MHA Group

Updated Mar 31, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Merritt

M.H. has given me the opportunity to grow & develop as a professional and also earn an income that is unmatched

Senior Physician Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at MHA Group full-time for more than a year

Prosmoney, professional growth, leadership opportunity, stability

ConsA large amount of your income is production based. If you aren't self motivated daily, you will most likely fail or be below average at best

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to change. Some are and some aren't so much

Essentially a sales job

Research Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at MHA Group full-time for more than a year

ProsClear about goals and what is expected.
Sales training is very organized and structured

ConsLong hours
Low Pay
A lot of negativity amonst employees.

Great money if you can survive.

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at MHA Group full-time

ProsGreat compensation for high performers - up and out culture. If you aren't making $100k after 15 months, pack your bags. Solid territories that have been well marketed.

ConsDog-eat-dog environment. Company is known for dangling a carrot and then switching the incentive when it's reached (higher goal with smaller territory). Face time is highly encouraged so people don't take lunches or leave at the end of the day for fear of being perceived as a slacker.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on client relationships more. Work on employee retention. Bring in individuals without outside experience to show what might be possible.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good experience.

Search Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at MHA Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is plenty room for career advancement.

ConsWhen I was there, tons of employee turnover.

meat grinder

Sales (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at MHA Group full-time for more than a year

Prosindustry leader, growing market, definite need, good training

Consdidnt care about clients once deal was signed, only wanted next sale, created atmosphere of fear, would fire and replace people rather than let them build reputation and trust in territory. numbers were the only thing that mattered.

Advice to Senior Managementfind the good people and let them stay and build relationships with the clients. clients are tired of the revolving door sales person

Great Company with Proven Success in the Market

Senior Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at MHA Group full-time for more than a year

ProsAbility to make 100K and more within 18 months. Great training. Great support from VPs. Everyone wants you to succeed. They have a proven process that when you use it correctly it makes you successful. The company is growning and they want you to grow with it. I think that anyone with a hunger and a drive to be successful should take this job.

ConsNone to think of at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Think very carefully before accepting offer

Manager In Training (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at MHA Group for less than a year

ProsGood Benefits and excellent training.

ConsExpectations can be unrealistic. You are expected to perform in an industry that's product is "people" which are unpredictable. You are expected to make 100 calls a day despite the 6 hours of training a day that are expected. They seem to a have a mentality that "We invented this industry, we are the best, so this is how its' always been done and how we are going to keep doing it, despite changes in the market place." They operate on a script and at this level of sales not all clients want to hear a "script." Its really a churn and burn kind of environment. 1 or 2 out of 10 may make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some managers that have actually managed at other companies instead of just at MH. I think the company needs some new blood or atleast managers from other divisions that don't operate with a "bully mentality." Most manager seemed to be of the same mindset and lacked diversity of experience and culture.

Search Consultant

Serach Consultant (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at MHA Group

ProsFun work, good pay when you have accounts

ConsManagement delineates who gets what accounts. Very susceptible to nepotism. No accounts means no money, but you are still expected to produce results.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold standards based on account load, not a set figure to administer equally to those who have 10 accounts and those who have 2 accounts

Beware and know what is expected and what you are getting into

Search Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at MHA Group

ProsMHA does offer great advancement and few limits on compensation. Many times, employees can make over $100,000 within three years. This does come at a cost though. (See Cons) The MHA training program is comprehensive, but micromanaged to a fault.

ConsBe prepared to be micromanaged, to have other employees try to steal doctors (and subsequent commission), and to work 50 hours a week to meet minimum expectations. When new, you will be given hand me down accounts that are essentially the problem accounts that senior consultants can't place. Senior management, regional and divisional vice presidents make low six figures to micromanage and do not usually bring in income to the company. This leads to the lowest salary in the industry for new hires. Meeting phone time and dial requirements in antiquated in an age of internet and email. The Merritt Hawkins reputation in the industry is very low, which is a direct reflection of the employees and caliber of people that can make this a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company will continue to fail unless you change the perception doctors/hospitals have.

Very important to know what you are getting into

Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at MHA Group

ProsThe healthcare industry is a great one to work in but it is not recession proof. Of all my sales jobs this one taught me how to be an effective consultant to physicians and hospital CEO's on what the current market of recruiting is like for physicians.

ConsThe hardest job I have ever had. Simply a numbers game. No more. No less. If you hit your lofty goals, you have nothing to worry about, if you fall short of you numbers, watch out, you will be gone.

100% micro management.

There have been people to lose their jobs in less than 90 days. Do your homework before you accept a job. There is good money to be made with MHA but there are many other jobs out there where you could make just as much without all the micro management. A LOT of Turnover with employees! Nearly 50% of the Atlanta office was turned over in 2008.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo ease up on employees. In the tough economy where people are fighting to sell anything they can MHA has raised, let me repeat that, raised everyones monthly goals. How does this make sense?? I would also suggest working on employee retention, of which there is none currently.

Show ALL your employees that THEY matter.

Worked for MHA Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MHA Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MHA Group CEO Jim Merritt. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by MHA Group employees.