MGO
www.mgocpa.com Sacramento, CA 150 to 499 Employees

MGO Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Kevin O'Connell

I thought I had a great experience working here, especially since it was my first ever job.

Audit Intern (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsIt is a great place to learn how to be an accountant.

ConsI was a little disappointed that I did not get to work more out in the field"

Good people, terrible sense of company direction and complete disregard for employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Good people
    - Decent opportunities for entry level staff

Cons- Company has a confused sense of direction, trying to implement change after change and in the end nothing changes.
    - Supervisors lack training and knowledge to successfully manage their employees for career growth
    - Feedback is strongly lacking
    - When suggestions are made they are disregarded
    - Management is unfair and plays favorites
    - Low management/partner participation
    - What's best for employees is always at the very bottom of company decisions
    - Low office morale

Advice to Senior Management- More training
    - Listen to employees
    - Hire people that actually know what they are doing

It was like digging ditches everyday. Just a bunch of crap

Rather Not Say (Former Employee)
    Century City, CA

ProsNo body understood what I did. No supervision

ConsThe partners all of them. No upward mobility. No training what so ever. Its sink or swim.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou suck. You suck the life out of people so you can buy 2 million dollar homes in Cheviot Hills and send your kids to expensive schools. Then lay people off and try and blame the economy. If the economy is really that bad why would anyone buy a 2 million dollar home unless HE is lieing???????? Also don't lay someone off then post to Craigslist before the person gets home for less than half off the salary. Anyways sorry to be so negative but I am glad to be away from those blood suckers. Life is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great platform to accelerate your career!

busines management associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Accessibility to partners and managers
    - Diverse staff
    - Flexibility to work in different departments and offices

Cons- Must be able to learn on the job (not a lot of training)
    - Busy season hours

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a Keurig for the kitchen

Great

Prosflexible environment, great work ethic

ConsNo cons as of to date

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Bad office morale, egotistical managing partner oh, and many fake glass door reviews

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits were not bad

ConsThe work is mostly governmental, not much to help elevate your career. Was fine for me as I was hired in the recession out of school and noone else was hiring. Just left with a rather large salary bump.
    The Managing Partner has a rather large ego. All one needs to do is looks the 'Not Boring" homepage. LOL.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some interesting clients, pay a market rate and don't mislead recruits.

Collaborative and Fast-Paced Environment

Pros- Access to upper level management
    -Management is making a lot of changes for the better
    - Mobility across the various CA offices
    - Large clients with a lot of learning opportunities
    - Willing to transfer you to other offices
    -Set promotion path
    -CPA exam bonus

Cons- Need an upward feedback process

Advice to Senior Management-Continue to revamp policies/procedures and encourage new ideas
    -Invest in training and other long term efforts

Exciting changes in infrastructure

Sacramento, CA

ProsMGO grew really fast over the last few years and had a difficult time keeping up with the infrastructure needs of a larger firm. Over the last 6 months it has been apparent that MGO has made personnel and culture a priority. Due to that, the Sacramento office is a completely different place to work. Staff is happy. Well done.
    Also, the management team brought back the Giants game!!!

ConsIt would be nice to have our holidays match the holidays of the state. Also, Associates and Experience Associates are the ones in the field everyday – more attention needs to be paid to those who are on the ground. Their input is more valuable than they get credit for.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff. There is an energetic group of staff auditors that are passionate about their jobs, love the work they do, and want to grow with MGO. These individuals are the future of the firm, listen to them!

Great Place To Be

(Current Employee)

ProsMGO is a regional CPA firm that prides itself as being the 6th fastest growing Accounting firm in the country. The firm has made a niche for itself in government accounting, although they also have a fairly large tax practice as well. Most of the management, including one Partner, started as staff in the firm and moved their way up. Due to the firm constantly growing, there are always opportunities for advancement at all levels. The smaller size of the firm allows staff to get exposure to Partners and see more aspects of the audit process than in larger firms.

ConsAs with any other public accounting firm, busy season hours are long and turnover occurs. There is travel involved, although how much depends entirely on the client base and needs for the office you work at.

Advice to Senior ManagementBoth of these suggestions are currently in process of being implemented: 1. Provide more training for staff so that everyone has the skills they need to thrive. 2. Recognize and appreciate all staff for the hard work they put in year round by having more firm events or activities.

I have been working at MGO full-time for almost a year

ProsWorking at MGO has proved to be the right career move for me. I felt stuck in my previous job, but here I have been constantly learning since my first day. I have been given several opportunities to expand my knowledge through working with partners, directors and managers.
    I think another important component is that my manager and partners, that I work with, want me to succeed in my job. I have found all of upper management to be incredibly encouraging and I’ve been able to grow in my career through working with them and being privy to their expertise and skill set. An example is my manager is always open to hearing my new ideas, and I have been able to see some of these come to fruition already. I also am constantly receiving positive feedback about my hard work.
    The work environment is really positive and has even evolved since I’ve been here. A great example is our lunch room is filled with people every day, since everyone actually likes each other and gets along really well. I think that’s incredibly important when working for any company.
    Lastly, I saw a few other reviews from a year or so ago that were negative. I think upper management must have heard these complaints from employees and listened, since I’ve had a very different experience. I think at any firm there’s always going to be people that are unhappy with it, but I’ve been at a few companies before this and I can say this is the best work/life balance I have ever encountered and I’m very satisfied with compensation.

ConsTheir benefits need to be worked on. Their PTO and holidays are pretty standard with other firms, but they don’t have many options for medical insurance which is definitely important.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the well-being of employees as a top priority, and it will all come full circle. Happy employee equals harder working employee. They have already taken a step in the right direction in the last year, and they need to continue to do so and look at improving their benefits plans.

Worked for MGO? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MGO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MGO CEO Kevin O'Connell. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by MGO employees.