MHMRA of Harris County

www.mhmraharris.org

MHMRA of Harris County Reviews

Updated Jul 12, 2014
MHMRA of Harris County – Houston – “MHMRA Help Line”

Steven B. Schnee, Ph.D

Get some experience, while not getting paid much, and leave asap

REHAB CLINICIAN (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros- good beginning experience in the mental health field
    - benefits including health insurance with Cigna
    - Spanish stipend if you pass a test ($2,200 extra/year)

Cons- although there are 3 weeks of intense training when you start any position at the agency, there needs to be educational material once you start the actual job that explains everything out, especially when the supervisors are many times new themselves and have no idea how to train employees...they need to get much more organized and responsible about this
    - the agency claims to offer services to patients when in reality most of the time they are not able to help them with many of those things unfortunately (you only learn this after you tell the patient you can help them with it and find out you can't later on)
    - can be very dangerous physically since patients aren't always stable
    - high turnover including among the supervisors so you may have several, mostly incompetent, supervisors in a relatively short amount of time
    - employees are split up into team rooms and you need to hope you fit in with your team and aren't shunned for any reason
    - if you have a Masters degree you aren't able to get promoted until you work 6 months in a position you are overqualified for and get paid much less
    - you can put a lot of miles on your car and use a lot of gas doing so (the agency reimburses you 56 cents/mile driven so definitely go that route)
    - not enough offices in some clinics for employees to have sessions with patients at the clinic, forcing employees to see patients in their homes or a public location which is not always safe or wise
    - LCDCs get paid very well considering only an associates degree is needed for their career which is insulting to others in different positions who get paid less and have higher degrees

Advice to Senior Management- train your supervisors so that they can do their jobs well
    - train your supervisors so that they can train their employees
    - pay people more so there won't be such a high turnover rate
    - allow employees with master's degrees to get higher positions in the agency so that they won't leave quickly for better jobs/better pay
    - have offices in every clinic so that employees can see their patients there...it's safer and many times more convenient for both employees and patients

Direct Care isn't always easy

Direct Care Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI loved my co-workers in the program where I worked. They truly had the consumers' best interests at heart. I had an incredible program manager who always had our backs during tough times. She respected us and often reminded us that we were instrumental in our consumers' lives. We were allowed to laugh and have fun, which is wonderful because.....

ConsDirect Care positions are very stressful. If you work with combative consumers, like I did, you WILL go home with bruises and bites. PMAB training is great, but not always effective, especially when working with children. I never saw anyone "promoted" during my time there. Compensation for direct care positions should be better, especially since these individuals implementing plans and providing face-to-face care to the consumers. Compensation, however, is entirely dependent on the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate, respect and value your direct care employees. They experience the brunt of the work and are underpaid. They could go to a private company and make more, but they don't because they believe in they work they are doing with the agency. Be careful not to allow bureaucratic nonsense to negatively effect direct care workers, as that will impact the quality of service experience by the consumer.

Ok to start here, but leave after gaining skills

ProsI learned alot about developing rapport with clients in their families, using a person directed process, developing plans, learning to handle disagreement and mediate and basic pharmacology.

ConsThere are no promotions, and the only growth possible is if you can find another position that your supervisor will let you go to. Unfortunately, the most important part of our job as communicated implicitly is the number of services and not the quality. It makes for a bad work environment, next to impossible demands and working over 40 hours a week. There is no work-life balance here.

Advice to Senior ManagementContact families and read notes to understand the quality of service that we provide, and the gratitude they have for our monitoring. Some gratitude from upper management would be appreciated as well, rather than complaints all the time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for experience, bad for everything else

Case Manager II (Former Employee)

Pros-meet some great people
    -job flexibility
    -benefits aren't bad

Cons-management is senseless
    -hardly any area for advancement
    -lots of miscommunication
    -no direction

Advice to Senior ManagementHire supervisors who are intelligent enough and capable of doing their job. Make sure if you say something then thats what you want done, not because you are going to go back on it later and make the employee look incompetent just because you decided to change your mind without telling anyone.

Good Beginning Job

ProsLaid back, no direct supervision.

ConsNo direct supervision. Non profit company.

Challenging work; overloaded too often

LPHA (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat population of clients, good camaraderie in some areas of work, opportunities to change your areas of practice and clientele, competitive salary and decent benefits.

ConsMiddle mgmt is a toss-up - some are really good but lots are very poor at people-skills, and either poorly trained or are following a micromanagement-based model. Very little support, lots of persecution and childish rulemaking interfere with job productivity, which is sometimes unfairly evaluated.

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring and promotions process unnecessarily complicated; little opportunity for feedback from staff concerning the quality of the leadership or chances for meaningful dialog concerning direct and second-level supervisors. Poor communication between senior leadership and employees about changes and upcoming events. "Dr" Schnee's leadership style is Czar-like and unapproachable. And why is it that the only PhD afforded the "doctor" title is Schnee? Other PhD's are actually DISCOURAGED from using the title, so as not to hurt the delicate feelings of the MD's? If MHMRA is to grow into the 21st Century, stop worrying about finding a PC name and create a leadership style that is relevant for the 21st Century. And PLEASE get a software program that wasn't written for the 1990's! By the time our "new, cutting-edge" software comes online, the IT dept will have to retrofit it for Microsoft 8 when all the computers are running MS 15!

Buyer Beware

Employment Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood Training Programs
    Great place to get experience
    You can make some good friends

ConsLow salary
    Competitive environment
    Low Employee Morale
    No upward movement

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the herd. Loners are picked off.

Get your foot in the door for some professional experience and move on.

REHAB CLINICIAN (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSome positions allow you to being the field and not stuck in a office setting everyday. Provide services in the community allow for a more effective therapeutic environment.

ConsNo raises unless you move or accept a new position. They do not provide incentives for financial advancement. I earned a MA in my field and HR told me that there was no raise or my continued education to help me be a better professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a complete overhaul. Management up to the top is tenured and they are comfortable with the system in place. Patient care is supposed to be paramount....

Great company to get your feet wet.

Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat for experience and getting acclimated to corporate life.

ConsCareer advancement is nonexistence with this company.

MHMRA... the good and the bad....

REHAB CLINICIAN (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsMHMRA is a good company for a beginning clinician to gain some experience.

ConsThere is no room for growth.
    There is a dictatorship attitude in parts of the agency and clinicians aren't treated like professionals.
    The pay needs to improve.
    Over time, working here can be draining.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should consider offer annually raises or bonuses to employees to demonstrate appreciate for the millions of dollars that the clinicians bring to this agency. These incentives would help to boost overall morale.

Worked for MHMRA of Harris County? Contribute to the Community!