

- The structure within the firm is in disarray and they're looking for answers to basic questions that they probably should have worked out at some point within the last couple decades
    - Compensation is dismal
    - Now that the CFO is also heading the HR department, good luck to anyone looking for a raise beyond 2% come July. Seriously, don't bother going the extra mile, you will NOT be rewarded
    - On that note, employee recognition is seriously lacking (but on the bright side, sometimes they say really nice things about people in the email announcing their involuntary departure)
    - Despite the 2 month effort (really, guys?), the new culture & values are still unclear and haven't changed a thing
    - Opportunities for advancement and development are few and far between unless you score an amazing advisor, Manager, and/or Partner.
    - Some associates can become very unpleasant when they've been drinking... and that's not always outside work hours. You've been warned.

Are you fresh out of college and looking for a great place to begin your career? Do NOT come here.

Don't quite have your degree yet? Great, the internships and low level positions pay quite well compared to other places. Just don't stick around any longer than you need to.

Are you mid-upper level looking for a change? Go ahead and take your chances, but be warned that ridiculous financial goals and expectations will be set for you and when you inevitably don't reach them, you will be fired (if you haven't come to your senses and quit yet).

A lot of people have expressed their dissatisfaction to me about MGO (people who I thought were genuinely happy with their jobs). Maybe you should focus on employee satisfaction; If you can accomplish that, you'll see it pay off.

great coworkers, great hours, but industry experience is very limited.

Former Employee - Audit Associate  in  Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at MGO full-time for more than a year

Pros

work-life balance for a public accounting firm
    career advancement

Cons

governmental clients only
    compensation is less competitive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization for driven individual contributors.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at MGO full-time

Pros

Great firm with a very entrepreneurial spirit. The organization is very good a recognizing leaders and helping them succeed in their careers while taking into consideration their personal goals. Leaders in the organization lead by example and are passionate with regards to helping others. None of the leaders will delegate any job that they are not willing to do.

Cons

I would suggest to update branding. Accountants are not boring.

A budget should be set aside to empower and develop the future leaders of the organization.

great marketing strategy but really awful place to work at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MGO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was my first firm coming out of college so at first I thought this environment was great but now that I've been to other firms, I see I was wrong. One thing I really did like in this firm was the marketing! Everyone felt like they were important at this firm and makes everyone feel good but once you really see it, it's a small new firm with great innovative ideas which is great but the condescending demeanor most of the clients felt was unnecessary. Per diem $45 not bad but some other firms I've seen to offer $70 (closer to IRS rate). Good clientele to grow is a pro!

Cons

There was micro-managing, moody senior management. Everything was work work work! No work life balance no matter what people say here, trust me I worked here. When other firms say work-life balance, there really is this balance but this is non-existent at MGO. Life revolves around MGO for some directors and partners - well they have no life. Management is not understanding of life events.

Get a life! and compensate with better bonuses

Accountiant associate

I worked at MGO

Pros

The company is in Sacramento.

Cons

The training started in the middle of July.

I thought I had a great experience working here, especially since it was my first ever job.

Current Employee - Audit Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MGO as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It is a great place to learn how to be an accountant.

Cons

I was a little disappointed that I did not get to work more out in the field"

Good people, terrible sense of company direction and complete disregard for employees.

I worked at MGO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good people
    - Decent opportunities for entry level staff

Cons

- Company has a confused sense of direction, trying to implement change after change and in the end nothing changes.
    - Supervisors lack training and knowledge to successfully manage their employees for career growth
    - Feedback is strongly lacking
    - When suggestions are made they are disregarded
    - Management is unfair and plays favorites
    - Low management/partner participation
    - What's best for employees is always at the very bottom of company decisions
    - Low office morale

- More training
    - Listen to employees
    - Hire people that actually know what they are doing

It was like digging ditches everyday. Just a bunch of crap

Former Employee - Rather Not Say  in  Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Century City, CA

I worked at MGO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No body understood what I did. No supervision

Cons

The partners all of them. No upward mobility. No training what so ever. Its sink or swim.

You suck. You suck the life out of people so you can buy 2 million dollar homes in Cheviot Hills and send your kids to expensive schools. Then lay people off and try and blame the economy. If the economy is really that bad why would anyone buy a 2 million dollar home unless HE is lieing???????? Also don't lay someone off then post to Craigslist before the person gets home for less than half off the salary. Anyways sorry to be so negative but I am glad to be away from those blood suckers. Life is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great platform to accelerate your career!

Current Employee - busines management associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - busines management associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MGO full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Accessibility to partners and managers
    - Diverse staff
    - Flexibility to work in different departments and offices

Cons

- Must be able to learn on the job (not a lot of training)
    - Busy season hours

Get a Keurig for the kitchen

Worked for MGO? Contribute to the Community!