MHMRA of Harris County

2.8

Steven B. Schnee, Ph.D

Job Satisfaction

I have been working at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, great benefits, a lot of paid time off

Cons

Focus on productivity, clientele is difficult to work with over a long period of time due to level of need (burn out can be high)

Good place to work in the Mental Health field

Current Employee - Health Information Tech  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Health Information Tech in Houston, TX

I have been working at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, training, work is interesting , benefits ok

Cons

Not much advancement and benefits

Management needs more training in team work and leadership

Nonsensical leadership ...persecution for going against the grain

Current Employee - Good Question  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Good Question in Houston, TX

I have been working at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to start to get your feet wet in "corporate". I initially thought this was a good place to work and the cause was great, considering I have mentally challenged family members.

Cons

However, some of the middle management weak. They are afraid to go against the grain and say "enough" when standing up for their staff. Those that plant their feet solidly are persecuted, shifted and eventually leave, if not pushed out the door first.
    You are led to believe you can trust, then everything you divulge is turned into your very own persecution.
    There's no compensation, nor rewards for achievements, but slip up once and they pounce on you, ridicule you and bar you from transferring.
    My advice...stay far, far away from this place! It gives a facade that the patients are priority, but it's really about the money...that the "worker bees" never see. Save yourself the grief and get your feet wet somewhere else.

LEAVE YOUR MIDDLE MANAGEMENT ALONE! They have the credentials and the know how yo do the job. If you do not already know the job, try observing and asking questions. Don't just make an assumption about things, make up your own rules and create a distrusting, rigid atmosphere. Great leaders are also great followers; we can literally learn from each other.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people, the company values

Cons

There were a lot of lay offs

Plenty of room for advancement

Get some experience, while not getting paid much, and leave asap

Current Employee - REHAB CLINICIAN  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - REHAB CLINICIAN in Houston, TX

I have been working at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for less than a year

Pros

- good beginning experience in the mental health field
    - benefits including health insurance with Cigna
    - Spanish stipend if you pass a test ($2,200 extra/year)

Cons

- although there are 3 weeks of intense training when you start any position at the agency, there needs to be educational material once you start the actual job that explains everything out, especially when the supervisors are many times new themselves and have no idea how to train employees...they need to get much more organized and responsible about this
    - the agency claims to offer services to patients when in reality most of the time they are not able to help them with many of those things unfortunately (you only learn this after you tell the patient you can help them with it and find out you can't later on)
    - can be very dangerous physically since patients aren't always stable
    - high turnover including among the supervisors so you may have several, mostly incompetent, supervisors in a relatively short amount of time
    - employees are split up into team rooms and you need to hope you fit in with your team and aren't shunned for any reason
    - if you have a Masters degree you aren't able to get promoted until you work 6 months in a position you are overqualified for and get paid much less
    - you can put a lot of miles on your car and use a lot of gas doing so (the agency reimburses you 56 cents/mile driven so definitely go that route)
    - not enough offices in some clinics for employees to have sessions with patients at the clinic, forcing employees to see patients in their homes or a public location which is not always safe or wise
    - LCDCs get paid very well considering only an associates degree is needed for their career which is insulting to others in different positions who get paid less and have higher degrees

- train your supervisors so that they can do their jobs well
    - train your supervisors so that they can train their employees
    - pay people more so there won't be such a high turnover rate
    - allow employees with master's degrees to get higher positions in the agency so that they won't leave quickly for better jobs/better pay
    - have offices in every clinic so that employees can see their patients there...it's safer and many times more convenient for both employees and patients

Direct Care isn't always easy

Former Employee - Direct Care Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Direct Care Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved my co-workers in the program where I worked. They truly had the consumers' best interests at heart. I had an incredible program manager who always had our backs during tough times. She respected us and often reminded us that we were instrumental in our consumers' lives. We were allowed to laugh and have fun, which is wonderful because.....

Cons

Direct Care positions are very stressful. If you work with combative consumers, like I did, you WILL go home with bruises and bites. PMAB training is great, but not always effective, especially when working with children. I never saw anyone "promoted" during my time there. Compensation for direct care positions should be better, especially since these individuals implementing plans and providing face-to-face care to the consumers. Compensation, however, is entirely dependent on the government.

Celebrate, respect and value your direct care employees. They experience the brunt of the work and are underpaid. They could go to a private company and make more, but they don't because they believe in they work they are doing with the agency. Be careful not to allow bureaucratic nonsense to negatively effect direct care workers, as that will impact the quality of service experience by the consumer.

Good for experience, bad for everything else

Former Employee - Case Manager II
    Former Employee - Case Manager II

I worked at MHMRA of Harris County full-time

Pros

-meet some great people
    -job flexibility
    -benefits aren't bad

Cons

-management is senseless
    -hardly any area for advancement
    -lots of miscommunication
    -no direction

Hire supervisors who are intelligent enough and capable of doing their job. Make sure if you say something then thats what you want done, not because you are going to go back on it later and make the employee look incompetent just because you decided to change your mind without telling anyone.

Ok to start here, but leave after gaining skills

I have been working at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I learned alot about developing rapport with clients in their families, using a person directed process, developing plans, learning to handle disagreement and mediate and basic pharmacology.

Cons

There are no promotions, and the only growth possible is if you can find another position that your supervisor will let you go to. Unfortunately, the most important part of our job as communicated implicitly is the number of services and not the quality. It makes for a bad work environment, next to impossible demands and working over 40 hours a week. There is no work-life balance here.

Contact families and read notes to understand the quality of service that we provide, and the gratitude they have for our monitoring. Some gratitude from upper management would be appreciated as well, rather than complaints all the time.

Good Beginning Job

I have been working at MHMRA of Harris County

Pros

Laid back, no direct supervision.

Cons

No direct supervision. Non profit company.

Challenging work; overloaded too often

Current Employee - LPHA  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - LPHA in Houston, TX

I have been working at MHMRA of Harris County full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great population of clients, good camaraderie in some areas of work, opportunities to change your areas of practice and clientele, competitive salary and decent benefits.

Cons

Middle mgmt is a toss-up - some are really good but lots are very poor at people-skills, and either poorly trained or are following a micromanagement-based model. Very little support, lots of persecution and childish rulemaking interfere with job productivity, which is sometimes unfairly evaluated.

Hiring and promotions process unnecessarily complicated; little opportunity for feedback from staff concerning the quality of the leadership or chances for meaningful dialog concerning direct and second-level supervisors. Poor communication between senior leadership and employees about changes and upcoming events. "Dr" Schnee's leadership style is Czar-like and unapproachable. And why is it that the only PhD afforded the "doctor" title is Schnee? Other PhD's are actually DISCOURAGED from using the title, so as not to hurt the delicate feelings of the MD's? If MHMRA is to grow into the 21st Century, stop worrying about finding a PC name and create a leadership style that is relevant for the 21st Century. And PLEASE get a software program that wasn't written for the 1990's! By the time our "new, cutting-edge" software comes online, the IT dept will have to retrofit it for Microsoft 8 when all the computers are running MS 15!

MHMRA of Harris County Photos

MHMRA Help Line

+ Add Photo

Worked for MHMRA of Harris County? Contribute to the Community!