MHM Services Reviews

Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MHM Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people, Everyone is very smart and willing to teach/learn. The company is growing, and lots of new things to explore on.

Cons

Currently no room for growth, everyone is pretty much locked in.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth. If we win a contract push some money down to the workers to put the extra time in to polish the bid, or analysis.

The definitive leader in correctional mental health

Current Employee - Psychologist in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Psychologist in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at MHM Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a psychologist in a corrections facility is a chance to serve some of the neediest clients in our society. MHM in Alabama is a challenging, difficult and absolutely rewarding company to work for. The work is seriously challenging, since state spending on inmates is terribly low. MHM's ability to provide quality care in this budget is terrific.

Cons

Corrections is difficult, so the work is tough. The Alabama DOC is primitive, to put it kindly. You will see things that you may wish you hadn't.

Advice to Management

Try to avoid mixed or contradictory messages.

Nice place to work, friendly people

I have been working at MHM Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work on your own, no one breathing down your back, good communication between managers and employees.

Cons

Pay raises, need more holidays, flex time

Advice to Management

Employees working at the facilities have the worst job, so keep in mind, these employees are the ones who make sure you get your paycheck. Treat them with respect.

5. I love my job!!!

I have been working at MHM Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great corporate environment for a growing mid-size company. Expanding lines of business. Excellent boss and coworkers. Overall positive work environment that keeps you busy and interested, doing something important and vital for the communities at large. I'm proud to work here. Benefits are great, too!

Cons

Because it's a mid-size company there are some growing pains, but efforts are being made to work through those.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the new lines of business, engage employees at every level and recognize their achievements (which you do through various means already, but each new step is one that connects us closer to you) and continue to invest in training for all levels of employee.

6. Great culture!

Current Employee - IT Management in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - IT Management in Vienna, VA

I have been working at MHM Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MHM focuses on continual improvement. They invest in their employees with training. The employee culture is very positive - I work with staff all across the country and it's rare to work with someone who is negative. Everyone tends to work very well together. Communication to the staff is good and always getting better. They make sure the staff understand the company goals. 28 days of PDO starting in year 1 is awesome! I am empowered to make decisions and get work done - I truly feel like I was hired for my knowledge and am allowed to use it to help make the company better.

Cons

We're at the mercy of the state client's timing/schedule and budgets. So sometimes we have to rush to get things done and get financially creative to solve problems. Of course that's par for the course when you are a state government contractor! So I guess it's not totally a con.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep the information flowing and make sure we're all aware of any goal/plan changes so we can use that with our decision making.

Interesting, challenging position

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Macon, GA

Pros

Interesting, challenging, an opportunity to provide much needed counseling services to a population (corrections) that is often overlooked. The company provides six hundred dollars per year and two days off for continuing education. Paid days off are accrued at 9.33 hours per bi-weekly pay period. Based upon my limited knowledge of the industry, I think the salary is fair.

Cons

Employment can be terminated at will without cause. Employment is dependent upon MHM retaining contract to provide services for the Department of Corrections. Have heard rumors of positions being abolished with no notice to employees. The Deparment of Corrections does not provide computers to all of the mental health counselors. I have a lot of paperwork, which must all be handwritten. The population can be difficult to work with at times.

Advice to Management

Improve lines of communication

8. Overall, a fine place to work, with some flaws that affect performance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Pros

Fantastic PDO package, much better than other places I have worked. Management attempts to encourage new ideas, and if all else fails, they leave you pretty much alone to get the job done. Fascinating client population, especially for new clinicians. I like that each site is viewed as an entity unto itself, and not compared to other, different sites. Leadership is strong (but see below). If there is an issue with the warden onsite, management WILL assist site managers and staff, and support them. I especially like that the company promotes "a sense of urgency" as one of its guiding principles.

Cons

Working under contract...staff have to sweat it out every 3-5 years...if the contract is not renewed, you are out of a job. Very old fashioned when it comes to providing tech on-site (computers, scanners, internet connections, etc...) Some sites have none or just one computer for the entire staff. Regional managers and directors are too stingy with their praise and encouragement. Some training is inconsistent or inadequate, especially in the clinical counseling area (goal writing and treatment plans). Finally, some directives given are unclear, and later countermanded by persons out of the same regional office!

Advice to Management

1.) Welcome to the 21st Century...updated computers in adequate numbers at all sites, with reasonably prompt service and assistance. 2.) All site managers should be directly internet connected, with their own email on their own computer. 3.) Pass out the praise once in a while, in a bigger way. We don't expect a party or raise every time we do well, but some recognition would be nice. 4.) Send out consistent directives, and don't act surprised when one of your peers tells us to do it a different way, we do it, and you are disturbed by that. Be all on the same page, and we will all be a lot happier.

Laid back

Current Employee - PAYROLL Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - PAYROLL Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at MHM Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no pressure, no one watching over everything you do, open for suggestions

Cons

Turn over in hourly is unbelievable

Advice to Management

Put yourself on the hourley employees level

This company is comparable to others in the same field.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at MHM Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to learn new skills.

Cons

Sometimes the lower level employees do not receive the compensations comparable to the higher level employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of your support staff and administrative assistants.

11. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Mental Health Professional in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Mental Health Professional in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at MHM Services full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, encouragement from supervisors and co-workers, lots of autonomy in daily work.

Cons

The job is demanding and the environment can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it can be difficult to take vacation time because of the timely demands of the job. My advice is, if this isn't done already, to make sure there are PRN staff available to help at institutions when staff take vacation, even as short as a few days.

RSS Feed </> Embed